Thread: Selecting 8 Keepers of a rebuild team

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Selecting 8 Keepers of a rebuild team

Hey all fellow dobbers, since Dobberhockey has been so kind to me I figured I'd try my luck at the football forums..

Situation I'm in, 10 team league, standard scoring non PPR. I inherited a team two seasons ago with very weak keepers and have only moved up in the standings the last two seasons (7th in 2011/12, 5th in 2012/13).

I'll cut right to the chase, I've been doing a LOT of research already in preparation of pres-season games and obviously pre-draft.

Here's our leagues settings, 10 team 8 player keeper league, non-ppr, field a squad of 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1 D/ST, 1K. 8 bench spots.

Passing

Passing Yards (PY) 0.04 TD Pass (PTD) 4
    Interceptions Thrown (INT) -2 2pt Passing Conversion (2PC) 2

Rushing

Rushing Yards (RY) 0.1 TD Rush (RTD) 6
    2pt Rushing Conversion (2PR) 2

Receiving

Receiving Yards (REY) 0.1 TD Reception (RETD) 6
    2pt Receiving Conversion (2PRE) 2

Miscellaneous

Total Fumbles Lost (FUML) -2

Kicking

Each PAT Made (PAT) 1 FG Made (0-39 yards) (FG0) 3
    FG Made (40-49 yards) (FG40) 4 FG Made (50+ yards) (FG50) 5

Team Defense / Special Teams

Each Sack (SK) 1 Interception Return TD (INTTD) 6
    Fumble Return TD (FRTD) 6 Kickoff Return TD (KRTD) 6
    Punt Return TD (PRTD) 6 Blocked Punt or FG return for TD (BLKKRTD) 6
    Blocked Punt, PAT or FG (BLKK) 2 Each Interception (INT) 2
    Each Fumble Recovered (FR) 2 Each Safety (SF) 2
    0 points allowed (PA0) 10 1-6 points allowed (PA1) 7
    7-13 points allowed (PA7) 4 14-17 points allowed (PA14) 1
    18-21 points allowed (PA18) 1 28-34 points allowed (PA28) -1
    35-45 points allowed (PA35) -4 46+ points allowed (PA46) -7

Above is a copy/pasted list of scoring settings just so you have all the info.

Here is my current roster.
    QB - Michael Vick
    QB - Josh Freeman
    QB - Matt Schaub
    RB - Marshawn Lynch
    RB - Steven Jackson
    RB - Andre Brown
    RB - Rashard Mendenhall
    RB - Mikel Leshoure
    WR - Demaryius Thomas
    WR - Torrey Smith
    WR - Jeremy Maclin
    WR - Miles Austin
    TE - Jimmy Graham
    TE - Dennis Pitta
    K - Stephen Gostkowski
    D/ST - Houston

My selected keepers at THIS time are bolded but are not required to be locked until 24 hours prior to our draft.

One thing that is important to note is, and the reason I'm not posting this in trade is because it's kind of a dual post. BUT I have our leagues commish who is very very interested in acquiring Graham, I have obvious holes at WR and QB for a 10 team league and would like to address this issue however Graham is just such a nice keeper in any format.

The offer that is currently being worked for me is a 3-way trade, the commish who wants Graham is going to be trading me Russell Wilson, while trading a so far un-named player to another team to acquire one of either Vincent Jackson, Randall Cobb, Victor Cruz, or Harvin (depending on his surgery situation). So I would lose Graham but gain Wilson and what I hope to be a top 10 WR while being able to keep Dennis Pitta to fill the TE void. My keepers would be a lot different if I manage to pull off a trade and I would be dropping Vick and Maclin and have Pitta selected on top of the two players I acquire.

Any thoughts? Sorry for the long thread but it's just so bloody tough for me to think of losing Graham however is the return enough for a 10 team league? I want to obviously contend year in year out. I have my first round pick this year (5th overall) as well.

In advance, thank you for all the help and rep will be given.
    10 team Cumulative Points Only - Keep 4
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PPP (1), PIM (0.25/min), S (0.4), H (0.2), Bs (0.2), FoW (0.1), W (4), Sv (0.2), SO (4), GA (-1)
    update inc.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Chill View Post
    Hey all fellow dobbers, since Dobberhockey has been so kind to me I figured I'd try my luck at the football forums..

