Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Salary Cap, Waivers & Other Rules Discussion

Torture

Default Salary Cap, Waivers & Other Rules Discussion

Perhaps we should have a thread for Salary cap questions...first of all, if somebody could fully explain it to me, cause I don\'t remember reading any emails with it fully set in stone that would be amazing.
    What is the cap, and how do you calculate each player\'s salary?

My Karma gun is loaded and ready to go (How\'s that for bribery) :laugh:

The Magnificent One

Default Salary Cap

there were emails that went out a few times about the cap. if you go look at summary dynasty league thread the commish gives a good fast overview with a link for the cap calculations.

basically you have 1000 to spend. going up to 1200 mid season. the spreadsheet shows who is worth what based on a 3 yr scale. its pretty laid out and easy to follow. check that out and if you have any questions then ask and i will answer them as today i also talked with people about the cap and how it works
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Torture

Default Salary Cap

Aaahh, that\'s where we find the spreadsheet. I think I can figure it all out now. I was looking through my email and couldn\'t find one with the spreadsheet or any info on how to calculate salary and I was rather confused. B)

The Magnificent One

Default Salary Cap

np. yeah atfirst i was also like salary cap when was that added. but its a good system and the calculations are made interesting. the draft has been pretty intesnse so far. great picks at good times.
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Banned

Default Salary Cap

I\'m interested too, can someone post the spreadsheet so I can check it out?

Torture

Default Salary Cap

mister_mcgoo wrote:
    I\'m interested too, can someone post the spreadsheet so I can check it out?

Link

Last post by the Comish. That\'s where I found it. :P

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Salary Cap

A bit of an explanation on the salary calcs.
    Stats for all players that played last year were collected for the past 3 years.

Each of the 9 stats for all of those players were then worked into a percentage of the best in that stat.
    ie... Alex O had the most goals last year, his value for G was 1, guys with around 30 goals would have about a .5 rating for that stat. That is then done for all 9 stats for all 3 years for all players that played a game last year.

From those values we then add up there values for all 6 stats (F/D) or 3 stats (G) and get each players yearly ranking.
    After all of that we then work those numbers into a 3 year overall ranking which is currently done by taking 60% of the most recent year, 30% of year 2, and 10% of the oldest year (these values may be modified in the future) and that gets you every players ranking.

We then get the max of the F/D and the max of the G and add a \"factor\" too them to A) keep players and goalies from the max salary and B ) postion the top goalies in range with the top players.
    So we know have the top ranking for F/D plus a constant and that value woudl be equal to the max contract $200, same is done for goalies.
    We then take a value at some point down the list of values, approx 45 down for G, and 500 down for F/D to get the min values, (no these aren\'t the lowest values on the chart, but any player under these values is $5)
    We then take the values of the players and interpolate them between $200 and $5 depending on their ranking, and we get their salary, sorry this isn\'t easy to fully explain!
    But don\'t worry salaries for players will be available for all players during the season so you can get a feel for where your cap will be next year.

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Salary Cap

Hey guys,

When does the cap move to $1200? Was that going to be in February/09 for the play-off run??

Torture and the Comish were hoping for June 14/08. :lol:

Thanks,
    Rad
    Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League - 2nd Place
    Teams: 12
    Players: G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT

Goalies: GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV,SV%,SHO
    Pro(23) Keep(17)
    3C - Toews/Spezza/Rask/Backlund/Dubinsky(LW)
    3LW -Palat/Abdelkader(RW)/Henrique(C)/Soderberg(C)
    3RW - Simmonds/Smith(C)/Little(C)/Jenner(C)/Stafford
    6D - Doughty/Ekman-Larsson/Chara/Braun/Klingberg/Stone/Theodore
    2G - Hellybuyck/Lehner
    IR - Wisniewski/Perreault(C)/Savard/Pavelec
    Farm(10)
    C - Dvorak(LW)
    LW -Lindberg(C)
    RW -
    D - Pulock/Gustafsson
    G - Darling/Hutchinson/Condon/Ullmark//Johnson/Raanta

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Salary Cap

Rad64 wrote:
    Hey guys,

When does the cap move to $1200? Was that going to be in February/09 for the play-off run??

Torture and the Comish were hoping for June 14/08. :lol:

Thanks,
    Rad
    the $1000 cap is only for the draft time, every year, during the year you can go up to the 1250 season limit (not 1200)
    here is the rules section on it

After the draft, teams can go over the $1000 cap by $250 (about two decent star players). Before heading into the following year\'s draft, all teams will have to be at or under the $1000 limit again. The $1000 limit is for the draft, so in theory we all start at the same base level.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Salary Cap

Thanks for that Chinny! I incorrectly gave the $1200 figure. It is of course $1250.

With the way the draft is shaping up, I can see the $250 extra being a large issue. The way the rules are worded means that as soon I say go in Yahoo, pick ups could start.

Problem is, we could have many many requests for the same players.

One way to deal with it is using the waiver system, but because we have 3 separate Yahoo pools, it will (trust me on this) get ugly with multiple player requests by many different teams in the 3 Yahoo leagues.

I don\'t see this \"rush\" for players changing anytime in the future. I never anticipated this happening.

I am going to propose a change. The cap should be a hard cap of $1250 for 25 players. It also makes for a nice average of $50 per player, meaning more of us can keep our stars as they get more expensive.

Obviously I didn\'t do enough research before setting the cap at $1000. I\'ll take the blame on that one, but I feel like changing the cap now is the right move.

I\'ll send an email out, but you can also comment and reply here. I\'d like everyone to answer, but I think this is best to deal with it now and prevent it from becoming a problem in the future.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

The Magnificent One

Default Salary Cap

i dont think we should change the cap. i think it brings an element to strategy. if you change it then everyones strategy changes and messes with plans.

as for another question i have since again i cant access my yahoo email with all the rules but we have 30 teams with 3 leagues? whats the breakup of the leagues again? who is in which league?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Salary Cap

instead of raising the cap, i have ran the numbers teams can fit under 1000, make it so that you can\'t pick up guys to put you over the cap, you pickups can only be up to 1000, trades can put you up to 1250, then if you want to drop someone you have to do it for equal or lesser value

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Salary Cap

newper114 wrote:
    i dont think we should change the cap. i think it brings an element to strategy. if you change it then everyones strategy changes and messes with plans.

as for another question i have since again i cant access my yahoo email with all the rules but we have 30 teams with 3 leagues? whats the breakup of the leagues again? who is in which league?
    this year we are all against each other, but split into 3 leagues based on the draft order

next year we will be in A,B,C pools based on overall finish this year

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Salary Cap

newper114 wrote:

I appreciate the strategy part of the cap, but what I\'m trying to avoid is good players being left undrafted because of their salary and that IS going to happen. Do a little forecasting and see.

My point is that we rushed the cap figure without doing enough research - definitely my fault. I\'ve only realized this as of now. If the majority of the guys don\'t want to change the cap, I\'m fine with it, but I think it would be a mistake.

The three leagues will be broken down the same as our draft order this year; 1-10, 11-20, 21-30. All 30 will be compared for overall ranking for next season.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

The Magnificent One

Default Salary Cap

i guess i didnt read all the emails because im confused im sorry. is there a way to post all the rules in a thread in the commish\'s corner? because i feel like im not the only one confused a bit.

before i start asking questions i would like to see if i can read the rules?