Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tarasenko or granlund

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I don't think that would be Kovalchuk light. That's a shit ton of points and goals.

Anyways I think Granlund is the player with more flash and pure skill.
    Kovalchuk is more the 50+G and 40-50+A player (and on multiple occasions)... I don't know if Tarasenko will be a 50-50 guy. I'd say if he scores 40+G, he's hit his upside. Guys like Kovalchuk are pretty rare.. Hence the light (10-20% off in total lol).

Granlund is probably the more puck-skilled of the two, but Tarasenko's game has more brash and brawn to it. Draws more attention... IMO. It's a bit flashier in that sense, to me..
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
    Good point re the concussion! I have selective memory when it comes to my own players
    lol. Hope you didn't have one either....!

I think they'll both be ok. Tarasenko's slumping return last season had more to do with the fact that he was a rookie IMO than it did to the fact that he had suffered an injury..
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Veteran

Exactly. He couldn't skate for weeks so of course he wasn't in shape when he got back.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Mattp913 View Post
    Exactly. He couldn't skate for weeks so of course he wasn't in shape when he got back.
    Tarasenko said in an interview at the end of the season that he had a hard time regaining his vision/hockey sense. I don't think is fitness levels were much of a concern.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Banned

I think fitness was a BIG part of it. The Blues made a strong off-season workout regime the number one priority for Tarasenko this off-season. He played a lot of games in the KHL last season before even coming to the NHL, so his body wasn't ready for an NHL grind.

Tarasenko also struggled becasue he had a hard time adapting the the N.A. game. Other teams learned his one big move pretty quick after he exploded out of the gates and he found time and space hard to come by. He made poor decisions with the puck in all zones and his defensive game was so bad that it cost him ice-time every game. It will be a learning curve for the yuong Russian, but hopefully he is able to take another step forward this season.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I think both guys are overhyped but if you don't think Granlund was held in the same regard then you haven't been following prospects. He was drafted 9th overall in the same draft and has done the same over in Europe and has elite skill.

Not even close to the same class of player...ok champ
    Granlund is not in Tarasenko's class and he's not in your boy Strome's class either Ev

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Mattp913 View Post
    Tarasenko now and in the future and this isn't even remotely close. Granlund is good but he's smaller and not even close to the same class of player as Tarasenko now or ever.
    The guy who was drafted 16th overall in 2010 and has 19 career points in the NHL is in a whole different class than the guy that was picked SEVEN picks earlier and has 8 career NHL points in 12 less games? Please explain your logic to me as no matter how hard I try, I cannot figure out how you got to this conclusion.

I would take Granlund but it is a very close call and could go either way.

Dobber Sports Expert

Granlund. Too much talent in St Louis, and Hitch is coaching a team that will allow for multiple 60 ponters, and no real superstars. Tarasenko will not be given the same opportunity to shine as Granlund is given.
    13 team Keeper, top 8F, 4D and 2G count. 1pt G/A, 2pt W/SO.
    Protect up to 500 points in a full season
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers:

F: Draisaitl, Thompson, Thomas, Zuccarello, Konecny, Marchessault Ehlers, O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Perron, Coronato, Seguin, Atkinson, Rossi, Michkov
    D: Q Fox, Sergachev, Dobson, York, Hutson
    G: Vasilevsky, Jarry, Levi

Dobber Sports Genius

Tarasenko for me, because I own him
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Call of Doughty View Post
    Tarasenko for me, because I own him
    I second that, and may I say that you have good taste in keepers sir.
    20 team H2H Fantrax Cap Dynasty
    2018/2018 Cap=90 mil
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, SOG, FO%, HIT, BLK, TOI/G
    W, GAA, SV%, SV, SHO
    3C/LW/RW, 6D, 2Sk, 2G

C: Backstrom, Bergeron, Eichel
    L: Benn, Rakell, Coleman, Goldobin, Weal, B. McGinn
    R: Pavelski, Radulov, Panik, B. Tanev, D. Ryan
    D: Burns, Josi, Weber, Ellis, Manson, Forbort, Stecher, Weegar
    G: Talbot, Elliott
    Farm: Harkins, Hayden, Kampf, Highmore, Dickinson, Bjork, Motte, Foegele, Rychel, Kossila, Poturalski, Graves, Bear, Nielsen, Timmins, Ozhiganov, McKeown, Gillies, Boyle, Brossoit, Ellis, Rittich

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    The guy who was drafted 16th overall in 2010 and has 19 career points in the NHL is in a whole different class than the guy that was picked SEVEN picks earlier and has 8 career NHL points in 12 less games? Please explain your logic to me as no matter how hard I try, I cannot figure out how you got to this conclusion.

