Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Realistic career ceiling of RNH?

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Really, you'rte not going to count 81 as full...

the previous year he was healthy scratched a bit. Not injuries.

Fact of the matter is, shoulder surgery at a young age is concerning. Do I think he can recover fine? Yes.
    last time I checked, a full season is all 82 games. it was an example, geez.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    last time I checked, a full season is all 82 games. it was an example, geez.
    But it was a poor one. You said Seguin has never played in a full season, therefore he must be injury prone. Which is not even close to being accurate.

Dobber Sports Deity

But it was a poor one. You said Seguin has never played in a full season, therefore he must be injury prone. Which is not even close to being accurate.
    That wasn't my point at all. Holy crap. My point was that we shouldn't label him as injury prone due to not playing in complete seasons and that just because these guys miss games doesn't mean we should label them as injury prone at all. Just because someone doesn't play a full season doesn't mean he deserves the label of being injury prone. Injuries happen in the game all the time.

Those four guys I put in my example were the first four names that came to me off the top of my head, and what do you know, not one of them had played in an entire season after checking in hockeydb.

Poor example or not, it was one of the first ones that came to me without having to do much research or digging. To call Nuge "injury prone" after barely playing in the NHL is ridiculous. At the end of all this back and forth between you and me these past few minutes was the overall point I was really trying to make here by using a few examples of current younger players.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Its all a gamble. If I was a betting man, and I guess that I am, my money would be on RNH being more durable than not over his career and an asset to all my fantasy teams that I can scoop him up in.

As I said in an earlier post, Im all for the idea that the Nuge is a bandaid boy, it makes it much easier for me to acquire him!

Everyone knows the Oilers have made some awful blunders, but those in the know were confident enough in RNH and his surgery to ink him to a hefty contract. That really should count for something.

But really its all just educated guessing, no way to know.

Banned

That wasn't my point at all. Holy crap. My point was that we shouldn't label him as injury prone due to not playing in complete seasons and that just because these guys miss games doesn't mean we should label them as injury prone at all. Just because someone doesn't play a full season doesn't mean he deserves the label of being injury prone. Injuries happen in the game all the time.

Those four guys I put in my example were the first four names that came to me off the top of my head, and what do you know, not one of them had played in an entire season after checking in hockeydb.

Poor example or not, it was one of the first ones that came to me without having to do much research or digging. To call Nuge "injury prone" after barely playing in the NHL is ridiculous. At the end of all this back and forth between you and me these past few minutes was the overall point I was really trying to make here by using a few examples of current younger players.
    OK, your point would make more sense if you didn't include Seguin who has never been injured.

Banned

I think at least part of the trouble with injuries that young players run into is with how they approach the pro game. You hear the term "nhl ready" tossed around a lot when discussing prospects but the focus is often on the physical side of the equation. And while adding strength and muscle is important, I would argue that a player's mental approach to the pro game is just as important and some guys 'get it' right away and some don't.

I think what happens sometimes with these young superstars is that they've been so dominant at all levels for so long that they think (probably often subconsciously) that it will carry over perfectly into the NHL. And it's invariably the guys who are blessed with incredible natural talent who are the most affected too, the guys who had to work a little harder to get to the NHL seem to have a better handle on the concept of constantly adapting their game, they tend to focus on the little things better and as a result they stay healthier. This is something I've noticed with Hopkins to some degree and moreso with Hall, their game looks like they're still mentally trying to play junior hockey where they can skate circles around the majority of the league...trying to deke out 3 or 4 defenders, hanging onto the puck too long, skating with their heads down, etc. But then you look at guys drafted a little later, guys like Eberle or Schiefle for example seem to play a more complete NHL game and I think that's going to serve them well with avoiding injury. It's only been one game but MacKinnon has a lot of Ovie in his game, it's exciting to watch but I don't want to see him get hurt...hopefully his buddy Sid gave him some good advice this offseason on injuries (especially concussions) and he takes it to heart.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

There's a reason we don't see many "ironmen" playing the game; its because everyone gets hurt. Nuge hasn't played long enough in the league to really acquire any type of label in my eyes other then skilled. Would I call him unlucky? No, I would call Taylor Hall unlucky. His injuries have simply been weird ones (falling awkward in a fight in year one, getting his head cut by a team mate during warmup). I would simply call him a hockey player.

In 4 years, Jamie Benn has played in ONE full season. Do you call him injury prone? No, he gets hurt.

James Neal has never played a full season in his 5 year NHL career without missing time. Do you call him injury prone??

Last season was the first year Evander Kane has made it through a full NHL season (albeit 48 games so take that for what it's worth). Again, is he considered injury prone?

Tyler Seguin, not one full NHL season yet. Injury prone??

Are you getting the point. It's too early in his career to label anyone "injury prone". Is he a skinny kid who needs to fill out? Sure, but the fact I was making in my original post in this thread by saying he isnt even old enough to get into a bar in the states simply means he has a lot of growing to do. He is still a kid, literally by NHL standards. Don't label him as anything until he has had a chance to really show us what he really is.
    Obviously trying to make a point with you is like trying to convince an alcoholic he needs help.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by joeygmoney View Post
    Obviously trying to make a point with you is like trying to convince an alcoholic he needs help.
    Believe me, after trying to defend my point, I feel like I need a drink.

