Thread: the hockey worlds forgotten back in the worlds

Dobber Sports Pro

Default the hockey worlds forgotten back in the worlds

Haven\'t had the time to watch the worlds or even follow the results, which is weird for me because, before coming to Canada, the worlds were the tournament I used to watch the most (on a Russian satellite channel ... ), so took dinner time to check out the stats. And given my taste for the offbeat, here\'s a few long lost names that jumped at me on various teams\' stats sheets - forgotten names making an unexpected bid for their 2 minutes of glory and a bit of rare love from hockey fans ...

Finland - Selanne, Ruutu, the Koivus, the Jokinens (who aren\'t brothers, right?), and who leads them in points (tied with Mikko K, but with a better +/-? Try the \'Yotes checker Niko Kapanen :S

And if you want another Finland blast from the past, how about their PIM leader, former Shark, Blue Jacket, and Cleveland Baron Hannes Hyvonen.

Germany - I love this one. I got a very good friend who comes from Beaver Lodge, Alberta. I wouldn\'t even know it existed if it weren\'t for this guy, and his stories about the town are, well, either eye opening or downright scary (like, people hate the Liberal party so much that if they disagree with the Conservatives they vote PQ). Well, on a team boasting NHLers Sturm, Goc, Seidenberg and Schubert, the leading point getter is a Beaver Lodge boy, center converted to D Christopher Schmidt (Seattle Thunderbird drafted by LA and got a 10-game stint with them, but mostly playing in the minor leagues.

Norway - their point leader is Morten Ask, fondly remembered by fans of the Laredo Bucks and the Toledo Storm, less fondly remembered by fans of the Las Vegas Wranglers ...

Slovakia - same as Finland; with all the talent there, who\'s tied for the points lead (6) and with a team leading (by far) +/- (+7)? Brother Marcel. Maybe \'the other Hossa\' has hope for him yet ...

Sweden - give a hand to old hands Mattias Weinhandl (Islanders, Wild) and Tony Martensson (very short stint with the Ducks) ...

Not much in terms of fantasy value, just a few kudos to soe unsung guys ...
    Rebulding in two lifetime keepers, squads to follow ...

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Gretzky just recently traded for \"the other Hossa\" so he must see something valuable somewhere in the young Slovak.
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Ninja

Hah, I live 45 minutes outside of Beaverlodge!

Dobber Sports Pro

Zorro wrote:
    Gretzky just recently traded for \"the other Hossa\" so he must see something valuable somewhere in the young Slovak.
    They traded for Al Montoya. Hossa was a throw-in. More tellingly, Rangers wanted Sjostrom over him.
    Rebulding in two lifetime keepers, squads to follow ...

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I recall reading that Carlo Colaiacovo\'s brother, Paulo, was going to try to play for Italy. But I guess he didn\'t make it as I don\'t see him on Italy\'s roster. But I guess playing in Holland isn\'t good enough.