Thread: #1 overall pick - Mackinnon or Drouin?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default #1 overall pick - Mackinnon or Drouin?

The top-rated skater available to be chosen in my head-to-head keeper is Mike Ribeiro, so I may as well swing for youth and another elite young offensive player.

The way Yahoo is setting up players this year, I can play skaters at the following positions:

Center
    Stamkos
    Kopitar

Left Wing
    Bobby Ryan
    Duchene

Right Wing
    Giroux
    Wheeler

Which means I'm not horribly deficient anywhere. Yes, given that Giroux and Duchene also can play center means I have something of a glut there. My original plan was to draft Drouin to fill in that left wing slot and keep Duchene at center given that LW is probably my weakest of the three positions.

Now I'm hearing reports that Drouin isn't NHL-ready, and could get sent back to Q (given that he's not AHL eligible...). That's never even been a question with Mack.

So, Mack or JD?

Scoring cats are listed below (I haven't updated the player roster yet, pending tomorrow's draft).
    Yahoo! 16-team Keeper,7th yr, H2H (finishes: #1, #2, #7, #5, #1, #4)

Positions: 1C, 1LW, 1RW, 6F, 4D, 3 Goalie, 3IR, 4 Bench

Skater Scoring Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FOWs, FOLs, HITs, BlkS,

Goalie Scoring Cats: Wins, Losses, GAA, Sv% (minimum 2 appearances per week for goalies)

Center: Stamkos; Monahan, Giroux; Draisaitl; Marchessault
    Left Wing: Forsberg; Stempniak; Vanek; Ehlers
    Right Wing: MacKinnon; Wheeler; Eberle; Hudler; Pujujarvi
    Defense: Weber; Klefbom; Zaitsev; Ekholm; Demers
    Goalies: Lundqvist; Reimer

Dobber Sports Deity

Man, this question has been asked and answered so many times on these boards. Click on the search button and type in either name and you will find numerous threads with many opinions.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Seriously. I'm not saying it to be a dick.... Search the forums for one of these guys. They have been discussed so much on these boards over the last 8 months or so. You will find hundreds of posts on this topic compared to the 10 replies you'll get in this thread.

I prefer Mac, just a personal preference as Drouin is an amazing player as well. Marc's skating is elite which is not something you would say about Drouin. Mac will create so much offense just from that breakaway skating ability alone.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Man, this question has been asked and answered so many times on these boards. Click on the search button and type in either name and you will find numerous threads with many opinions.

It's cool - I'm not around these boards much, and the question wasn't asked in the first 5 pages. With the stuff about Drouin coming up recently, I figured it was worth a re-evaluation regardless.
    Yahoo! 16-team Keeper,7th yr, H2H (finishes: #1, #2, #7, #5, #1, #4)

Positions: 1C, 1LW, 1RW, 6F, 4D, 3 Goalie, 3IR, 4 Bench

Skater Scoring Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FOWs, FOLs, HITs, BlkS,

Goalie Scoring Cats: Wins, Losses, GAA, Sv% (minimum 2 appearances per week for goalies)

Center: Stamkos; Monahan, Giroux; Draisaitl; Marchessault
    Left Wing: Forsberg; Stempniak; Vanek; Ehlers
    Right Wing: MacKinnon; Wheeler; Eberle; Hudler; Pujujarvi
    Defense: Weber; Klefbom; Zaitsev; Ekholm; Demers
    Goalies: Lundqvist; Reimer

Dobber Sports Superstar

I will point out here that there is a bit of controversy over the last day or so regarding whether or not Drouin will make the Bolts this season or be sent back to Halifax, which may or may not have been discussed in the threads referrred to by the posters above.

I drafted Drouin a week ago. Today I probably would draft NateMac.

RETIRED