Dobber Sports Icon

Suppose you own a vehicle and before heading to work in the morning you notice it has a flat tire. You put air in the tire and drive it to work and back home again with no problems with it. The next morning you notice the tire is flat again so you put air in it and take it to work and back again with no issues. The next morning the tire is flat again so you fill it up with air and use it again. After a week of needing to fill the tire with air every morning you decide there's probably something wrong with the tire so you buy a new tire. The next week there is no longer a problem with the tire.

Do you call the vehicle a lemon because it constantly had something wrong with it?

In 2 NHL seasons, RNH has missed 29 games (and counting) with a left shoulder injury. That shoulder has now been repaired. I expect him to be the Oilers leading scorer for many years starting next year and should be right around the point per game mark.

Dobber Sports Expert

Believe me, after trying to defend my point, I feel like I need a drink.
    I would rep you again, if I could. I would have lost it, you kept your cool.
    13 team Keeper, top 8F, 4D and 2G count. 1pt G/A, 2pt W/SO.
    Protect up to 500 points in a full season
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers:

F: Draisaitl, Thompson, Thomas, Zuccarello, Konecny, Marchessault Ehlers, O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Perron, Coronato, Seguin, Atkinson, Rossi, Michkov
    D: Q Fox, Sergachev, Dobson, York, Hutson
    G: Vasilevsky, Jarry, Levi

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'm not sure if RNH is a band-aid boy or not, but I saw the opportunity to buy low on a ppg(plus?) center as an expansion team.

I traded Loui Erikkson - a very underrated and servicable player that should put up 30/30, and scrubs; for a chance to get a franchise center for the next decade plus.

Do I think that RNH is a band aid boy? It's too early to tell. Not comparing him to Sidney Crosby, but Sidney Crosby is a band aid boy who I wouldn't be surprised never a full 82 game season for the rest of his career. The point is so what, you are still going to get excellent contribution regardless when he does play.
    REIGNING CHAMPION
    15 Team Limited Keeper League (18 years)
    32 Roster Spots, Protect 17,<41 games played;auto-protected
    12 Forwards, 6 Defensemen, 2 Goalies
    MY TEAM (4 years)
    Forwards: Backstrom,Ovechkin,Kuznetsov,Forsberg,Tavares, Barkov,Huberdeau,Stamkos,Hall,J.Hockey,Dadonov,Carter,Perry,Kesler,Maroon
    Defense: Karlsson,Hedman,OEL,Klingberg,Krug,Byfuglien,Keith,Seabrook
    Goalies: Bobrovsky,Vasilevsky
    Prospects: Bokk,Hayton,Dobson,Blackwood,Comrie,Hogberg
    Scoring: G: 2 A: 1 +/-: 0.5 PIM: 0.2 W: 4 L: -1 SO:5 OTL: 1

Dobber Sports Stud

80 pts ceiling for RNH

do i think he meets it?

no. This wimp is 'glass'. Oilers know ' jack' hence why oilers never win 'squat'.

"shoulder surgery is different now than 5 yr ago"....no its not...its the exact same.....how did marty havlat recover after his shoulder surgerys???

RNH will play perimeter hockey and never meet his potential. oilers are fools. RNH 'tricked' them.

Its contracts like RNH's that ruin the NHL

Dobber Sports Grand Master

OK, your point would make more sense if you didn't include Seguin who has never been injured.
    Tyler Seguin had wrist surgery a couple years a go to fix an injured wrist that he played through. RNH had shoulder surgery to fix an injured shoulder that he has played through since junior. If one is injury prone, the other is as well. Both have had surgery to fix an injured body part that they tried to play through.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tequilamonster View Post
    80 pts ceiling for RNH

do i think he meets it?

no. This wimp is 'glass'. Oilers know ' jack' hence why oilers never win 'squat'.

"shoulder surgery is different now than 5 yr ago"....no its not...its the exact same.....how did marty havlat recover after his shoulder surgerys???

RNH will play perimeter hockey and never meet his potential. oilers are fools. RNH 'tricked' them.

Its contracts like RNH's that ruin the NHL
    This post is 'dumb' and makes no 'sense'. No player who can play in the NHL is a 'wimp' and bones are intrinsically not 'glass'. Quotations like 'this' makes me think you don't even know what they 'mean'.

'Gretzky' played 'perimeter' 'hockey' and met his 'potential'. That point is 'irrelevant'.

It's post like 'this' that rise questions of your 'intelligence'.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Tyler Seguin had wrist surgery a couple years a go to fix an injured wrist that he played through. RNH had shoulder surgery to fix an injured shoulder that he has played through since junior. If one is injury prone, the other is as well. Both have had surgery to fix an injured body part that they tried to play through.
    Minor hand surgery that forced him to miss zero games vs serious shoulder surgery.

Again, people are wording thins wrong. RNH isn't injury prone yet. Even if he never gets injured again, his shoulder can affect his production.