Thread: Radar Love

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Radar Love- updated Sept. 20

Radar Love

This time of year astute fantasy general managers are scanning preseason information in hopes of finding a hidden gem. Most savvy GM’s are aware of the higher draft picks, highly touted NCAA free agent signings or perhaps a big name player brought over from the KHL or European league.

But a closer look may reveal a player that could have significant value to your roster, be it as someone to stash on your farm team or a player making a significant impression in training camp with the potential to play on your roster or use as trade bait.

Here’s a list of a few players who should be on your radar as camps progress-

Connor Carrick

Carrick is a 19-year-old defenceman drafted in the 5th round by Washington in 2012 after playing for the US National Development Team. This past season as an OHL rookie with the Plymouth Whalers he posted 44 points in 68 games and was a plus-27 and was an assist captain. He attended the Team USA U-20 development camp tournament this summer in Lake Placid and was one of their best offensive defencemen. Look for him to play for the US at this year’s World Juniors.

He is making waves at the Capitals training camp after impressing at their prospect camp. In one pre-season game he has one assist and a plus-one. Washington is so high on him that they are considering assigning him to the AHL rather than return him to junior hockey according to Tim Leone in this article.

Chris Bigras

Bigras is an 18-year-old defenceman who was drafted this past June by the Colorado Avalanche ( 32nd overall ). In his second OHL season with the Owen Sound Attack he had 38 points in 68 games with a very good plus-35.

Adrian Dater of the Denver Post thinks Bigras could make the Avalanche despite his young age. From the article-

"We're extremely impressed with him. I won't lie," Roy said. "Every day, we're having meetings after practice and he's been the guy everybody's been overwhelmed with so far. We're extremely excited about him so far."

Conventional wisdom says that it would be wise to return Bigras to junior hockey but with the lack of depth on the Avalanche blue-line, this bears watching.

# Edit- Bigras signed an entry-level contract today.

Oscar Lindberg

The 21-year-old center probably wasn’t on anyone’s list to make the New York Rangers out of camp but he is turning heads. The 2010 second-rounder had somewhat of a breakout season last winter with Skelleftea AIK of the Swedish Elite League with 17 goals and 25 assists in 55 games. He also posted 12 points in 13 playoff games and represented Team Sweden at the World Championship.

With Derek Stepan still not signed there is an opening in the Rangers line-up. Steve Zipay reported-

Lindberg, 21, who scored off the rush on a high wrist shot past Cam Talbot in the third period, played in the Swedish Elite League for part of last season. "You can see he's played against men," said Vigneault, who promised that Lindberg will get a "real solid look."

Michael Raffl

The 24-year-old Austrian Michael Raffl is a bit of a late bloomer but the highly-touted left-winger was sought after by several NHL teams after an impressive season with Leksands IF of the SWE-1 league. He put up 46 points in 49 games including 24 goals and 22 assists.

According to Flyers director of hockey operations Chris Pryor, Raffl’s play at the World Championship along with his solid season resulted in the team offering Raffl a contract. There is hope that with a good camp, he may start the season on the Flyers third line but if not he will adjust to the smaller North American ice with the Phantoms and likely earn a mid-season call-up.

# Edit- Flyers camp has now moved to Lake Placid and been trimmed to 27 players. The third line left wing spot looks to be a battle amongst Raffl, Scott Laughton and 26 year-old recent free agent signing ( AHL signee, NHL tryout ) Chris Vande Velde

Philly.com had this to say about Raffl- Raffl has caught Laviolette's eye by being fluent in both the offensive and defensive zones. In Raffl's first exhibition game Monday, coach Craig Berube used him in an aggressive role - and Laviolette tested him in a checking line role the next night. "When you step it up to the level of the National Hockey League, you've got to prove yourself at both ends of the ice," Laviolette said. "He's done a good job." Defensive responsibility is a must under Laviolette, but whether Raffl can continue to produce offensively is what may separate him. He's attempting to make an enormous jump from Sweden's second-tier professional league, Allsvenskan, right to the NHL. Only two players have done that recently: Phoenix defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Washington's Filip Forsberg, who made the move last season with Nashville. HockeyAnalytics.com says Raffl can be expected to produce about 40 percent of the points-per-game (0.94) he produced against Allsvenskan competition. That would come out to approximately 30 points in an NHL season - which the Flyers would certainly take.

Magnus Nygren

The 23-year-old offensive defenceman is said to be NHL-ready. While that remains to be seen as he must adjust to the smaller ice having played his entire career in Sweden, he does have a shot and making the Habs. Drafted in the fourth round by Montreal in 2011, Nygren won the Borje Salming trophy this past season as the best Swedish defenceman in the Swedish Elite League posting 32 points in 51 games with Farjestads BK Karlstad.

From a CTV News Montreal article-

“I'm a pretty offensive skilled defender. People say I have a pretty good shot. I try to shoot as much as I can and I'm really looking forward to playing for you guys,” said the 23-year-old.
    Nygren is in Montreal with only one purpose in mind.

“I'm coming over to play in the NHL. If you’re not coming over to play in the NHL, then there is no reason to come over here. I can stay in Europe, easy. So of course I want to play in the NHL. I know it is a lot of long shots and hard work and won't be easy and I know I have to show my best side every single day,” he said.

# Edit- With the mounting injuries to the Habs defenders, Nygren count be quickly moving up the depth chart.

Defenceman Davis Drewiske suffered a shoulder injury in Wednesday's practice and will be out for four weeks.

