Thread: Studs and Duds - Friday 10/11

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Studs and Duds - Friday 10/11

Studs

Barkov/Fleischmann/Boyes

Florida's top line combined for a whopping total of ten points against the Pittsburgh Penguins tonight. Flash led off with four points (1 goal and 3 assists), Barkov with three points (1 goal and 2 assists) and Boyes with three (2 goals and 1 assist). If you didn't take Barkov in your draft with a top-three pick, you're going to regret it as Florida's offence has progressed with his arrival. Florida is a young team oozing with high potential young forwards, they could be deadly with years to come.

Showdown in Raleigh

Cam Ward and Jonathan Quick were spectacular in a great goaltending duo between the Hurricanes and the Kings. Ward had an impressive night stopping 36/37 shots, finishing with a .972 save percentage. Quick also put on a dominant display against the lightning stopping 27/28 shots, ending the night with a .964 save percentage. The duo brought the game to a shoot out in which LA won on the stick of Jeff Carter.

Seguin/Benn/Chiasson

The Dallas Stars had an impressive night due to their top scoring line. The three players totalled for a stunning nine points as the Stars rolled the Jets 4-1. Seguin led the way with two goals and two assists. Benn followed up with one goal and two assists, while Chiasson continued his impressive start with one goal and one assist. Looks like a change in scenery was all it took for Seguin to show fantasy owners what he can do in the right situation.

Duds

Claude Giroux who?

Giroux is off to another slow start in Philadelphia. The Flyers captain has failed to put up a single point in any of his first five games. Craig Berube has his work cut out for him if he's going to get Giroux performing the way we know is capable. Fantasy owners may want to hold out on moving him just yet as it is only the beginning of the season.

The Philadelphia Flyers

***PAGING THE PHILADELPHIA FLYERS!***
    ***PAGING THE PHILADELPHIA FLYERS!***
    ***THE NHL SEASON HAS BEGUN!!!***

The Philadelphia Flyers had a chance to end an offensive drought against the Phoenix Coyotes and failed. The Flyers scored one goal on 37 shots against backup goaltender Thomas Greiss. That's right, a backup had a save percentage of .973 against one of the potentially best NHL forward crops. Zac Rinaldo's stupidity helped Phoenix get the winning goal on a beautiful Oliver Ekman-Larsson goal.

The Flyers as a whole have had an abysmal start to forget. In their first five games, the Flyers have scored only six goals, and allowed 12 against. While the firing of Peter Laviolette may have surprised many, Paul Holmgren's head isn't far from the chopping block. The Flyers currently hold 8th position in the Metropolitan Division and 29th in the league (The Sabres are in 30th).

Phili will have to pick it up soon if they don't want to be sellers at the trade deadline. They have another tough contest tomorrow night against the Detroit Red Wings.

The Pittsburgh Penguins Goaltending situation

We all know that when it comes to the regular season, Marc-Andre Fleury will get you at least 40 wins. But can he play 82 games? With Tomas Vokoun out for an extended period of time due to a blood clot, Jeff Zatkoff had a very shaky start against the Panthers in which he allowed six goals on 30 shots, ending the night with a .800 save percentage. Ray Shero may need to find a new backup goalie if Zatkoff continues these performances.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by FutureFF; October 11, 2013 at 11:49 PM.
    Alan Murray
    Twitter: Alanmurray2
    Studs & Duds Writer for 2013/2014 NHL season
    League History:
    SCFHL2 (30 Team Dynasty of 7 Seasons) 1 Championship
    UNFFHL (24 Team Dynasty of 6 Seasons) 0 Championships
    Goal: Win more Championships
    Development for success: Hope and pray

Dobber Sports Monster

Thanks FF - Good Stuff.

I'd like to add on here with Sean Monahan doing it again tonight for Calgary. Another GWG tonight. Calgary is now 3-0-2 in their first 5 games of the season and have scored the 2nd most goals in the NHL in the early going. It's a nice story to start the year like they have, unfortunately it will fade soon.

You're right about Philadelphia for sure and it won't get easier with Hartnell and Lecavalier going down to injury.

Dallas was awesome tonight, especially Seguin.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Yep. Love to see that from Seguin and Benn. It was great.

And agree on the Monahan thing.

Dobber Sports Genius

Monahan will be remembered for scoring the Game Winner tonight but this may have been his worst game as a Flame. If he didnt score that goal would we would be talking about him going back to junior again. He was invisible all night until he scored his goal and that came from an amazing pass from Bart.

But I will say this: Star players always find a way to impact the outcome of a game even if they are having a bad game. Monahan did that tonight.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Prodigy

While I agree, I think Monahan is overachieving and I'm currently in South Korea on a bus so unfortunately the Calgary game wasn't on my agenda to watch. Monahan is looking like a solid pick, but he's also the best player on that team. I don't think this production will last much longer.
    Alan Murray
    League History:

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by FutureFF View Post
    While I agree, I think Monahan is overachieving and I'm currently in South Korea on a bus so unfortunately the Calgary game wasn't on my agenda to watch. Monahan is looking like a solid pick, but he's also the best player on that team. I don't think this production will last much longer.
    Where are you located in SK, FutureFF? I'm in Asan.

I like your writing style - nice job on the S&D's.

I wouldn't be so sure about Monahan's production tailing off dramatically - there are some real glue players around him that look to be gelling - success breeds success - I think the Flames will be in way more games this season than anyone imagined - they have given themselves a reason to believe they can be and that's a big deal.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Nice post, thanks for the update. Can't believe Chiasson is playing so well. Makes me want to drop Cole for him. Obviously a bit early to tell, but if Seguin continues to play at elite level Boston fans isn't going to be happy about this trade.
    Hockey
    12 Team Yahoo H2H standard scoring 1 year
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G
    G,A, PPP, SHP, Shots, +/-, W, L, Shutout

To be drafted.

Football
    10 team league. Standard Yahoo scoring. (Non PPR)
    Start 1QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1Flex (WR/RB/TE) 1K, 1DEF, 1 defensive player

QBs: Wilson, Manning
    WR:V. Jackson, Patterson, Benjamin, Cooks
    RB: J. Charles, A. Morris, D. Martin, K. Davis, K. Robinson
    TE: Gronkowski, Cameron
    K: Novak
    DEF: Steelers
    IDP:Worrilow

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Where are you located in SK, FutureFF? I'm in Asan.

I like your writing style - nice job on the S&D's.

I wouldn't be so sure about Monahan's production tailing off dramatically - there are some real glue players around him that look to be gelling - success breeds success - I think the Flames will be in way more games this season than anyone imagined - they have given themselves a reason to believe they can be and that's a big deal.
    I'm in Ulsan.

Thanks for the compliment.

I the thing about his production is looking at the history of a lot of prospects. How many 1st year players at the age of 18 can stay on a ppg basis when you're number one player is an 18 year old? It won't take teams long to figure out how to contain him, which is where I find that he'll have trouble. As solid as his game may be, a full 82 game season will be difficult to keep his current scoring pace at.

I refuse to call him a stud, because when his production falls off, can you really call an 18 year old that nobody expected a thing from... a dud?
    Alan Murray
    League History: