Thread: Monahan

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Monahan

Sean Monahan found the back of the net once again. How can the Flames even think of sending this guy down?
    i'm cool with this sentiment, just as long as people don't start freaking out about how it was the wrong decision when he goes the next 10 games without scoring (i.e. shooting 15%).

/end rant

Banned

I think people should stop freaking out about shooting percentage.

Dobber Sports Pro

Monahan was always in the mix to make Calgary, but with this start he's in my eyes at least solidified the fact that he should be in the NHL for the full season. He's not the difference between making the playoffs or not making them but as he's proven he can compete with the big boys and they may as well go with it for the season.
    Straight Points keeper league. Keep 5 Forwards,3 defence,1 goalie.

F: Nicklas Backstrom, Joe Thornton, Henrik Zetterberg, Zach Parise, Logan Couture

D: Erik Karlsson, Alex Pietrangelo, Oliver Ekman-Larsson

G: Sergei Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm just glad someone posted a thread about the kid. I feel he's been kinda slept on for being a PPG on what was considered one of the worse teams in the league (probably still is). I guess skating with Hudler and Baertschi can't hurt, and getting top line PP minutes, but I like his story. Just so much talk about Hertl, Mackinnon, Nieto, Barkov etc... makes him seem a bit neglected.
    Tweet @ Me brah!
    10 team Auction Keeper-Year 7, No FAs, Points only, Weekly Lineups
    C-Backstrom, Stepan, Desharnais
    W-Ovie, Pacioretty, Kadri, Nyquist, Granlund, Schwartz
    D- Chara, Wideman, Kronwall, Phaneuf
    G-Varlamov
    Bench: Schenn, MSmith, Yakupov, Hartnell, Gionta, Williams, Carle
    Farm: Barkov, Kucherov, Monahan, Trouba, Klimchuk, Poirier, Nieto, Toffoli, Dumba, Gormley, GReinhart, BSmith, Aberg
    Proud owner of entire first round in KPL 2015 prospect draft

Dobber Sports Sage

It's still early but I'm already willing to admit I was probably wrong about this kid. He is much better then I thought.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    It's still early but I'm already willing to admit I was probably wrong about this kid. He is much better then I thought.
    It's funny. I saw him play a number of times in Ottawa....and while he was really good...I didn't think he'd perform anywhere near the level he is right now either. Same thing happened with Logan Couture. He was good, but just didn't seem anywhere close to dominate from what I saw.

So yeah, there goes my future as a scout.

Banned

Brian Kilrea knows his shit

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Brian Kilrea knows his shit
    He's really turned out some high quality NHL players. A lot of complete players.

als_revenge - I thought exactly the same thing about Couture. Man, he's under-rated good. I always come away impressed by him whenever I watch a Sharks game.

I watched only a handful of '67's games where Monahan was playing, he was good offensively, but it looks like he's a legit player...and still so young. Lucky Flames to be able to grab a player like that is awesome for the franchise.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Wizard

I read so much about him before my league's draft and found that scouts were split on his offensive ability. Defensively, they all said he'd have no problem but some were questioning his offensive upside. Likely clouded by how poor his team was last year so he didn't show the expected offensive numbers jump. I am almost starting to regret I picked Elias Lindholm over Monahan. Still early, though, but so far indications are Monahan is the real deal.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Definitely love the kid's survival instincts. They did say at the draft that OHL coaches voted him the 2nd smartest player behind Drouin in the draft. At least he was smart enough to pack on 20lbs in the summer to help prepare himself for the physical toll. He survived being on one of the worst teams in juniors last year and looks like he's found a way to survive a crappy NHL team as well. Good on Monahan, I think he's surprised more than any other prospect so far. Except superstar Hertl of course!
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    I read so much about him before my league's draft and found that scouts were split on his offensive ability. Defensively, they all said he'd have no problem but some were questioning his offensive upside. Likely clouded by how poor his team was last year so he didn't show the expected offensive numbers jump. I am almost starting to regret I picked Elias Lindholm over Monahan. Still early, though, but so far indications are Monahan is the real deal.
    I picked Lindholm over Monahan too, and had a chance to get him in a deal that involved Zibanejad. Both seem like bad mistakes on my part as it stands now, but it's important to realize we are still talking about 19-20 year olds.

While Monahan is definately better then I anticipated, someone like Lindholm is a 3rd/4th liner while not injured, different situation then Monahan who in practicality now is being played 1st line center minutes.
    REIGNING CHAMPION
    15 Team Limited Keeper League (18 years)
    32 Roster Spots, Protect 17,<41 games played;auto-protected
    12 Forwards, 6 Defensemen, 2 Goalies
    MY TEAM (4 years)
    Forwards: Backstrom,Ovechkin,Kuznetsov,Forsberg,Tavares, Barkov,Huberdeau,Stamkos,Hall,J.Hockey,Dadonov,Carter,Perry,Kesler,Maroon
    Defense: Karlsson,Hedman,OEL,Klingberg,Krug,Byfuglien,Keith,Seabrook
    Goalies: Bobrovsky,Vasilevsky
    Prospects: Bokk,Hayton,Dobson,Blackwood,Comrie,Hogberg
    Scoring: G: 2 A: 1 +/-: 0.5 PIM: 0.2 W: 4 L: -1 SO:5 OTL: 1