Thread: Who to drop: Purcell or MacKinnon

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Who to drop: Purcell or MacKinnon

Seabrook just hit the wire in my league (see sig), and I need help on D. I'm stacked at forward so I can drop one of Purcell or MacKinnon.

-I've got Stamkos, so Purcell provides a nice one-two punch, but realistically given how deep my forwards are, I'd probably only start him during weeks when TB plays 4 games.
    -MacKinnon is unproven, and despite his strong start, he's getting limited minutes and little PP time. I'd just hate to drop him knowing he could have a ~70 point Patrick Kane-like rookie season.

So - options are:
    1) Drop Purcell
    2) Drop MacKinnon
    3) Keep the forwards cause Seabrook will be garbage

Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Immortal

Points only I wouldn't drop either of those for Seabrook. Wait for someone else to get fed up with a more offensive dmam.

Dobber Sports Monster

Keep the forwards. In points-only both Purcell and Mac will out point Seabrook. You have a 3 game bump you'll need to address with Edler getting suspended. In points-only leagues forwards are supreme over most defensive players. Seabrook COULD maybe top out at 40 points. Both Purcell and Mac will surpass those totals. Mac will play enough.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Seabrook just hit the wire in my league (see sig), and I need help on D. I'm stacked at forward so I can drop one of Purcell or MacKinnon.

-I've got Stamkos, so Purcell provides a nice one-two punch, but realistically given how deep my forwards are, I'd probably only start him during weeks when TB plays 4 games.
    -MacKinnon is unproven, and despite his strong start, he's getting limited minutes and little PP time. I'd just hate to drop him knowing he could have a ~70 point Patrick Kane-like rookie season.

So - options are:
    1) Drop Purcell
    2) Drop MacKinnon
    3) Keep the forwards cause Seabrook will be garbage

Thoughts?
    My gut says to drop Purcell. You have Tampa covered with Stammer. While Mack's time is understandably troublesome, you'd regret dropping him if he indeed becomes another Patrick Kane..

I may be a biased Hawks fan though...

Just my $.02.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Shakedown View Post
    Keep the forwards. In points-only both Purcell and Mac will out point Seabrook. You have a 3 game bump you'll need to address with Edler getting suspended. In points-only leagues forwards are supreme over most defensive players. Seabrook COULD maybe top out at 40 points. Both Purcell and Mac will surpass those totals. Mac will play enough.
    It's not a question of whether they will outpoint seabrook (obviously they will). It's a question of whether Seabrook will outpoint my current 4 defensemen.

You have to look at the point differential by position, because I have to start minimum 3 defensemen every week. In other words you can't compare the points of a defenseman to that of a forward.

Having both Mack/Purcell is probably overkill. As you can see I'm already stacked on forwards - If I keep both it is very likely one of the two will get little-to-no playing time the entire season (until Spezza or Loops get injured).
    Last edited by blayze; October 12, 2013 at 1:06 AM.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

12 team 14 player? Seabrook is marginal in a 12 team league. right on the edge of "maybe good, maybe bad". Sure there isn't a better point scoring D-Man out there?

Once you find your point scoring D-Man ..

I'm normally not a fan of Purcell, but given the simplicity of your league's stats, he could be good. Still, my instinct is to drop Purcell, keep MacKinnon.

BTW Purcell doesn't play with Stamkos except on the PP: http://hockey.dobbersports.com/froze...3gamelines.php

Dobber Sports All-Star

I don't think Seabrook will help much more in a pts only league. Why did the current manager drop him?
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Ninja

I agree with you guys that Seabrook isn't the greatest option, but he's a solid 40 point guy with some upside in my eyes. The current GM dropped him because he was already stacked at D.

At 96% ownership in CBS pools, he's the most owned free agent available. Other options include Carlson, McDonaugh, Hamilton, Giordano, Myers, Leddy, Seth Jones, Kulikov.

It's slim pickings fellas...
    Last edited by blayze; October 12, 2013 at 1:27 AM.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Gio is the guy that you want right now. Apparently the Calgary rebuild is officially over. At least that's what guys like Gio, Wideman and Monajesus think.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Pro

Seabrook being dropped in your league's format isn't a big deal. Both MacKinnon and Purcell will have more value to your team.

The Great One

This might be a dumb question, but does your league allow trades? And if so, could MacKinnon or Purcell net more than Seabrook.

Dobber Sports Genius

With both Lupul and Spezza on yuur tean you are going to want some forward depth for when they get injured so you dont miss a beat when they do. I would keep both your forwards as you will use them at some point this year.
    Seabrook might match you current D in scoring points but its not enough for you to pick him up considering who you have to drop to get him.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    This might be a dumb question, but does your league allow trades? And if so, could MacKinnon or Purcell net more than Seabrook.
    Nah, they're all borderline waiver wire guys.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I agree with you guys that Seabrook isn't the greatest option, but he's a solid 40 point guy with some upside in my eyes. The current GM dropped him because he was already stacked at D.

At 96% ownership in CBS pools, he's the most owned free agent available. Other options include Carlson, McDonaugh, Hamilton, Giordano, Myers, Leddy, Seth Jones, Kulikov.

It's slim pickings fellas...
    Seabrook's had one 40+ point season in his career, with 34 points being his next best. I don't see him being an obvious upgrade over any of your D. Perhaps Martin when Letang comes back, but given that someone of similar value in Giordano is available, I wouldn't bother claiming Seabrook.

I agree with Derek with regards to having those forwards as insurance given you have Spezza and Lupul.

I'd stand pat.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Thanks fellas - sounds like there's a solid consensus here.

You have talked me off the ledge... for now