Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Six Pack - Brad Richards Bounces Back

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Nice article. Loved the end-of-year stats. It might mean if Richards struggles again at the start of the season, he'd be a great cheap mid-season trade/pickup, depending on the league setup.

The only thing that bothers me is that when looking at his points the last few seasons, you stop at the 91-point season. It's interesting to note that in the last eight seasons, only twice did he get more than 70 points (those being the last two seasons in Dallas). To me, this seems like more of an outlier than the norm. So it might be tough to crack 70 again.

But then again, I love bold predictions. You have to go out on a limb with these sorts of things, and you have lots of stuff to back it up. Great job.
    Thanks for the feedback and the positive comments.

In regards to your comments about 70 points not being the norm over the past eight seasons.

05/06 - 91pts
    06/07 - 70pts
    07/08 - 61pts in 72gms (69 point pace)
    08/09 - 48pts in 56gms (70 point pace)
    09/10 - 91pts
    10/11 - 77pts
    11/12 - 66pts
    12/13 - 34pts in 46gms (60 point pace)

Five of the past eight seasons, he has been on a 70+ point pace and was close in 2007-08 when he was on pace for 69pts.

The last two seasons have been a decline to 66pts and then 60pts pro-rated, but he will get more points under a new coach and a new system.

Anyways, rep to you sir. Thanks again for taking the time to read my original post.

Cheers.
    Last edited by MXHockey; August 1, 2013 at 12:25 AM.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    What amazes me is that with all of the drama and negativity he was still on pace for 61 points.
    I thought that was a surprise too. What surprised me the most is how healthy he has been through his career.

Dobber Sports Monster

Good article and good feedback all the way around.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MolsonX View Post
    Thanks man for the feedback and the positive comments.

In regards to you comments about 70 points not being the norm over the past eight seasons.

05/06 - 91pts
    06/07 - 70pts
    07/08 - 61pts in 72gms (69 point pace)
    08/09 - 48pts in 56gms (70 point pace)
    09/10 - 91pts
    10/11 - 77pts
    11/12 - 66pts
    12/13 - 34pts in 46gms (60 point pace)

Five of the past eight seasons, he has been on a 70+ point pace and was close in 2007-08 when he was on pace for 69pts.

The last two seasons have been a decline to 66pts and then 60pts pro-rated, but he will get more points under a new coach and a new system.
    Just a personal thing, but unless it's a lockout year, I'm not a big fan of going with a points pace or pro-rating. He didn't score 70 points in 07-08, or 08-09.

A lockout year is different, because you're trying to compare it to a normal season length.

My point is the same though, although I miscounted the number of seasons originally (must have counted what he did during the lockout by accident). In the last seven years, he's been above 70 points only twice (and once right on). But that's what makes it a bold prediction: He doesn't have a history of being a consistent 70-point guy. And that's part of why I love the prediction.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    What amazes me is that with all of the drama and negativity he was still on pace for 61 points.

Yeah but keep in mind that he had a ridiculous late season surge (11 pts in his last 6) in games where the Rangers just crushed their opponents, and that helped massage his numbers. I don't think he was playing particularly well but his linemates were hot and he got some bounces going his way. Take out that stretch and he's at 23 pts in 40 games.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Just a personal thing, but unless it's a lockout year, I'm not a big fan of going with a points pace or pro-rating. He didn't score 70 points in 07-08, or 08-09.

A lockout year is different, because you're trying to compare it to a normal season length.

My point is the same though, although I miscounted the number of seasons originally (must have counted what he did during the lockout by accident). In the last seven years, he's been above 70 points only twice (and once right on). But that's what makes it a bold prediction: He doesn't have a history of being a consistent 70-point guy. And that's part of why I love the prediction.
    Totally get where you're coming from newf. The numbers are the numbers. Injuries are part of the game and they decrease stats across the board for all of us.

The reason I liked using the pro-rated number in this piece are because they suggest Richards is capable of reaching and surpassing 70 points again. If he had pro-rated numbers over those injury related years of 60pt seasons, it would be a real stretch to think he could get 70.

Mainly I was using pro-rated numbers to help support the potential for him to reach 70 points next year.

I appreciate the discussion, and the feedback has been awesome. I would rep you a second time if I could in 24 hours.

Cheers.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Great article, pretty solid analysis. Now to go see if the owner in my league has not read this and is feeling low on him...
    "Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."

20 Team H2H Dynasty - Winnipeg Jets
    G A Pts +/- PIM SOG STP Hit Blk FOW - W GAA SV SV% SO

Start 4 C-8W-6D-1G

C: Backstrom, Fisher, Nyquist, Bjugstad, Shore
    W: Skinner (C/W), Lucic, Wheeler, Schwartz (c/w)Glencross, Boedker, Kassian, Prust, Arcobello
    D: Karlsson, Ekman-Larsson, Carle, Hamilton, Seidenberg, Trouba, Gudas
    G: Miller, Stalock
    P: Armia, Jurco, Pulock, Ca. Pickard, E. Comrie

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by habs83 View Post
    Great stuff!! Will we really have to wait another month for the next Six Pack??
    Thank you sir. I do have a few ideas for the next "Six Pack".

I have a 4-day weekend this weekend and may try and put up another one sometime over the next few days.

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback and comments on this thread and via PM.

Cheers.

The Great One

You have Richards as 70 points and probably more. Dobber has come out with a prediction of 50, and a sleeper stat of 65 (at 25%). It certainly does seem like there will be a great opportunity to buy Richards low, because a lot of people seem really down on him.

This will be one of those "I told ya so" threads if he can pull it off!

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    You have Richards as 70 points and probably more. Dobber has come out with a prediction of 50, and a sleeper stat of 65 (at 25%). It certainly does seem like there will be a great opportunity to buy Richards low, because a lot of people seem really down on him.

This will be one of those "I told ya so" threads if he can pull it off!
    It means I have a 48% chance of being right

Seriously, my respectful opinion is if he ends up with 50 points, it would be due to missing some signficant time (20 or more games) because of injury.
    Last edited by MXHockey; August 3, 2013 at 3:00 PM.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Nice

I have to say knowing Molson X personally I'm really impressed that he can put together so many words in a coherent article.

No seriously though a great read and you can tell he definately has in interest in Brad Richards. I think he is trying to build some hype for a trade in the fall

As a Stepan owner I really hope he is right because if Brad produces from the 2 spot at C then it will spread the checkers focus out. Alternatively a producing Stepan opens the ice up for Richards in the 2 spot as the best checkers may focus more on Stepans line. That alone could be a good thing for Richards.

Well done, great article.
    16 Team Keeper League Points Only H2H Avg Weekly Scoring
    Weekly Dress: 8F, 4D, 2G
    F:N. Backstrom, Seguin, Kane, Duchene, MacKinnon, RNH , Bobby Ryan, Tarasenko
    D:Barrie, Faulk, Green, Markov
    G:Quick, Holtby
    Bench: Backlund, Gigglesons, M Granlund, Dan Boyle, Anton Stralman,
    Farm: Namestnikov, De La La La La Rose, Jurco, D. Pouliot

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by MauriceandtheRichards View Post
    I have to say knowing Molson X personally I'm really impressed that he can put together so many words in a coherent article.

No seriously though a great read and you can tell he definately has in interest in Brad Richards. I think he is trying to build some hype for a trade in the fall

As a Stepan owner I really hope he is right because if Brad produces from the 2 spot at C then it will spread the checkers focus out. Alternatively a producing Stepan opens the ice up for Richards in the 2 spot as the best checkers may focus more on Stepans line. That alone could be a good thing for Richards.

Well done, great article.
    LOL, a tad awkward, but thanks for the comments buddy.