Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Scott Mellanby hired as consultant to Canuck GM

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Scott Mellanby hired as consultant to Canuck GM

both Demitra and Hossa have solid playoff stats, not sure where you are getting that from. I guess it is because they aren\'t good ole Prairie boys?
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Prodigy

They aren\'t players who strive in the playoffs as the go-to-guys. If they\'re counted on for secondary production, then sure they\'ll be fine.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Demitra was the go-to guy with St. Louis and was productive. Hossa was the go-to guy with Ottawa and was productive.

The stigma around Hossa as a playoff flop is mystifying. He was awesome in Ottawa, had a poor first round with Atlanta (as did everyone else), and has been great with Pittsburgh.

Dobber Sports Guru

yeah, hossa\'s playoff stigma is more media and make-believe..

his \"poor\" years in ottawa were right at the beginning of his career, and that whole team was young and inexperienced.

that guy is capable of turning around a game all by himself. him and crosby are looking downright scary.

demitra\'s best days are certainly behind him, but he can still play a big role on a 1a/1b scoring line. slovak line and sedin line? could work.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

angus wrote:
    Demitra was the go-to guy with St. Louis and was productive. Hossa was the go-to guy with Ottawa and was productive.

The stigma around Hossa as a playoff flop is mystifying. He was awesome in Ottawa, had a poor first round with Atlanta (as did everyone else), and has been great with Pittsburgh.
    Perhaps we have a different definition of \"awesome\". Naslund has similar playoff numbers as Hossa and I wouldn\'t give him the awesome label. When it comes to playoff performances, I don\'t just want to settle on \"productive\". I\'ve settled on that for too long being a Canucks fan. I\'m looking for \"over-the-top\" players. You can\'t count on Hossa or Demitra to take a team on their back.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Perhaps we do. The Canucks do have an over the top player in nets, in case you forgot.

Not every team is Pittsburgh, you can\'t have multiple gamebreakers (which I think Hossa is). You need great goaltending, solid defense, and scoring depth. Adding some talented forwards is a huge priority for the Canucks. You don\'t need Hossa/Demitra to take the Canucks completely on their backs, that is what Luongo gets paid to do.

Dobber Sports Pro

angus is right, Luongo is the over the top take team onmy back guy for the \'Nucks, and beyond that what you need in the playoffs is depth and grit.

Mellanby should be a fine signing. Comparing him to Gilmour is unfair, as Gilmour is by far not the sharpest knife in the drawer and was never interested in his job as a scout, while Mellanby is a very inteligent guy. Besides, teams are slowly veering towards the Detroit model of a brain trust team around the GM.

I am still not sold on Gilis, though. Let\'s see how he drafts, signs and trades this summer.
    Rebulding in two lifetime keepers, squads to follow ...

The Great One

mbice wrote:
    angus wrote:

Perhaps we have a different definition of \"awesome\". Naslund has similar playoff numbers as Hossa and I wouldn\'t give him the awesome label. When it comes to playoff performances, I don\'t just want to settle on \"productive\". I\'ve settled on that for too long being a Canucks fan. I\'m looking for \"over-the-top\" players. You can\'t count on Hossa or Demitra to take a team on their back.
    If Gaborik stays healthy he could be that guy- at 25 its still possible he could outgrow his band-aidiness. In general I agree with Angus though- not every team needs to win like pittsburgh. Anaheim got it done last year with there top three (getzlaf, perry and sellanne) combining for 19 points less than Ottawas top three. Our goaltending is top tier and if we can stay healhy at the backend we are competetive with anybody. The Kesler line is shaping up to be one of the best shutdown/pest lines in the league and the coup de grace here IMO opinion is how it would open up the ice for the sedin line. I love the sedins but have always maintained that there cycle game would be much better suited to a 2nd line role. It is a style that requires patience and pouncing on miscues by the opposition defence- hence weaker d = more miscues/scoring chances.

In any case it seems like the Nuckleheads are poised to breakout in the near future and its an exciting time to be a fan.

Gilis if you **** this up your going over the lions gate...

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I\'m quite aware of that Luongo fella.

Don\'t get me wrong, I would welcome any of those players since all of them are clear upgrades on what we currently have. Adding assets at no cost other than cap space is always a good thing. A 1A/1B line here would be great to take a bit of pressure off the Sedins. Speaking of the Sedins, are they ever going to get a full-time linemate?:unsure:

Anaheim got it done last year with there top three (getzlaf, perry and sellanne) combining for 19 points less than Ottawas top three.
    Along with an elite checking line, a 2nd line that cost

Dobber Sports Prodigy

...a 2nd line that cost less than 2 Mil and two of the top 3 dmen. They were in a very fortunate situation.

What\'s with the wonky editing function?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

edit

Dobber Sports Initiate

mbice wrote:
    I\'m quite aware of that Luongo fella.

Don\'t get me wrong, I would welcome any of those players since all of them are clear upgrades on what we currently have. Adding assets at no cost other than cap space is always a good thing. A 1A/1B line here would be great to take a bit of pressure off the Sedins. Speaking of the Sedins, are they ever going to get a full-time linemate?:unsure:

Anaheim got it done last year with there top three (getzlaf, perry and sellanne) combining for 19 points less than Ottawas top three.
    Along with an elite checking line, a 2nd line that cost
    I\'m going to go out on a limb here and say that the Sedin twins won\'t be with the Canucks. Could be trade bait.
    GO BRUINS

20 team Keeper - Protect 10
    Dress weekly 8 Fwds 4 D-men 1 Goalie
    Fwds 1pt - gl 1pt - asst
    Dmen 2pt - gl 1pt - asst FWDS & D-Men 1pt PPG / SHG / OTG
    Goalies 3pts-win 2pts-shutout

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Yeah, it wouldn\'t be far-fetched to see them dealt. I don\'t see many places for them to go as a package and for what we would get in return, I think it would be best to keep them. But who knows what Gillis\' agenda looks like.

Dobber Sports Stud

Personally, I like the approach that Gillis has taken. He has not rushed into making any brash decisions. The fact that the interview process of Vigneault was lengthy and detailed and Vigneault went to team meetings in Las Vegas would appear to speak well for him. I like Vigneault\'s approach to coaching. I don\'t like the defensive approach but I don\'t think he had much choice, last year.

It appears that Gillis has some innovative ideas. (If you consider hiring Mellanby as a consultant to be innovative). The Canucks draft record and free agent signings have been less than impressive. Mellanby\'s information can only help.

I have a feeling that Gillis will have an impact at the draft. The Canucks are not going to look anything like they did last year, with the exception of Luongo.

Dobber Sports Master

I will state once again. The Sedins don\'t need a linemate. Pyatt is good enough on that line. The nucks need to focus on secondary scoring. Gillis has mentioned that moving the sedins is an option and I would not be surprised to see them moved. They would need to go as a package and I\'m not sure what team would want them and what we would get in return.
    30 GM Commish Dynasty
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Utl, 1G
    C:Savard,Filpulla,Arnott,Ott,Boyd,Weight,Rupp
    LW:Heatley,Morrow,Sullivan,Tambellini,Bissonnette, Pierro-Zabotel
    RW: Hemsky,Backes,Orr,Tikhonov,Artyukhin,Ortmeyer
    D:EJ,Ehrhoff,Hjalmarsson,Babchuk,Commodore
    G: M.A.Fleury,Deslauriers,Koskinen,Monnino