Thread: Backstrom, Niklas for Mason, Chris

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Backstrom, Niklas for Mason, Chris

I needed to do something to help my team.

How do you think I did?

I traded
    *Mason, Chris G NSH
    *1st round pick #10 in the 08\' draft.
    * & a 2nd round pick around #9 in the 08\' draft.

I got
    ˇBackstrom, Niklas G MIN

Thanks
    16 Team Keeper Pool. 2008-09 Champ.
    Starters 12 Forwards, 6 Defence, 1 Goalie, 5 Bench, 20 Prospects
    Forwards. R.Nugent-Hopkins, N.Yakupov, N.MacKinnon, J.Skinner, J.Huberdeau, M.Paajarvi, M.Granlund, J.Silfverberg, , N.Niederreiter, M.Frolik, A.Chiasson
    Defence. K.Letang, A.Pietrangelo, E.Karlsson, J.Schultz, A.Edler, J.Hillen
    Goalie. T.Rask
    Bench C.Schneider, K.Ramo, R.Murray, ,
    (Farm) Forwards. M.Domi, R.Faksa, J.Gaudreau, S.Collberg,
    Defence. R.Pulock, D.Nurse, O.Klefbom
    Goalies. M.Hellberg, M.Subban, R.Berra

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Hmm..that 10th overall could turn out to be a stud but seems ok to me, depending on what happens with the goalie situation in Minny. I don\'t like Mason at all.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Wow, do you really think aquiring Backstrom was worth that much?? Those are some good draft picks and Mason should be a great option if Ellis leaves VIA free agency, which he probably won\'t.

FYI, I like Backstrom too..
    Z..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Padawan

I like Backstrom too BUT he\'s in Minny and Lemaire is back for another season. The old crusty man loves the 1A 1B tandem and it frustrated me to hell to see Backstrom not getting as many starts as he should have been at the start of the season. Harding and Backstrom were basically splitting starts until with about 1 1/2 months left Lemaire finally realized that he needed to go with one guy going into the playoffs.

His value isn\'t as high as it should be because Backstrom and Harding could be doing a 45 / 35 split next year depending on the circumstances. The Minny organization really likes Harding and will give him every chance possible to prove himself. Both goaltenders will be free agents at the end of next year so it may be a coin toss as to who stays.

I get that you needed to fill in gaps on your team but I think you gave one pick too many to acquire Backstrom.

Hope it works out for you though.
    16 Team Limited Keeper:
    LW - D. Sedin, Hall
    C - Malkin, Staal
    RW - Perry, Giroux, Toffoli
    D - Weber, Carlson, Ekman Larsson
    G -Bishop

Dobber Sports Expert

Go Puck Yourself wrote:
    I get that you needed to fill in gaps on your team but I think you gave one pick too many to acquire Backstrom.
    Agree! The goaltending situation in NAS is no guarantee. At least in MIN you\'re sure to get the 1A, 1B situation which is predictable. MIN seems to like to keep good goalies at a reduced price [trading Fernandez when it was contract time]. This makes me think that Backstrom could be dealt at some point soon to a team that actually wants to solidify their starting goaltending.

I like Backstrom and think this might work out for you in the long run if you\'re patient. In the short term it\'s an improvement, but I think you might have given up a bit much in draft picks to acquire him.
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks Guys for the input.

andrewklassen wrote:
    Go Puck Yourself wrote:
    Agree! The goaltending situation in NAS is no guarantee. At least in MIN you\'re sure to get the 1A, 1B situation which is predictable. MIN seems to like to keep good goalies at a reduced price [trading Fernandez when it was contract time]. This makes me think that Backstrom could be dealt at some point soon to a team that actually wants to solidify their starting goaltending.

I like Backstrom and think this might work out for you in the long run if you\'re patient. In the short term it\'s an improvement, but I think you might have given up a bit much in draft picks to acquire him.
    16 Team Keeper Pool. 2008-09 Champ.
    Starters 12 Forwards, 6 Defence, 1 Goalie, 5 Bench, 20 Prospects
    Forwards. R.Nugent-Hopkins, N.Yakupov, N.MacKinnon, J.Skinner, J.Huberdeau, M.Paajarvi, M.Granlund, J.Silfverberg, , N.Niederreiter, M.Frolik, A.Chiasson
    Defence. K.Letang, A.Pietrangelo, E.Karlsson, J.Schultz, A.Edler, J.Hillen
    Goalie. T.Rask
    Bench C.Schneider, K.Ramo, R.Murray, ,
    (Farm) Forwards. M.Domi, R.Faksa, J.Gaudreau, S.Collberg,
    Defence. R.Pulock, D.Nurse, O.Klefbom
    Goalies. M.Hellberg, M.Subban, R.Berra