Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Salary Cap, Waivers & Other Rules Discussion

The Magnificent One

Default Salary Cap

well depends then on how my team plays and since i have a year or 2 away from top contention looks like i will be dropped to the lower ranks (didnt know thats how it worked). also what happens when we are split up? how does it work with players. can i then next yr grab AO or crosby in my respected league?
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Salary Cap

The Comish wrote:
    I appreciate the strategy part of the cap, but what I\'m trying to avoid is good players being left undrafted because of their salary and that IS going to happen. Do a little forecasting and see.
    I also don\'t think it is an issue if guys don\'t get drafted because of their salary, as long as you dont let guys pick up players that put them over the cap or more than the player they are dropping if they are over the cap due to a trade

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Salary Cap

newper114 wrote:
    well depends then on how my team plays and since i have a year or 2 away from top contention looks like i will be dropped to the lower ranks (didnt know thats how it worked). also what happens when we are split up? how does it work with players. can i then next yr grab AO or crosby in my respected league?
    your players never change, all 3 leagues are always going to be tied together. We will always all draft together and do pick ups and drops together it is just that yahoo only allows 20 teams so we have to split up to 3 groups to all fit

The Magnificent One

Default Salary Cap

i also dont think it will be a problem. there will always be a team that can draft someone. just like in the nhl some teams cant keep the more expensive guys because of the cap so to here. for me i was going to go for st.louis but i went with perry instead because he was cheeper and also i liked the longterm upside. but i first looked at salary. so right now im sitting at 200. if i wanted to i could pick up an expensive guy that others couldnt get. its how it goes.
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

The Magnificent One

Default Salary Cap

Chinny wrote:
    newper114 wrote:
    your players never change, all 3 leagues are always going to be tied together. We will always all draft together and do pick ups and drops together it is just that yahoo only allows 20 teams so we have to split up to 3 groups to all fit

oh okay i see. so trades can be done through different leagues as well. good so then i still have a chance to get AO:laugh:

but then that also means that trades and FA pickups will have to go through the forums and not yahoo. same issue with over the salary cap.

i think we need to open up some threads either in dobberler or maybe our own forum to set up trades and pickups via FA. something like i NEWPER drop perry at $90 and pick up X at $60. and give the totals of the cap. this way we can make sure they are still under or over the limit.

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Salary Cap

another thing to note is that if you add up all non $5 salaries you get under $30,000 so every team can draft a $6 or more player.
    and actually the top 750 salaries come to under $30,000

i really don\'t think the $1000 cap is an issue, some guys will still not get drafted because some guys wont be worth their salary, things like that should and will happen, but that cap is fine at $1000

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Salary Cap

All right, I\'ve heard enough. I\'m dropping my salary talk. It will stay at $1000 for the draft.

I\'m still not completely sold on how to go about the soft cap of $1250. I don\'t really like only being able to trade to reach it. You could get around that by telling a buddy to pick up someone and then trade with him to get that player.

It\'s not urgent right now, so I\'ll think it over. Maybe you guys are right, it won\'t be an issue.

Thanks for your quick comments guys.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Salary Cap

The Comish wrote:
    newper114 wrote:
    i dont think we should change the cap. i think it brings an element to strategy. if you change it then everyones strategy changes and messes with plans.

as for another question i have since again i cant access my yahoo email with all the rules but we have 30 teams with 3 leagues? whats the breakup of the leagues again? who is in which league?
    I appreciate the strategy part of the cap, but what I\'m trying to avoid is good players being left undrafted because of their salary and that IS going to happen. Do a little forecasting and see.

My point is that we rushed the cap figure without doing enough research - definitely my fault. I\'ve only realized this as of now. If the majority of the guys don\'t want to change the cap, I\'m fine with it, but I think it would be a mistake.

The three leagues will be broken down the same as our draft order this year; 1-10, 11-20, 21-30. All 30 will be compared for overall ranking for next season.

The cap is not a big deal. When I ran some preliminary mocks only the top two teams had gone over the cap when \"ALL\" of the top salaries were drafted. 28 teams had money left over.

So the reality is that only a few of us will need to worry about going over the cap. I was thinking the cap should have been lower to bring it into play more, but that can be an issue for next season.
    Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League - 2nd Place
    Teams: 12
    Players: G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT

Goalies: GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV,SV%,SHO
    Pro(23) Keep(17)
    3C - Toews/Spezza/Rask/Backlund/Dubinsky(LW)
    3LW -Palat/Abdelkader(RW)/Henrique(C)/Soderberg(C)
    3RW - Simmonds/Smith(C)/Little(C)/Jenner(C)/Stafford
    6D - Doughty/Ekman-Larsson/Chara/Braun/Klingberg/Stone/Theodore
    2G - Hellybuyck/Lehner
    IR - Wisniewski/Perreault(C)/Savard/Pavelec
    Farm(10)
    C - Dvorak(LW)
    LW -Lindberg(C)
    RW -
    D - Pulock/Gustafsson
    G - Darling/Hutchinson/Condon/Ullmark//Johnson/Raanta

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Salary Cap

I think lets try it this year and we\'ll see next year if we rase it or not.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Salary Cap

I do think the cap is a bit low for the formula used but I also think it is too late to make a change for this year. Any cap talk should be to change it next year.

I don\'t think my next point has been covered, if it has well I\'m sure someone will tell me.

I hope that we all agree that a draft is made to draft new players to the league. Contrary to a majority of pools out there, the free agent wire should be, IMO, to those from players that have already been drafted by one of use at some point. (that is how it works in my other dynasty, anyway) What this means is every player undrafted in this draft won\'t be available next year. Doing otherwise would reduce any draft strategies to zilch.

During the season, it is possible for teams to waive players(in order to fit under the cap) that player then become a free agent.

I\'m not sure if this idea helps you out Comish, but that is how it works in my other pool. It would be crazy, IMO, to have stars available after the draft... 1.they are not even in our league 2. makes no scene regarding strategies.

Doing this enables us to keep the cap system like it is, (for this year at minimum) and it doesn\'t mess up any strategies.
    Another rule that I propose is that any \"normal\" change to rules should become in effect the year after it is voted. otherwise, it doesn\'t give the GMs enough time to refocus and replan and to me it is all in fairness. Any \"critical\" change in rules can become in effect immediately but it has to be accepted unanimously.

My 2 cents,

I hope it helps you out Comish,

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Salary Cap

Noriculous wrote:
    [quote]Another rule that I propose is that any \"normal\" change to rules should become in effect the year after it is voted. otherwise, it doesn\'t give the GMs enough time to refocus and replan and to me it is all in fairness. Any \"critical\" change in rules can become in effect immediately but it has to be accepted unanimously.
    quote]

Agree with that

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Salary Cap

newper114 wrote:

oh okay i see. so trades can be done through different leagues as well. good so then i still have a chance to get AO:laugh:
    it will cost you an arm and a legs
    Member of Comish Dynasty 24 team (since the beginning) (Nordique)
    Member of King Of Hockey League (Columbus)
    Member of Great Dynasty (Colorado)
    Member of United Hockey League (Los Angeles)
    Member of Global Hockey league (since the beginning) (Washington)
    Member of Vnhl (Quebec)

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Salary Cap

for the cap i think the problem will come in the next year when guy like kane, toew stamkos and many other increase there value some gm will have probably big problem

for modification of the rule i think that 25/30 gm will be ok i don\'t know how it work in nhl gm but i think it\'s fair
    Member of Comish Dynasty 24 team (since the beginning) (Nordique)
    Member of King Of Hockey League (Columbus)
    Member of Great Dynasty (Colorado)
    Member of United Hockey League (Los Angeles)
    Member of Global Hockey league (since the beginning) (Washington)
    Member of Vnhl (Quebec)

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Salary Cap

Noriculous wrote:
    I hope that we all agree that a draft is made to draft new players to the league. Contrary to a majority of pools out there, the free agent wire should be, IMO, to those from players that have already been drafted by one of use at some point. (that is how it works in my other dynasty, anyway) What this means is every player undrafted in this draft won\'t be available next year. Doing otherwise would reduce any draft strategies to zilch.

During the season, it is possible for teams to waive players(in order to fit under the cap) that player then become a free agent.

I\'m not sure if this idea helps you out Comish, but that is how it works in my other pool. It would be crazy, IMO, to have stars available after the draft... 1.they are not even in our league 2. makes no scene regarding strategies.

Doing this enables us to keep the cap system like it is, (for this year at minimum) and it doesn\'t mess up any strategies.
    On one hand I like the idea because it would be much easier for me as commish not having to deconflict the pick ups. But what\'s the point of having 50 moves if you can\'t use any of them?

I hate the idea of a surprise player being out there, but unavailable. In many pools this year Mike Green would have not been taken at the draft, therefore you couldn\'t take him until the following year\'s draft.

What about injury relief? You should be able to replace a player or two who are hurt. If no pick ups are allowed, then you are FORCED to trade or lose. Teams would have you over a barrel.

I\'m not sure how many \"stars\" would be available following our draft, but I think it could be zero. There may be some over-priced decent players available, but that would mean you have to shuffle your roster (IR anyone!) in order to accomodate that player.

In my opinion, the draft is for young players, not new players to your pool. I would say that in order to pick up a player (outside of our draft), he must have played at least 10 NHL games (reg season or playoffs combined). No scooping of prospects.

This would be more to what an \"entry draft\" should be set up for. The more I think about this idea, the more I like it.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Salary Cap

To be honest, I kind of like the idea of being able to draft players not eligible for the draft. So what If I want to draft one of the 13 yearl olds I saw last month playing for the Vaughn Rangers? It costs a roster spot and its to my disadvantage for the next x amount of years to carry a non player...