Thread: John Gibson or Jake Allen

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default John Gibson or Jake Allen

wondering who I should draft? John Gibson or Jake Allen
    G & A = 1 PT GOALIE 2 PT FOR W, -1 FOR L, 3 FOR S.O.

FORWARDS-Ovechkin Eberle Kopitar Kesler Camalari Pavelski Carter Zetterberg Brown Ribero Bourque Pomminville Wheeler J.Jokinen Backes Weiss Steppan Hudler

DEFENCE- Carle Karlsson Webber Garrison Leddy Klikov Phanuef Hamhuis

GOALTENDER- Lundqist Bishop Crawford

PROSPECTS Hamilton Nyquist Tarasenko Mackinnon Bjugstad Gibson Lack R.Murray D.Jackson

Dobber Sports Sage

Gibson is much farther away but has elite upside. Dobber says'16-17' at the earliest. Plus, Hiller, Fasth, and Andersen are in front of him so there is no rush from Anaheim.

Allen would be the backup this year if Halak is traded. Even if Allen starts the year in the AHL there is a good chance he plays considering Halak's injury history. Allen should be the full-time backup in 2014-2015. Allen's ceiling is not considered to be nearly as high as Gibson.

So if you need immediate help, go with Allen. If you can stash Gibson and wait for a couple years, go with Gibson. Hope it helps.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Colwood View Post
    wondering who I should draft? John Gibson or Jake Allen
    I don't know how many teams are in your leauge, so it's tough to tell from your sig if you are in contention this year. But yeah, Gibson is a long ways away...and Bryz and Brodeur will only give you so much help.

If you are a top-3 contender, I'd say go for Jake. If you're not, Gibson seems to be a long way off to help you. Are you sure there aren't better options?

Dobber Sports Novice

I wish you took Allen

Dobber Sports Giant

Jake Allen, pretty safe bet to at least be an NHL backup within the next couple years -- outside shot at actually landing a starting job in that window.

John Gibson, potential to be an elite NHL starter around the 2016-17 season. If you can stash him he should be well worth the wait. David Poile, in an interview with Scott Loughlin and Boomer Gordon today, said that John Gibson will without a doubt be a very good NHL starter in the next few years. Very impressive at both the WJC and World Championships this past year for Team USA -- invite to Oly Orientation Camp.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Pro

Allen for now and the next couple years. Eventually, Gibson projects as an elite level starter....but it'll be a few years at least.

The Wolverine

Disclaimer: I don't play in keeper leagues and don't know prospects that well.

That being said, choosing someone that has 'potential' to be a solid goalie in 3-4 years is not worth it IMO. Who says he will - and then you will be sitting on a guy based on hope alone. There will be other goalies to choose from then - they always pop up. Whereas you have Allen, who has an opportunity to be much more fantasy relevant much sooner. Heck, who says you'll still be playing in that league in 3-4 years. It's a long way to wait for potential, especially goaltenders, many of whom take awhile to become fantasy relevant.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Disclaimer: I don't play in keeper leagues and don't know prospects that well.

That being said, choosing someone that has 'potential' to be a solid goalie in 3-4 years is not worth it IMO. Who says he will - and then you will be sitting on a guy based on hope alone. There will be other goalies to choose from then - they always pop up. Whereas you have Allen, who has an opportunity to be much more fantasy relevant much sooner. Heck, who says you'll still be playing in that league in 3-4 years. It's a long way to wait for potential, especially goaltenders, many of whom take awhile to become fantasy relevant.
    I agree. I was just conducting my entry draft this past week and Gibson was on my radar. It came down to Zucker or Gibson and I ultimately chose Zucker for these same reasons. It will take Gibson years to reach the NHL and who knows what will happen in the meantime. Hot goalie prospects are always coming around and it is such an unstable position overall that I did not want to plan on keeping a player on my farm team for 4 years till he was ready. Now I did think (incorrectly) that Gibson would be there 10 picks later where I would have taken him. At that point in the draft I felt his upside was worth the roster spot. But I took Svedberg who is much closer than Gibson and feel good about it overall.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Pro

Give me Gibson all day.
    Straight Points keeper league. Keep 5 Forwards,3 defence,1 goalie.

F: Nicklas Backstrom, Joe Thornton, Henrik Zetterberg, Zach Parise, Logan Couture

D: Erik Karlsson, Alex Pietrangelo, Oliver Ekman-Larsson

G: Sergei Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Pro

Give me Allen all day. Just signed a 2 year contract. Will get NHL games this year since Elliott and Halak are both UFA's and one should be out the door by season's end. Also his contract is one-way for the 2014-15 season. Proved last year he can play in the NHL and if Hitchcock's defensive system is in front of him for the next few years, his value is even greater. I never wait for goalie prospects or buy into the hype....way too much risk and time involved. I try to get the big name ones then trade them for anyone who is producing now...

Justin Pogge
    Andrew Raycroft
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by robmyatt View Post
    Give me Allen all day. Just signed a 2 year contract. Will get NHL games this year since Elliott and Halak are both UFA's and one should be out the door by season's end. Also his contract is one-way for the 2014-15 season. Proved last year he can play in the NHL and if Hitchcock's defensive system is in front of him for the next few years, his value is even greater. I never wait for goalie prospects or buy into the hype....way too much risk and time involved. I try to get the big name ones then trade them for anyone who is producing now...

Justin Pogge
    Andrew Raycroft
    Pogge and Raycroft are good example of hyped goalies busting, but there are also plenty of examples of hyped goalies living up to expectation....Price, Rask, Lehtonen to name a few.

If you have room to spare on your farm, and a fair amount of patience, it makes sense to select Gibson and stash him. Elite-level goalie prospects are not easy to find. I believe it was Angus who wrote that he hasn't seen a goalie prospect like Gibson since Carey Price.

I get that goalie prospects are a much bigger crapshoot than skater prospects - but to me that's even more of a reason to stash as many Gs as possible on the farm.
    10 team roto, Keep 17 + 50 farmers (Farm GP limits 246 F, 328 D and 200 G). Dress 9F 5D 1Ut 2G (G, A, D-pts, +/-, PPP, PIM, SOG, Hits, Blks, W, SV%, GAA)

F- Tavares Bergeron Simmonds Kucherov Radulov Skinner JVR Brown R. Smith Perron Kesler
    D- Doughty Josi Giordano Suter Muzzin Boroweicki
    G- Dubnyk Murray Smith
    Farm highlights: Abramov, Chlapik, Cirelli, Kunin, Mantha, McCarron, Perlini, Johnsson, Zykov, Ritchie, Honka, Kylington, Sorokin, C. Point, Dansk

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'd go with Allen

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

No question here. Gibson is the top prospect goaltender in the world IMO (assuming Lehner and Markstrom aren't in that prospect cat anymore)

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'd go with Gibson. He is worth the wait I think.
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2