Thread: Philly - Emery or Mason??

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Philly - Emery or Mason??

Will they start the season with a clear starter or will this be a 1A/1B scenario all year?
    15 team keeper league, points only
    3 C, 6 W, 4 D
    core of 16, plus 3 rookies (**), 6 round annual draft

C - Thornton, M Richards, B Richards [McDonald, S. Koivu]
    W - Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Vanek, St. Louis, Whitney, Hemsky [Hartnell, Knuble, Lupul]
    D - Gonchar, Visnovsky, Whitney, Kronwall [Kuba, Cumiskey]

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rumrunner View Post
    Will they start the season with a clear starter or will this be a 1A/1B scenario all year?
    No I dont think they will have a clear starter when the season begins. I think that Mason and Emery will both get some time at the beginning of the season and the Philly coaching staff will see which one of them steps up to take the job. My money is on Emery but I wouldn't be drafting him with an expectation that he will start 65+ games.

Dobber Sports Stud

I agree that it should be a platoon to start. Personally, I don't think Emery is a great goalie and see his numbers last year being largely a result of the team in front of him (from the few games I watched Emery can stop the first shot, but then starts doing the backstroke in the crease and doesn't move side to side well - just my opinion). Mason really hasn't shown much in the last few years either so not sure what to expect, but someone will take the job part way through the year. I plan on gambling that it is Mason.

Dobber Sports Deity

I see them platooning but I think Emery steps out and takes over the #1 spot before the All Star game is played.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I see them platooning but I think Emery steps out and takes over the #1 spot before the All Star game is played.
    I feel the same way. I feel like he'll actually be given the job to start the season, but on a very short leash until he earns a long one. It will likely go back and forth at the beginning of the season.

Dobber Sports Pro

I'm on the Mason side after we witnessed a good end of the season from him last year.

Either way though, we're talking about the Flyers goaltending. Not really safe territory here.