Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Canada vs. Russia for Gold

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Canada vs. Russia for Gold

Something yes, but compared to the Europeans it\'s like night and day.

Dobber Sports Expert

I dunno. I guess it depends on the person. Last year when it was in Russia, and the year before when it was also in Europe, I used to get up wicked early to watch the games religiously. I like international hockey above most other forms, so maybe I am just extra-devoted.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yeah I think the timing and the watered down rosters have a lot to do with it. I lose a lot of sleep for the World Jrs and the Olympics, but I\'ll only watch these games if I have not much else to do, or in the medal rounds I\'ll take a bit more time for it.

But really this tournament holds only slightly more interest for me then the Spengler Cup - fun to watch because it\'s hockey, but not exceptionally meaningful.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Kovalchuk shows up about a month too late.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Star

Wow what a way to decide the game, I mean you obviously have to call it, but how many more games/series/stanley cups/medals is that stupid delay of penalty going to cost??

Fantastic game!!! That\'s not the way you ever want to see anyone win.
    [color=#008000]24 Team / 3 Tier Roto League
    G|A|+/-|PIM|PPP|SOG|Hits|BS
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1
    C: Tavares, Duchene, JStaal, Marner, Grigorenko, Dubois, Barzal
    LW: Landeskog, Teravainen, Pearson, Wilson, Pulkkinen, Bittner
    RW: PKane, Gaborik, Virtanen, Rantanen, Stewart, Sprong, Chiasson, Vey
    D: OEL, Barrie, Bogosian, Larsson, McNabb, Oduya, Bigras
    G: Bobrovsky, Korpisalo, Hutton, Hellberg

Dobber Sports Ace

This tournament was a lot of fun. It was great to have all of those visitors from all over supporting their respective teams. Most Russian players have been in Quebec City for the last 20 days. Their coach speaks fluent french. He refused to play for the Nordiques some years back. It makes you wonder about all of those Russian non NHL\'ers. I wonder how they\'d fare in the the NHL ?
    My keeper squad on this 10 team, no positional requirement league (except 1 goalie and 1 NHL team). Points only: Parise, Kopitar, Hemsky, Brunette, J Staal, Okposo, Doan, Roy, O.Jokinen, Giroux, Krejci, Oshie, Eberle, Little, Filpulla, Steen, Filatov, Hudler, H.Lundqvist, + NHL Team LA.

Dobber Sports Expert

doulos wrote:
    Yeah I think the timing and the watered down rosters have a lot to do with it. I lose a lot of sleep for the World Jrs and the Olympics, but I\'ll only watch these games if I have not much else to do, or in the medal rounds I\'ll take a bit more time for it.

But really this tournament holds only slightly more interest for me then the Spengler Cup - fun to watch because it\'s hockey, but not exceptionally meaningful.
    the rosters for this year were amazing though - soo much talent, and for once they really seemed to gel together.

Dobber Sports Ninja

They were pretty good overall yes.

But some of the teams were rostering far less then ideal teams - just look at Sweden for example.

And no Broduer or Luongo in net for Canada - sorry but it\'s just not the same.

Like I said, bring on the 2010 Olympics, it should be a lot of fun to watch, win or lose.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Russia had their elite goaltender and their two elite lines with only Malkin missing. Canada will be back for the Olympics, unless they screw up like they did in Torino. Bring on Luongo.

Still...congrats Russia, they deserved it.
    QHL Stanley Cup champion 2006-07, 2007-08, 2008-09
    www.thephysicsofhockey.com

Dobber Sports Master

Bobby Lou in Vancouver in 2010 can\'t wait.
    30 GM Commish Dynasty
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Utl, 1G
    C:Savard,Filpulla,Arnott,Ott,Boyd,Weight,Rupp
    LW:Heatley,Morrow,Sullivan,Tambellini,Bissonnette, Pierro-Zabotel
    RW: Hemsky,Backes,Orr,Tikhonov,Artyukhin,Ortmeyer
    D:EJ,Ehrhoff,Hjalmarsson,Babchuk,Commodore
    G: M.A.Fleury,Deslauriers,Koskinen,Monnino

Dobber Sports Star

fergie26 wrote:
    Russia had their elite goaltender and their two elite lines with only Malkin missing. Canada will be back for the Olympics, unless they screw up like they did in Torino. Bring on Luongo.

Still...congrats Russia, they deserved it.
    Don\'t forget a guy like Datsyuk. He\'s been dynamite this post season. Slot him in between Ovechkin and Semin... YIKES... no offense Federov... a little aging.
    [color=#008000]24 Team / 3 Tier Roto League
    G|A|+/-|PIM|PPP|SOG|Hits|BS
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1
    C: Tavares, Duchene, JStaal, Marner, Grigorenko, Dubois, Barzal
    LW: Landeskog, Teravainen, Pearson, Wilson, Pulkkinen, Bittner
    RW: PKane, Gaborik, Virtanen, Rantanen, Stewart, Sprong, Chiasson, Vey
    D: OEL, Barrie, Bogosian, Larsson, McNabb, Oduya, Bigras
    G: Bobrovsky, Korpisalo, Hutton, Hellberg

Dobber Sports Master

Everyone forgets about Datsyuk...... Russia will be an amazing team in 2010.
    30 GM Commish Dynasty

Dobber Sports Ninja

repenttokyo wrote:
    I dunno. I guess it depends on the person. Last year when it was in Russia, and the year before when it was also in Europe, I used to get up wicked early to watch the games religiously. I like international hockey above most other forms, so maybe I am just extra-devoted.
    I\'m with you repent, I love hockey when you start putting together all these talented players and play for your country.

I was very disappointed with Phaneuf for not participating. I think the only way a young player should not play is if he is hurt. Phaneuf was off playing with some hot chick on a beach somewhere.

Now before everyone goes off on me for saying that, I strongly believe that it\'s an honour to represent your country whenever and wherever possible.

Imagine the Canada/World Cup and a youngish Gretzky doesn\'t want to participate because he\'s opening a restaurant in Toronto that weekend or Mario Lemieux\'s wife just had a baby so he\'d rather not play. Rubbish.

Of course it\'s the players off-season and they obviously feel that it\'s their time. I can understand veterans saying no as most of them have earned the break, but the young guys, come on!

I imagine many of you guys have played as teenagers and into your early 20\'s. Can you imagine if your country called and said we want you to represent Canada at whatever event, wherever? Unless you\'re hurt or in it only for the money, how could you turn that down?

What does it take to get you excited to play hockey for your country? In my early 20\'s, I played year round. Damn lack of talent!

It was a great tournament though. The Russian were full value for their win.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Master

Luongo has not earned a right to decline the offer. As a nuck fan I understand his decision but as a hockey fan and Canadian citizen i\'m :angry:.

Brodeur on the other hand deserves the rest.

If it were me I would play for my country every opportunity i got.

International hockey is taking a back seat to the regular season.
    30 GM Commish Dynasty

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I don\'t think players need to earn the right to decline. In NA this tournament simply lacks the lore of the Olympics and even the World Cup.

As for Luongo, I do not blame him one bit. He obviously and a very draining season mentally from the lack of production on ice, and the pregnancy stuff off ice. It also gives the younger likes like Ward and Leclaire time to shine internationally.

Hell, I don\'t even care that Phaneuf declined to romp around Hawaii with Cuthbert. It is his choice (and frankly a good one ).
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified