Thread: Trade thoughts

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Trade thoughts

In 30 team keeper league, we use the actual playes salaries for the cap. Thoughts on this trade?

To Me
    Andy McDonald
    J.P. Dumont

To him
    Alex Tanguay
    Josef Stumpel

I...am your father.

Default Re:Trade thoughts

He\'s obviously banking on McDonald\'s production dropping without Selanne. I don\'t think it will drop as much as people think, but this deal is still not worth doing.
    Tanguay and Stumpel will end up with more points this year. Didn\'t look at the salaries, but looking at the names I would think the salaries are pretty close
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Icon

Salaries are:

Andy McDonald: 2 more seasons at 3.333 million per
    J.P. Dumont: 1 more season at 2.5 million (contract year)

Josef Stumpel: 2 more seasons at 2.25 million per
    Alex Tanguay: 2 more seasons at 5.375 million per

You\'d be saving quite a bit of cap room with the move, and with dumont in a contract year, you might see an increase in his production this season...

McDonald will be 30 years old this coming season
    Dumont will be 29 years old this coming season
    Stumpel will be 35 years old this coming season
    Tanguay will be 28 years old this coming season

All things considered and not knowing your scoring system, I\'d say take the trade... Like dobber says, McDonald\'s production probably won\'t drop very much (if selanne doesn\'t return). On the other hand, tanguay\'s production could drop significantly in a Keenan system.

The ages of these guys is what puts it over the edge for me... You\'d be getting a return for stumpel (he\'ll likely retire in a year or so), and all the other ages are similar. I don\'t think you\'d be giving much up in the way of production capability... The fact that you\'ll have both mcdonald and dumont for likely 5-7 more years each, while you\'ll only have tanguay for 5-7 more years and stumpel for 2, tells me that this is better for you in the long run.
    12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW

I...am your father.

Valid points, but getting value for Stumpel in another deal would be better than getting value in this deal. I never look beyond three years in a keeper pool, because generally my entire roster has been traded at least once within three years.
    So with that in mind, McDonald drops 5-10 points without Teemu (not as much as people think, but still a little). Dumont is coming off a career year which he won\'t match in a reduced role (reduced in the sense that he will be facing tighter defense with the loss of a couple of wingers and the theory that Radulov will steal No.1 PP time). Stumpel and Tanguay will both match what they did last year.
    That\'s a substantial salary cut, so that makes it worth considering. But...also would need to consider the fact that Tanguay is LW - the most difficult position (other than maybe goalie) to fill in fantasy leagues.

I still think I would sit tight on this one.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

blindedbyfear

I\'m not going to re-iterate everything that\'s been said above, but I\'d make this trade only if I needed the cap space. If you really need the cap space, and you can\'t get better value, it\'s not a bad trade. If you don\'t need the cap space, trading away a really good LW in Tanguay isn\'t the best move you could make.