Thread: Josh Gordon for 1 and 3rd draft picks

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Josh Gordon for 1 and 3rd draft picks

I can trade my 1st and 3rd round picks in next year's draft (year 2 of ongoing keeper) for Josh Gordon and 7th and 8th round picks (9 rounds total)

16 team keeper league where you keep 6 players. 0.5ppr, kick returns both the player and the special team gets points. Otherwise standard scoring.

My team is:
    Andrew luck*
    Sam Bradford
    Trent Richardson*
    Ahmad Bradshaw
    Ben Tate*
    Lance Dunbar
    Robert Turbin
    Randall Cobb*
    Cecil shorts*
    Steve Smith
    Quinton Patton
    Jermichael Finley
    Justin Tucker
    New England patriots
    *guys I definitely want as keepers

Should I trade my picks for Gordon?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Wait and see with Gordon. No point to make this trade now

Dobber Sports Veteran

Talentwise I'd do this in a second Gordon is extremely talented, but he won't stop smoking marijuana and being a head case. He could easily face a longer suspension in the future if he doesn't mature and have an attitude adjustment. Try to talk to the guy down a little bit and try to get him a little cheaper.

Dobber Sports Novice

Thanks for the replies. I've tried to talk him down and that's pretty much as good as I'll get.
    The only reason he's trading him now is because he didn't draft a kicker or defense so he could loss up on more wr. Now he's looking to trade a couple guys away. I think if I wait and Gordon does well, the price will skyrocket.

I really like his upside and I think he's better than a late first rounder next year but like you mentioned, his drug problems could make him useless if he keeps it up. Having Cobb and Gordon would be awesome but not sure if I'd be sacrificing a lot of depth next year losing high picks.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by tww9 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I've tried to talk him down and that's pretty much as good as I'll get.
    The only reason he's trading him now is because he didn't draft a kicker or defense so he could loss up on more wr. Now he's looking to trade a couple guys away. I think if I wait and Gordon does well, the price will skyrocket.

I really like his upside and I think he's better than a late first rounder next year but like you mentioned, his drug problems could make him useless if he keeps it up. Having Cobb and Gordon would be awesome but not sure if I'd be sacrificing a lot of depth next year losing high picks.
    I agree with everything you said and I definitely feel like you have a great perspective on it. I'm not sure about next year's draft class so it's tough for me to say for sure, but I definitely agree if Gordon plays well this season, the price will go way way up. It's certainly a risk but it could be a great buy low.

Dobber Sports Novice

Ya I've tried looking up how strong this upcoming draft class is and looks like there are quite a few QB's that should go in the first round. Hard to tell with RB and WR if they'll make an impact not knowing which team they'll be on. Seems like roughly 8-10 rookies will go in the first round of the fantasy draft (equivalent to top 6 rounds in a redraft league). Then there's a few guys that strong teams won't be able to keep. So it pretty much comes down to whether I think Gordon is better than those guys. I want to say that would be a group like Aaron Dobson, kenbrell Thompkins, Chris givens, Steve Smith.

My question is, how big of a head case is Gordon and what's the odds he gets a long suspension within the next few years?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by tww9 View Post
    Ya I've tried looking up how strong this upcoming draft class is and looks like there are quite a few QB's that should go in the first round. Hard to tell with RB and WR if they'll make an impact not knowing which team they'll be on. Seems like roughly 8-10 rookies will go in the first round of the fantasy draft (equivalent to top 6 rounds in a redraft league). Then there's a few guys that strong teams won't be able to keep. So it pretty much comes down to whether I think Gordon is better than those guys. I want to say that would be a group like Aaron Dobson, kenbrell Thompkins, Chris givens, Steve Smith.

My question is, how big of a head case is Gordon and what's the odds he gets a long suspension within the next few years?
    He tested positive for marijuana 3 times in college and his 2 game NFL suspension this season is for codeine. He says he is growing up and has a great work ethic and that he only used the coedine to treat strept throat but who knows. He is quite possibly one strike away from a full season suspension, but it's impossible to predict if that will happen. He seems to be saying all the right things right now and wants to turn things around, but who knows what will happen with him in the future.