I would take Granlund but it is a very close call and could go either way.
    Tarasenk is bigger,stronger, and a much better goal scorer. I have some concerns about Granlund's size since he isn't lightning fast. Idc what Tarasenko did post concussion because he was coming off an injury that made him unable to skate so saying how many points they each had last season is irrelevant IMO. Tarasenko's KHL numbers are better than Granlund's AHL numbers and the KHL is the better league. Preconcussion Tarasenko is going to be the one we see this season and he stepped right into the NHL as a rookie like he had been there for years and was going to run away with rookie of the year. Everyone talks about the Blues limiting Tarasenko but I don't buy into that. Granlund struggled with the transition to NHL, has more of a concussion history, and he is not in that much better of a short term situation than Tarasenko. I'm projecting Parise,Koivu,Pominville to be 4 locks for Minnesota's top 6. Coyle could easily beat Granlund out for the second line center and that only leaves one wing spot that could be Granlund's but it could also be Nino's or someone else's. He could easily get buried there short term and may lack the size to reach his projected upside longterm.

Banned

Matt, you are fooling yourself if you think Tarasenko is going to dominate this season like he did early last year. He has a LONG way to go in his game before he will ever be given that kind of chance again. Gotta play 200 feet to get minutes in STL and Tarasenko is terrible outside the other team's blueline. Terrible. There is a reason he only played 13 minutes a night and barely ONE in the playoffs. Give him a few years before you expect lofty things. I am still not sold that he will ever be more than a 30 goal scorer in the NHL.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    Matt, you are fooling yourself if you think Tarasenko is going to dominate this season like he did early last year. He has a LONG way to go in his game before he will ever be given that kind of chance again. Gotta play 200 feet to get minutes in STL and Tarasenko is terrible outside the other team's blueline. Terrible. There is a reason he only played 13 minutes a night and barely ONE in the playoffs. Give him a few years before you expect lofty things. I am still not sold that he will ever be more than a 30 goal scorer in the NHL.
    Idk about that. I'm expecting around 65 pts this season.

Dobber Sports Deity

Personally I prefer Granlund. I dont own him in any leagues, nor do I own Tarasenko. I used to own Tarasenko but I traded him in a monster deal prior to the season starting last year.

I cant put my finger on it but I prefer Granlund but I think it boils down to one thing. The Minnesota Wild need Michael Granlund to be one of their best players this year if they are going to take the next step this year. They really need him to be their starting 2nd line centre if they are going to improve. Coyle hasn't played a lot at centre in the NHL so I am not sure Minnesota is sold on him being their future top 6 centre (I think they are more comfortable with Coyle on the wing) so I dont think Coyle is a threat to bump Granlund and will only do so if Granlund cant be their guy. I think Granlund knows this and will come out a lot stronger this year compared to last season. I also think Granlund being sent down to the AHL will be a big eye opener for him this year, almost a humbling experience. I think he has learned from that and will be a much better player because of it.

Tarasenko on the other hand isn't needed to be "the guy" in St Louis. In fact, all he needs to be right now is a solid 3rd line winger. Thats where he will end up playing most of this year. I think he gets frustrated with his lack of being "the guy" and his play will show because of it. I am not saying he will "tank" (please excuse the pun) but I am just not as sold on him as I am Granlund.

For me, I like the guy who is NEEDED to be an important part of the solution for his team. I like Granlund more then Tarasenko.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

Excedllent summary Chris. I agree.

And ill congratulate u now on hitting 5K lol
    Last edited by sparrowtrini; August 30, 2013 at 10:18 PM.