Thread: Studs and Duds - Opening night 10/01

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Studs and Duds - Opening night 10/01

STUDS and DUDS

Looney Tunes Tuesdays – Edition 1

It dawned on me about half-way through my Search and Rescue training that today was the start of the season. And then I realized I had signed up for the Tuesday "Studs and Duds" column. Oh boy, no pressure right?

So I did what anyone in a semi-writers panic would do …I asked each member of my family to name the first three Looney Tunes characters that came to mind.

My youngest child responded with “I want water”, which prompted the obvious parental instincts of “How do we ask nicely?”. My oldest child simply said “Huh?” and so we move on to the only other member of the family that grew up watching cartoons on a Saturday morning, without a remote control!

Porky Pig, Bugs Bunny and Tweety Bird were the first three, so they will be the Studs. Not my choices for sure! (we’ll cover those later!)

And when asked for three villains … Daffy Duck, Yosemite Sam and Wile Coyote were selected as this editions Duds.

STUDS

Lars Eller-PP

Lars fits the bill for the Porky Pig comparison because he is a “side-kick” to Montreal’s top line. Just like Porky is the “other guy” in cartoons.

However, every side-kick has their day and the 6ft center had his with 2 goals, an assist and a couple minutes in the su, su, sin bin. Porky may be the butt of all jokes but everyone knows him and by now everyone should know Lars Eller. "Th-Th-Th-Th-Th-... That's all, folks." (That has been the closing sequence more than 120 times.)

Dustin Byfuglien-TB

I’ll admit I’m doing this just because I may never have the chance to do so again. I am going to compare Dustin Byfuglien to the third Looney Tunes character chosen, Tweety Bird.

The thing I like about Tweety Bird is that the little canary wins every time. Do you remember Sylvester ever eating “clam and canary chowder”? You know why? That little f’king canary has a deep, dark, twisted and malicious side. I’m a cat lover, what can I say!

Byfuglien’s a winner; 3 assists, plus one, 6 penalty minutes, 5 hits and 4 blocked shots. That’s why he’s drafted by almost everyone. “Awww, I tawt I taw a puddy tat but it was just the other defenders wunning away!"

Keep them kinda stats coming tweety … uh, Mr Byfuglien!

Mikhail Grabovski-BB

"Eh... What's up, doc?"

“Well gee, Grabovski just needed a change of scenery!”

The “Bugs” has been around for 73 years, he’s an icon! He’s Bugs Bunny! Even now, I still think it’s the same catch phrase that Elmer Fudd or Yosemite Sam says, “I’ll get you, you varmint!”. Okay maybe not but you get the idea.

I’m pretty confident though that someone, somewhere, somehow might feel that he missed the target on letting Mikhail go?

Three goals and an assist, for a 4 point night to start the season in a Caps jersey. And for pools that count the other stats, 2 PPG and a PPA with a 7 FOW which I think if he retired from fantasy hockey right now … He would be rewarded with carrots for life, and a little dude with a shot-gun chasing him.”

Either way, Bugs Bunny is a household favourite and, after last night’s performance, Grabo is as well. And don’t forget that he was a 5th round pick in 2004 (All that sprouts in the first year, ain’t always the ripest carrots!) I honestly don’t know why I just typed that.

DUDS

Blake Wheeler, Andrew Ladd and … Evander Kane “gets an acme slap on the wrist”-DD

There’s 3 of you and all you can manage “combined” is ZERO points, a measly plus 2, seven shots on goal and 50/50 0n give and take-aways!

Evander at least added 3 blocks and 4 hits for the multi-cat leagues. Daffy would be proud.
    As for the other 2, they’re “desthpicable”.

Daffy Duck may be a well known character but, as in some episodes, he was cast as a “side-kick” to Porky Pig. Is that something you expect from a “top” line?

PK Subban-WC

You were flying around the ice chasing the puck, I could have sworn I faintly heard a “neep neep”!
    And just like Wiley Coyote you were watching the game go by with nothing to show for it.
    Pfft, 3 SOG and 2 hits. Man … Tweety Bird even feels bad for you!

Patrick Sharp-YS

Now here’s someone else who should be producing but isn’t. Sharp helped out in other ways though, like 2 penalty minutes, 5 shots on goal and 3 hits.

This is where Patrick earns the comparison to Yosemite Sam. Yosemite is more violent than Elmer Fudd (more on him later as well) and he learns from his mistakes. So don’t worry too much that Sharp is a dud as I’m sure he’ll learn and come back with a couple goals and assist in the next two games, with the added “Yosemite” stats as well.

Stay tuned …. "Th-Th-Th-There might be an Episode 2”
    Last edited by sixhands; October 2, 2013 at 5:45 AM. Reason: formatting
    Keeper-G/A/PPG/SHG/GWG/W/SO
    C-Steen-Pavelski-Stepan-Bergeron-Malkin
    L-Ovechkin-Johansson-Ladd-Eriksson
    R-Perry-Backes-Wheeler-Hornqvist-Nash
    D-Burns-Byfuglien-Letang-Shattenkirk-Vatanen
    G-Andersen-Luongo
    Farm-Condon-Horvat-Namestnikov-Walman-Murray(G)

Think you can write fiction? Enter this quarterly competition.
    http://www.flash500.com

Banned

Buff wasn't Porky Pig? What too easy?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    Buff wasn't Porky Pig? What too easy?
    Nah, he's trimmed the fat down so he's more of a "petite porky pig". lol
    Keeper-G/A/PPG/SHG/GWG/W/SO
    C-Steen-Pavelski-Stepan-Bergeron-Malkin
    L-Ovechkin-Johansson-Ladd-Eriksson
    R-Perry-Backes-Wheeler-Hornqvist-Nash
    D-Burns-Byfuglien-Letang-Shattenkirk-Vatanen
    G-Andersen-Luongo
    Farm-Condon-Horvat-Namestnikov-Walman-Murray(G)

Think you can write fiction? Enter this quarterly competition.
    http://www.flash500.com