Situation I'm in, 10 team league, standard scoring non PPR. I inherited a team two seasons ago with very weak keepers and have only moved up in the standings the last two seasons (7th in 2011/12, 5th in 2012/13).

I'll cut right to the chase, I've been doing a LOT of research already in preparation of pres-season games and obviously pre-draft.

Here's our leagues settings, 10 team 8 player keeper league, non-ppr, field a squad of 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1 D/ST, 1K. 8 bench spots.

Passing

Passing Yards (PY) 0.04 TD Pass (PTD) 4
    Interceptions Thrown (INT) -2 2pt Passing Conversion (2PC) 2

Rushing

Rushing Yards (RY) 0.1 TD Rush (RTD) 6
    2pt Rushing Conversion (2PR) 2

Receiving

Receiving Yards (REY) 0.1 TD Reception (RETD) 6
    2pt Receiving Conversion (2PRE) 2

Miscellaneous

Total Fumbles Lost (FUML) -2

Kicking

Each PAT Made (PAT) 1 FG Made (0-39 yards) (FG0) 3
    FG Made (40-49 yards) (FG40) 4 FG Made (50+ yards) (FG50) 5

Team Defense / Special Teams

Each Sack (SK) 1 Interception Return TD (INTTD) 6
    Fumble Return TD (FRTD) 6 Kickoff Return TD (KRTD) 6
    Punt Return TD (PRTD) 6 Blocked Punt or FG return for TD (BLKKRTD) 6
    Blocked Punt, PAT or FG (BLKK) 2 Each Interception (INT) 2
    Each Fumble Recovered (FR) 2 Each Safety (SF) 2
    0 points allowed (PA0) 10 1-6 points allowed (PA1) 7
    7-13 points allowed (PA7) 4 14-17 points allowed (PA14) 1
    18-21 points allowed (PA18) 1 28-34 points allowed (PA28) -1
    35-45 points allowed (PA35) -4 46+ points allowed (PA46) -7

Above is a copy/pasted list of scoring settings just so you have all the info.

Here is my current roster.
    QB - Michael Vick
    QB - Josh Freeman
    QB - Matt Schaub
    RB - Marshawn Lynch
    RB - Steven Jackson
    RB - Andre Brown
    RB - Rashard Mendenhall
    RB - Mikel Leshoure
    WR - Demaryius Thomas
    WR - Torrey Smith
    WR - Jeremy Maclin
    WR - Miles Austin
    TE - Jimmy Graham
    TE - Dennis Pitta
    K - Stephen Gostkowski
    D/ST - Houston

My selected keepers at THIS time are bolded but are not required to be locked until 24 hours prior to our draft.

One thing that is important to note is, and the reason I'm not posting this in trade is because it's kind of a dual post. BUT I have our leagues commish who is very very interested in acquiring Graham, I have obvious holes at WR and QB for a 10 team league and would like to address this issue however Graham is just such a nice keeper in any format.

The offer that is currently being worked for me is a 3-way trade, the commish who wants Graham is going to be trading me Russell Wilson, while trading a so far un-named player to another team to acquire one of either Vincent Jackson, Randall Cobb, Victor Cruz, or Harvin (depending on his surgery situation). So I would lose Graham but gain Wilson and what I hope to be a top 10 WR while being able to keep Dennis Pitta to fill the TE void. My keepers would be a lot different if I manage to pull off a trade and I would be dropping Vick and Maclin and have Pitta selected on top of the two players I acquire.

Any thoughts? Sorry for the long thread but it's just so bloody tough for me to think of losing Graham however is the return enough for a 10 team league? I want to obviously contend year in year out. I have my first round pick this year (5th overall) as well.

In advance, thank you for all the help and rep will be given.
    This is a tough one. Jimmy Graham is by far and away the best TE for this upcoming season. In a ppr, you more often than not will win the TE position on a weekly basis. In a non ppr, I think a high volume TE like Graham loses some of his value. Wilson would be a nice grab for you in a keeper league. Add Pitta and any one of those wr's and you have significantly improved your situation.

If you do not trade Graham, your wr's aren't bad at all. You get to keep the top TE going intot he year and I would keep Freeman over Vick.

Dobber Sports Padawan

It would be nice to have an upgrade at your QB spot but I agree with Whale on this one in holding on to Graham. In a 10-team league it is crucial to have elite players and Graham is the clear-cut top TE in the league.
    Hold on to him and hopefully there will be another way to secure an upgrade on your QB position in the near future.
    13 team Roto keeper league 12 F, 6D, 2G, G,A,+/-, PIMS, Hits, TOI(D), GAA, SV%, (Forwards are forwards, no distinction between L,R,C)

F) Ovechkin, Stamkos, Kunitz, Parise, Byfuglien, Backstrom, Little, Gaudreau, Hudler, Brassard, Girgensons, Nelson
    D) S. Weber, Phaneuf, Subban, Carlson, Josi, Vatanen
    G) Rask, Jones

Dobber Sports Prodigy

well, things have changed slightly. I'm now shopping Steven Jackson for other teams that were hurt by the loss of Turner or holding on to weak RB1's. I am pretty confident I could land Matt Ryan + for Steven Jackson +. It's just a matter of the plus.
    Right now what I've got is Steven Jackson and Andre Brown (he's got David Wilson so he wouldn't have to draft his hand-cuff) for his Matt Ryan and DMC (Wilson and SJaxx would be his RB1/2, Lynch and DMC/Mendy would be mine). He's got Tom Brady as well so that's why he's entertaining the thought of losing one of his top QB's.

Thoughts?
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PPP (1), PIM (0.25/min), S (0.4), H (0.2), Bs (0.2), FoW (0.1), W (4), Sv (0.2), SO (4), GA (-1)
    update inc.

Dobber Sports Padawan

well, things have changed slightly. I'm now shopping Steven Jackson for other teams that were hurt by the loss of Turner or holding on to weak RB1's. I am pretty confident I could land Matt Ryan + for Steven Jackson +. It's just a matter of the plus.
    Right now what I've got is Steven Jackson and Andre Brown (he's got David Wilson so he wouldn't have to draft his hand-cuff) for his Matt Ryan and DMC (Wilson and SJaxx would be his RB1/2, Lynch and DMC/Mendy would be mine). He's got Tom Brady as well so that's why he's entertaining the thought of losing one of his top QB's.

Thoughts?

Now with Pitta gone, it's a good thing you didn't trade Graham. I think trading SJax makes you Rb situation more risky. DMC is the type of guy that could be the best Rb in fantasy but he's as close to a lock to get hurt as anybody. If you really like ryan, go for it. But SJax may have enough juice left to lead the league in TDs this year.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

while I agree that SJaxx could very well have a close to career year in Atl, I'm kind of just thinking about the whole 'Sell High' idea because I do have the noticeable holes in my roster and selling high on SJaxx might be all I can do before having to deal someone like Lynch, Graham, or D. Thomas. More or less looking to finish in the middle of the pack this year because as far as I see I'm still in a rebuild.

Who knows, I might be able to get top return for my SJaxx and honestly it will suck to lose him as I've had him for years now, but he won't have that many seasons left with healthy return in trades other than this one.
    update inc.

Dobber Sports Padawan

while I agree that SJaxx could very well have a close to career year in Atl, I'm kind of just thinking about the whole 'Sell High' idea because I do have the noticeable holes in my roster and selling high on SJaxx might be all I can do before having to deal someone like Lynch, Graham, or D. Thomas. More or less looking to finish in the middle of the pack this year because as far as I see I'm still in a rebuild.

Who knows, I might be able to get top return for my SJaxx and honestly it will suck to lose him as I've had him for years now, but he won't have that many seasons left with healthy return in trades other than this one.

I would say, based on your keepers, your team is probably better than mid pack. Top 10 wr, 2 top 12 rb's, the best TE....if you have intentions on positioning yourself better for next year or the year after, definitely max out the value of SJax now. But will Matt Ryan ever be a top 5 qb? I don't see that particular player as cashing in on the value of SJax now....unless you're a falcons fan