Thread: Keeper advice

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Talking Keeper advice

Information about my league : 14 owners. 150$ fictional salary cap. auction draft. 3 keepers (+5$ each year) + 2 farm players (at 0$)... PTS, PPPts, OTPts, Defense Goals, Wins, SO.

Ok, so I have to decide on which keepers to go with.

Last year, I finally got Seguin out of my farm team. He's now only 10$. I believe he'd go for about 25$ at the auction.

I got Tavares for 36 $ (to give you an idea, Crosby, Malkin and Ovie all went for over 55$ at the auction).

I got Rask for 10$.

So... between Seguin (10$), Tavares (36$) and Rask (10$), I've got to choose 2. Who would you choose?

Also, I've got Tarasenko and Kadri... in my farm team at 0$. He he he. I could trade one of my extra keepers for Huberdeau, also at 0$... Should I let Tarasenko go and trade for Huberdeau?

Any advice?

Thanks!
    Last edited by quantaloup; September 11, 2013 at 3:00 PM. Reason: forgot league scoring systems details

Dobber Sports Veteran

Tavares(36) and Rask(10) over Seguin(10) by sooooooooooooooooo far it's ridiculous. Not even remotely close. Also, I wouldn't drop Tarasenko. He has as high or higher upside than any prospect in hockey.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

While it seems obvious that Tavares>>>Seguin at this point - and even going forward -, Seguin is considered to be one of the better keepers in our league, because of his low salary. I think I would be able to grab Tavares at less than 50$ during the auction and Seguin at around 25 $. In both cases, I get around 15$ off any of those two. By keeping Seguin, however, I'd let myself some flexibility during the auction - perhaps I could grab Malkin or Ovie (which would be impossible if I keep Tavares).

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by quantaloup View Post
    While it seems obvious that Tavares>>>Seguin at this point - and even going forward -, Seguin is considered to be one of the better keepers in our league, because of his low salary. I think I would be able to grab Tavares at less than 50$ during the auction and Seguin at around 25 $. In both cases, I get around 15$ off any of those two. By keeping Seguin, however, I'd let myself some flexibility during the auction - perhaps I could grab Malkin or Ovie (which would be impossible if I keep Tavares).
    You know your league settings better than anyone, so if letting Tavares go gives you a sure shot at Malkin / Ovie then by all means. I would, if I were in your spot, stick with what I have (Tavares, Rask - both elite in their respective spots). My concern would be - what makes you so sure that Ovie and Geno owners would want to part with them - I thought you mentioned that Sid, Geno and Ovie have already been purchased for >$55 at the auction.
    League 1: 2021 Dobber Entry (Patrick), Yahoo Roto, 10 Teams
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G start; 5 Bench
    Skaters: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, Hits
    Goalies: W, Saves, GAA

Forwards:
    C: Malkin, ROR, Backstrom
    LW: Forsberg, Parise
    RW: Gallagher, Hornqvist, D Brown, Kessel
    Dual Eligibility: Svechnikov, Jamie Benn, Radulov, Domi, Rakell, Pavelski
    Defense: Hamilton, Letang, OEL, Suter, Spurgeon, Girard
    Goalies: Vasilevskyi, Lehner, Mrazek, Reimer

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by suvojitde View Post
    You know your league settings better than anyone, so if letting Tavares go gives you a sure shot at Malkin / Ovie then by all means. I would, if I were in your spot, stick with what I have (Tavares, Rask - both elite in their respective spots). My concern would be - what makes you so sure that Ovie and Geno owners would want to part with them - I thought you mentioned that Sid, Geno and Ovie have already been purchased for >$55 at the auction.
    Thanks for your reply. You are right : the surer picks are Rask and Tavares. The better price/pts player is Seguin, and this is why I hesitate.

I was referring to last year's auction. Sid, Geno and Ovie owners are NOT going to keep them (as they would have to pay them +5 dollars), and their price is nearing half of their salary cap. I know they'll be available at the auction, but again at more than 50$.

Scenario 1 : I keep Tavares (36$), Rask (10$) and have less money at the auction. I could give a shot at Seguin and hope to get him at around 25$ (instead of 10$), or just bid on another player.

Scenario 2 : I keep Seguin (10$) and Rask (10$) and have a lot of cap space available to bid on Tavares (at around 45-50, probably?), Geno, Ovie or even Sid. Also available will be Toews, Kane, Backstrom. This scenario gives me more flexibility, but I might have to turn to other elite players to fill in for the loss of Tavares.

In the end, one way or the other, I'll be fine, I guess. I just wanted to hear your advices.

Thanks!

Dobber Sports Pro

Keep Tavares. It'll be the best $36 you spend all season. There's literally a handful of guys with potential to put up 95 - 100+ points and Tavares is one of them...and I fully expect him to be around 90 points minimum this season. Epitome of a guy only scratching the surface of his talent.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

So, I've pretty much set my mind on keeping Tavares. Thanks!

Now, should I trade Seguin for a 1st pick (3rd overall) this year and a 1st pick next year? Could probably pick up Barkov, Nishushkin... I guess so, huh?