In the same practice, Francis Bouillon suffered a lower body injury and is listed as day-to-day.

Defenceman Douglas Murray sat out Wednesday's practice with a lower body injury and is also day-to-day.

While perhaps only one or even none of these players will break camp on an NHL roster, they are all worthy of being on your radar.
    Last edited by Excelsior; September 20, 2013 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Update
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Dobber Sports Guru

Great stuff man, thanks for posting!! Some good tidbits in there!

Dobber Sports Giant

nice work. rep to ya. its stuff like this that makes dobber's forums the best.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kevinsrangers View Post
    nice work. rep to ya. its stuff like this that makes dobber's forums the best.
    Couldn't agree more. These are the kinds of posts that rep was made for!

Dobber Sports Stud

Thanks for the feedback.

I forgot to add my honorable mention list-

Josh Jooris
    F- Calgary Flames- a long shot but who knows with Calgary's lineup. He's a 23 year-old 6'1", 190lb forward free agent signing out of Union College who potted two third period goals in his first NHL pre-season game against the Oilers. He's having a solid camp. Here's a pretty informative article about him.

Martin Reway
    F- Montreal Canadiens- if you are into small players, they don't get much smaller than Reway but people are raving about him in Montreal. Hailing from the Czech Rep., Reway was drafted in the fourth round this June.

Here's a rough translation of an article from the French TVA Sports-

Martin Reway , the little guy

On September 13, 2013 at 15:45 | Journal de Montreal / Jean -François Chaumont

The head coach of the Montreal Canadiens , Michel Therrien was named the little guy and defenseman PK Subban spoke of him as a good young prospects of the Montreal Canadiens camp . There are not too long , the tiny Slovak Martin Reway remained an unknown pure .

In the jargon of sports, athletes often try to make a name . In terms of Reway he achieved this in just two days at camp Canadiens . As a bonus, reporters learned to pronounce his name, the W sounding like a V.

" Reway is very skilled on the ice ," said Subban , who also wore the colors of red , the winning team for a second straight day on Friday.

Carey Price also discovered this reality by making defeat by Reway a quick shot on the blocker side . Ryan White could also attest, it struck the wind trying to flatten the little winger 5 feet 8 inches and 170 pounds.

" Reway had an excellent camp recruits and now shows us his skills against the guys in the National League , issued Therrien . This can be seen even against veterans . "

"It is also very brave , when you see a little guy like that, he has said. The size is an important thing , but the result is even more . I have always said in the past. In our team, Brendan Gallagher is a small player who plays big . The guy Reway or Revay , no matter how you say it looks like the puck on the ice following . He can make plays , he is not intimidated against guys in the NHL. "

A teenager from the big

Outside the rink , Reway harder betrayed his age. Small and visibly lighter than 170 pounds on the official leaves the team, it was more like a 15 year old boy .

Possibly nervous about ending up under the lights , he asked Peter Budaj , another Slovak , stay with him for the interview. After a few minutes , the guard found that fellow was doing well enough in English to answer questions without him.

"I try to do my best , responded wisely Reway . I'm glad to be here , I try to push my limits . "

Since the beginning of camp , Reway finds left wing along the rugged Nick Tarnasky , a former Tampa Bay Lightning , and Louis Leblanc .

"He's a smart player , he has a lot of skills, he has analyzed speaking Leblanc . I love playing with him. He can find me on the ice when I skate . Tarnasky and is big and strong. We have a good chemistry. "

School Benoit Groulx

Born to a Czech mother and a Slovak father Reway took a crucial decision for its development. At the beginning of the 2012-2013 season , he left Europe to come and play for the Gatineau Olympiques in the major junior hockey in Quebec. He quickly benefited from the advice of the pilot Benoit Groulx .

" It's a tough coach, but I love him, he has said. I needed this instructor, I did not work as hard in Europe. He taught me defense system . Before, I never repliais me! It was a big step. "

Author of 50 points ( 22 goals , 28 assists) in 47 games in his first season in Gatineau, Reway has attracted the attention of recruiters. Trevor Timmins and CH have bet on him in the fourth round , the 116th pick overall , in the last draft in Newark .

Reway was not in the stands in New Jersey.

"I was hoping to be selected , but I do not want to go and experience the disappointment of not being drafted , he has said. It was a great surprise, I was on vacation and when my agent told me that it was Montreal , I was really happy . This is my favorite team. "

Younger, had Reway as idol Zigmund Palffy , a former star striker of the New York Islanders and Los Angeles Kings . He will have a very long way to go to follow the footsteps of that other Slovak .

Moreover, Reway was born in the Czech Republic , but he moved to Slovakia at the age of 12 years. He played for the country in the World Junior Championships last year in Ufa in Russia.

# Edit Reway was returned to his junior team ( Gatineau Olympiques ) today.

Christian Thomas is also having a good camp for Montreal.
    Last edited by Excelsior; September 17, 2013 at 9:10 PM. Reason: Update
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dobber Sports Pro

I was logging into the forums to see if anyone has posted above Michael Raffl yet, and I see Excelsior has brought him up here. Nice work EX!

Here's an article on Raffl clicking with Lecavalier+Simmonds:

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...alier-simmonds

Dobber Sports Stud

Beauty goal tonight by Carrick for his 1st NHL goal. He continues to impress me. His first NHL game was a little rough but the guy sure has potential.

The fact that Hillen's injury tonight didn't look good sure helps his chances of staying with the big club.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher