Thread: Brandon Marshall -- Buyer Beware

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Brandon Marshall -- Buyer Beware

So folks may have read/heard all about this by now, but with draft season in high gear, just in case there are some who have not....

Marshall has expressed unhappiness with how his hip is feeling following offseason surgery (his third such surgery?!?), some discontent with Bears rushing him along a bit and now has been excused for 4 days to get a checkup on the hip. A few links:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/...andon-marshall

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ot-100-percent

Hoping for the best obviously (and I have a lot riding on him this season in a limited keeper league where I'm poised to take a run at it), but I think this warrants watching and it's not the worst idea for folks to slide him down a couple spots on the board if more info doesn't come out before you draft.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Sage

4 days excused sounds severe. The entire team is off Fri-Sun.

I wouldn't be worried about this. A couple things we know about Marshall- 1) He's a headcase 2) He's a stud WR
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by pts9889 View Post
    I wouldn't be worried about this. A couple things we know about Marshall- 1) He's a headcase 2) He's a stud WR
    I hear you. As I said, I've cast my lot with Marshall already -- protected him over Julio, and felt very secure in the decision to do so at the time -- but I can't see how this development can be shrugged off without further information.

I definitely don't doubt that he's a stud receiver, but I was hoping that he was past being the head case stage and certainly past any lingering hip discomfort.
    After all, this is not a "nice addition" type of player we're talking about. Marshall is currently going at a mid-2nd round ADP, ahead of guys like Julio, Jimmy Graham, Demaryius Thomas and Fitz, amongst various running backs who can be very nice pieces. With that being the case, i do think this is a relevant datapoint that bears monitoring for those who haven't yet drafted -- especially when dealing with such a high draft pick, particularly one who's known to be a bit of a head case and is now complaining about how his franchise responded to complaints about a hip that (from the sounds of it) he's now had 3 surgeries on.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by pts9889 View Post
    4 days excused sounds severe. The entire team is off Fri-Sun.

Sometimes those two things don't work very well together...