Thread: Drafting 1st in both drafts...what would you do?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Drafting 1st in both drafts...what would you do?

So here's the league/team in question:
    12GMs. Going into 2nd year.
    3C,3LW,3RW,5D,2G,1Utility,7 Bench. 5 Farm
    Stat Cats:
    Skaters: G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,SOG,GWG,FW,Hits,BS
    Goalies: W,L,SO,GAA,SV%,Saves

Keep 12 + Farm

My Team:

C: Stamkos, Duchene (LW), JStaal (LW), Seguin (RW), Dubinsky (LW)
    LW: Hall
    RW: Semin (LW), Tarasenko
    D: Byfuglien (RW), Schultz
    G:Ward, Varlamov

Farm: Scheifele, Strome, Niederreiter, Morrow, Lack

I drafted this team to compete by season 3 for a long time. I figured I'd suck season 1, and I did. Now, I draft 1st in both Pro & Farm draft. I will be selecting MacKinnon 1st in the Farm Draft(with Faceoff wins I think it's the right pick).
    My question is what to do with that 1st overall pick in the other draft. I know I'm weakest on D and my goalies aren't great. Here's the top guys available, and there are interesting choices:

RW: St. Louis - far and away the best player for THIS season...& will be valuable next, too. I obviously could use him, but is he more valuable than the others?
    D: JJohnson, Burns, Streit, Gio,Timonen
    G: Bernier, Ramo, Bishop, PHI & ANA goalies.

So, who do you grab?
    Also, would you look to move a C not named Stamkos for a Dman?
    Would you try and move the 1st overall for Drouin + and pair Drouin/Stamkos for future?
    Appreciate any help. Unless its from DCarr

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I would try to find a way to improve your goalie situation as it is by far your worst position.

For your farm team , you could draft either mackinnon or drouin and both would be good choices as your C position is deep.

For your pro draft , I would put my money on the best player available by far in MSL. Then I would try to move one of your asset on C or even MSL for a top tier G

Good luck!
    12 teams keeper league (keep 6 + 1 rookie) H2H points only

Rookie = less than 23 years old and never reached 60pts for a forward / 40 pts for a D

Start : C RW LW S D D G
    Points are : A/G = 1 pt W = 2 pts SO = 1pt

C - Seguin Giroux Stepan
    LW - Huberdeau (R) Parise Tlusty
    RW - Eberle Hornqwist Hemsky Scheifele
    D - Schultz Gardiner Goligoski Brodie Sekera Zidlicky
    G - Fleury Crawford Raanta Greiss

Whoever said, 'It's not whether you win or lose that counts,' probably lost.

Dobber Sports Expert

First off, good for you to have several players with dual eligibility that are going to net you some FOW.

When you say that ANA goalies are available, you mean Hiller could be available..? You are relatively weak in nets, but you have two bonafide #1 goaltender so I don't think it would be right for you to draft a goalie with the first overall pick.

Defense is definately not your strongest suit. I would be tempted by Burns here, especially if he still has D eligibility and he's going to play forward with the Sharks.

But in the end, I would have a hard time not drafting Marty St-Louis here. He just has more talent than anyone else available.

Also, would you look to move a C not named Stamkos for a Dman?
    Yes, I would. I would start by Jordan Staal. He has that "big-name" value. TBH, if I were you I'd try to land another stud on D. A player like Subban has tremendous value in your league setup and I'd be willing to move Staal + any of your farm player for him (it might not be enough though).

Would you try and move the 1st overall for Drouin + and pair Drouin/Stamkos for future?
    If I were you, I'd draft Drouin first overall but I have a huge bias toward Drouin. If you can get another pick in your pro draft to move from 1st to 2nd in the prospect draft. I'd do it. You are pretty stacked at center already anyway.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Padawan

Try what you can to market that 1st Pro pick to someone in the top 4 teams now for a top goalie, or high d/d prospect. Be selective, someone needs to be able to afford trading a good player to justify the points being given up for a title run. Otherwise I would select Marty and hold him like a carrot once teams think they have a shot. Either way that's the guy you should take.
    XGL - 16 Team, Points Dynasty League
    $114M cap, 54+ Players, Year #16 - 1st(6x): 08, 12-13, 16, 18-19

F(9+3R): Rantanen, P Kane, Bergeron, Lindholm, Tarasenko, Kadri, Olofsson+
    R: Newhook, Perfetti+
    D(5+2R): Makar, Hronek, Dunn, Sanheim, Andersson
    R: Seider, Harley+

G(2+1R): Price, Varly

WHL - 24 Team Dobber League (Lake Valley Thunder) - 2020/21 Champion
    F: Aho, Bergeron, OV, Hintz, Hoffman+
    D: Hedman, Makar, Werenski, Hronek+
    G: Andersen, Lankinen, Oettinger
    R: Reichel, Timmins, Bjornfot, Cormier, Johnston+

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks for all the replies.

DoctorRobz: I kinda feel D is my weakest position. Both my Gs will get tons of starts and I figure with one of Bernier, Hiller, Fasth, Ramo, Emery, SMason, Or Bishop, ill be no worse for wear. I guess, ultimately, to you I'd ask: who has more value to me- Bernier or St. Louis?

yougo: I agree w your thought process here. Again, Bernier or St.Louis? And, Tarasenko has garnered interest....would you trade Tarasenko for a Bogosian type D? Mac or Drouin...coinflip.

Firstroundpick: thanks...that's kinda where I was/am...take MSL and move him later.

Thanks y'all!

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.

yougo: I agree w your thought process here. Again, Bernier or St.Louis? And, Tarasenko has garnered interest....would you trade Tarasenko for a Bogosian type D? Mac or Drouin...coinflip.

Thanks y'all!
    I wouldn't go with Bernier simply because I expect the Leafs to regress this season. They were one of the luckiest team last season. They had bad possesion numbers, yet they made the playoffs.

MSL will still give you 3 very good/elite seasons, he would be my first pick.

I wouldn't trade Tarasenko for Bogosian. Bogosian has a lot of people in front of him on Winnipeg's depth chart (Buff,Enstrom), and he has Trouba pushing him also.
    twitter: @hugotwigg