Thread: First Aid for Fantasy Fanatics - The Primary Survey

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default First Aid for Fantasy Fanatics - The Primary Survey

The Primary Survey

Last week I wrote about the first step in rescuing your fantasy team, which of course is the scene evaluation. If you think your team needs the first step, read this. http://forums.dobbersports.com/showthread.php?t=158659

Disclaimer: This initial post also contains additional information regarding first aid methods described here and in subsequent posts. Do not go above your level of training and in any emergency, always call your respective country's emergency number.

An emergency can occur anywhere, a fantasy situation is no different. A manager in my keeper league was a little pissed off because I had picked up Cory Schneider from the FA list. This was a few years ago and at the time he didn’t have access to his yahoo league like he does now. Technology anyone?

My five-year-old son broke his Olecranon last week by slipping off the monkey bars at kindergarten. For those of you that didn’t “switch off” at the word olecranon, it’s the bony point of your elbow If you hold your elbow at 90 degrees and touch the point, that’s the bone my son broke. Don’t cry, he’s a crazy daredevil that refuses to recognize the term “calculated risk”. I’m so proud!

Now remember, RSE already done.

Primary Survey

The first thought in an emergency is the patient’s Level of Consciousness and whether or not they may have a Delicate Spine, if mechanism of injury is such that they may have a delicate spine then you immediately immobilize the head and neck. Are the head, neck and backbone of your fantasy team fragile or secure? Are you, as a general manager, fragile or secure? Is the patient alert? Are you as a manager alert to what’s happening in your league and the NHL?

I’m ruling out spinal considerations based on the fact this is meant to be applied to a fantasy team. If you’re not trained to do so you never rule out a delicate spine.

Our Airway (or throat in layman's terms), without it the autonomous act of ventilating oneself cannot continue. If your fantasy team is missing a star player you need to fix that first. If the airway is insufficient it can be corrected in one of two ways. A jaw-thrust or head/tilt chin-lift could be applied, if trained to do so! (and also dependant on spinal considerations.)

Get your star player, by trade or draft. The key is not to let them go, maintain your airway!

Breathing is measured differently, depending on how you’re trained, but there are three general requirements that I will apply. These are the rate at which you breathe, the quality of the breath you take and whether or not your breathing is effective. We also have two lungs so make sure the breathing is the same in both.

Is your fantasy team breathing? Can you honestly say that at least 50% of your squad can finish higher than 50% of the rest of your league? Is your team effective? Does your team have a proportionate amount of veterans to rookies, proven to potential?

What is the quality of your team like? Do you favour “underdog” teams? You could have every potential superstar from bottom feeding teams on your roster, and still finish in the bottom 25-35% of your league.

Circulation is simply the blood flowing through our body delivering oxygen and providing life. Depending on the type of league you’re in depends on how “life” is delivered. A one year league with unlimited moves could provide a constant supply of points at the right time. Keeper leagues, partial keeper leagues, limited move and limited trade leagues all restrict the circulation you can provide your squad.

In other words, don’t get caught up in too much hype at the beginning of a season. At the end of the season you may not have any moves left, bye-bye circulation.

Airway, Breathing and Circulation must be treated immediately if inadequate!

The Rapid Body Survey provides a first responder the ability to locate any other threats to life, or limb. An RBS is conducted as follows; Head, Neck, Shoulders, Chest, Back, Abdomen, Hips, Upper Leg, Lower Leg, Ankles, Feet, Upper Arm, Lower Arm, Wrists and Hands. This should take no more than a minute, you’re looking for obvious deformities, open wounds, tenderness and swelling.

Every once in a while your fantasy roster will need a rapid team assessment. Like an RBS you start at the top and work your way down. Centers (Head, Neck and Shoulders), Defense (Chest and Back), Goalie (Abdomen and Hips), Right Wing (Upper and Lower Right Arm and Leg) and Left Wing (Upper and Lower Left Arm and Leg.)

Systematically assess each section of your team looking for holes, weaknesses or any other “team threatening” situation.

In an emergency situation trained personnel complete the above mentioned process in sequence, deviating only for critical interventions or protocols. When assessing your team it is not imperative to follow the same process. However, like most things in life, if you follow a routine or an established method of practice the task at hand becomes easier and less mistakes are made. Get into a habit or a comfortable routine of assessing your team’s needs.

Upon completion of the Rapid Body Survey, all critical components established and maintained, the medical attendant completes one final check before transport. The acronym that I was taught is SOAP. Skin, Oxygen, Airway and Position. Is your patient showing signs of shock? Do they need oxygen therapy? Is the airway open and maintained and are they in a position of comfort?

From a fantasy team perspective, is your team showing signs of slowing down? Do you need to add new life? Does your team have a franchise player and are you in a position to win?

At the end of the Primary Survey the decision of how to Transport the patient should already have been determined. Is this individual in the Rapid Transport Category or can they be delivered to an emergency facility with less urgency. How urgent are your fantasy team needs. Do you need to act rapidly or can you treat “in the field”?

RTC or Rapid Transport Category patients are “Locked and Loaded”, they are securely strapped to the stretcher and placed in the ambulance. Lights, sirens and hospital bound.

The Secondary Survey, which I will discuss next week, can be completed en-route to medical aid or in the field depending on transport decision.

Quick recap on the emergency medical process covered so far;

Rescue Scene Evaluation
    - Your safety is the first priority
    - Hazards on scene must be eliminated
    - Environment, is it conducive to provide quality medical care
    - Mechanism of Injury, does it indicate a need for spinal immobilization?
    - Personal Protective Equipment, gloves etc.
    - How many are injured

Primary Survey
    - Delicate Spine
    - Level of Consciousness (AVPU)
    - Airway
    - Breathing
    - Circulation
    - Rapid Body Survey
    - SOAP

Transport Decision – RTC or non-RTC

Secondary Survey (discussed next week)

Thanks for reading, any questions feel free to PM or email me.

Cheers

Six
    Last edited by sixhands; October 15, 2013 at 3:59 PM.
    Keeper-G/A/PPG/SHG/GWG/W/SO
    C-Steen-Pavelski-Stepan-Bergeron-Malkin
    L-Ovechkin-Johansson-Ladd-Eriksson
    R-Perry-Backes-Wheeler-Hornqvist-Nash
    D-Burns-Byfuglien-Letang-Shattenkirk-Vatanen
    G-Andersen-Luongo
    Farm-Condon-Horvat-Namestnikov-Walman-Murray(G)

Think you can write fiction? Enter this quarterly competition.
    http://www.flash500.com