Thread: Handcuff RB or WR with upside?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Handcuff RB or WR with upside?

Sorry, if this post is too long, but I hope we can get some good discussion going. I think there could be general strategic things to be learned through my example.

After losing Andre Brown I've got an open slot in my Roster. It is a 10 team league, non-ppr, lots of starters.

QB, 2xRB, 3xWR, RB/WR, WR/TE, TE, K, DST - 6 Bench spots

Roster and expected starters when healthy:

QB: Wilson
    RB: Spiller, Sproles
    WR: Cruz, Austin, V Brown
    TE: Graham
    WR/RB: Miller
    WR/TE: Gronkowski
    K: Bullock DST: Buccs (streaming)

Bench: Romo, Mendenhall, Hillman, (Andre Brown), Broyles, Thompkins

--------------------------------------------

Now I can't decide what I want to do with my last bench spot, so I'm hoping from some great input from you Dobberites.

My thoughts:

Gronk is basically my WR2 and I feel like Austin, VBrown, Broyles and Thompkins are all WR3/WR4s with WR2 upside. If I want to win the championship it is crucial that one or two of these step up and give me WR2 production.

While Spiller is a great RB1 I think it is close between Miller and Sproles as my RB2. Ideally I would package the pair for a more RB1 caliber running back like MJD or Forte, but that would leave me with Mendenhall, Hillman and my last WRs to fill the WR/RB flex spot. It would also leave me thin on the bench if one of my RBs goes down. I do have the 2nd waiver rank and will hold on to that until a good handcuff opportunity presents itself.

All available RBs are basically handcuffs and need someone to go down before they could break into my lineup:
    Helu, Hunter, Moreno, Michael, Dunbar, Joique Bell, S Taylor, P Thomas, Tolbert, D Thomas, M Bush, Goodson, Reece, FJones, R Williams, Leonard, Stacy

Daniel Thomas and Stepfan Taylor would be obvious handcuffs as I'm not sold on neither Miller to perform or Mendenhall to stay healthy, but I feel like Helu, Hunter and Michael present the highest upside.

BUT I'm also considering picking up a WR instead. There are several free agents I think have WR2 upside, so that might be a safer route to a better starting lineup.

Available WRs:
    Wheaton, Marlon Brown, Patton, Patterson, Stills, Cooper, LaFell, Malcolm Floyd, Andre Roberts, Keshawn M

I have to admit that I am intruiged by Wheaton without ever seeing him play. My opinion is that Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders, even though they are great receivers, aren't capable of scoring alot of TDs. They just seem to lack "it" when they get close to the end zone. If Wheaton is as good as the reports say, I think he could emerge as the highest scoring WR for the Steelers.

Marlon Brown has a great situation. Patterson, Stills and Patton has raw talent but maybe not the best situations. LaFell could be a breakout candidate, but I dont trust Cam as a passer.

So, what is the best strategic pickup this early in the season? Stock up on another young WR with upside? Handcuff one of my vulnerable RBs? Pick up a backup RB with alot of potential?

All input is appreciated!
    14 Team Dynasty League
    5 C's, 8 W's, 5 D's, 2G's - 3 Prospects.

Scoring
    F: Goals(3) Assists(2)
    D: Goals(4) Assist(3)
    G: W(3) Saves(0.15) Goal Against(-0.75) Shutout(2)

C: Datsyuk, Grabovski, Backstrom, Bergeron, Bozak
    W: Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, P Kane, Hall, Sharp, Kessel, Nash, Silfverberg
    D: Enstrom, Letang, Kronwall, Faulk, Chara
    G: Miller, Price

IR:
    Prospects: Galchenyuk, Nyquist, Shore

Dobber Sports Padawan

If you have to choose one or be other, take the high upside WR. Might as well take a flier that could end up being of value as opposed to a handcuff that just wastes a roster spot. Eg. 2012- Cobb and Tate

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Definitely go high upside wr

of those listed I like Wheaton, Patterson, and Brown in that order.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Of the 3 WR I would also pick Wheaton above the other two.

Edit, after today's game I would go Brown over Wheaton.
    Last edited by msb; September 6, 2013 at 2:00 AM.
    Hockey
    12 Team Yahoo H2H standard scoring 1 year
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G
    G,A, PPP, SHP, Shots, +/-, W, L, Shutout

To be drafted.

Football
    10 team league. Standard Yahoo scoring. (Non PPR)
    Start 1QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1Flex (WR/RB/TE) 1K, 1DEF, 1 defensive player

QBs: Wilson, Manning
    WR:V. Jackson, Patterson, Benjamin, Cooks
    RB: J. Charles, A. Morris, D. Martin, K. Davis, K. Robinson
    TE: Gronkowski, Cameron
    K: Novak
    DEF: Steelers
    IDP:Worrilow