Thread: Paul Maurice Fired??

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Paul Maurice Fired??

TSN is reporting....not sure if this is a good thing in TO....but then again, who really cares?? Gives the sports panels something to talk about for the next 2 days.....that is just great....how sick of Leaf talk can you get, guess we will find out!!

Anyway, I don\'t understand why they would not hire a GM and let him decide if he wants Maurice or not. Why would Cliff make that decision before the fact.

Guess the farthest thing from people\'s during playoff time is the Leafs, so they need to steal some thunder...
    Pat LaFontaine #16

Dobber Sports Stud

Could it be that Toronto has found their General Manager? General Managers generally bring their own coaches. Maybe Toronto has found their guy. What does this do now for the Brunnstrom sweepstake? Maybe they have agreed to bring in Brunnstrom\'s coach as well. lol

I sympathize with Maurice. He didn\'t have much to work with. He could only make the best of a bad situation, when you have \'deadwood\' that are locked into long term/no trade clauses, you are \'hooped\'.

imho.

Dobber Sports Master

Fletcher has not been able to do anything so far so I guess he would fire his coach to make it look like he\'s busy.
    30 GM Commish Dynasty
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Utl, 1G
    C:Savard,Filpulla,Arnott,Ott,Boyd,Weight,Rupp
    LW:Heatley,Morrow,Sullivan,Tambellini,Bissonnette, Pierro-Zabotel
    RW: Hemsky,Backes,Orr,Tikhonov,Artyukhin,Ortmeyer
    D:EJ,Ehrhoff,Hjalmarsson,Babchuk,Commodore
    G: M.A.Fleury,Deslauriers,Koskinen,Monnino

Dobber Sports Ace

Would have liked the new GM coming in to make this decision but Cliff\'s gotta look like he has done something substantial I guess.
    20 team h2h (multi-cat) dynasty league, 1st season
    C: Getzlaf, MacKinnon, Eakin, Backlund, Schroeder, Bjugstad, Miller, Gaustad
    LW: M Foligno, Wilson, Tatar, Bailey, Palat
    RW: Ovechkin, Voracek, Frattin, Coyle, Clutterbuck
    D: Barrie, Del Zotto, Brodin, Vatanen, Gudas, Donovan, Murphy, Hamonic, Grossmann, Michalek
    G: Pavelec, Schneider, Enroth

Dobber Sports Pro

I\'m with hockeylifer here. Fletscher has a contract for another year, which gave the Leafs a safety net in case they couldn\'t find their permanent GM this summer and chose to wait for better people (to finish their current contracts next summer. In such a scenario it would make most sense to keep Maurice for his remaining year. This firing indicates to me that they feel they will have someone permanent in place this summer and don\'t need the Fletscher safety net.

It also suggests to me that the announcement of the person may be soon - if they were still fishing around and just feeling out the turf, they would not want to re-draw attention to themselves.

The latter point also suggests their guy is not involved with any of the 4 remaining clubs, or they would keep quiet about it - in other words, no Ken Holland or Jim Neal (as if ... ). This shouldn\'t mean, however, they are going for someone on one of the 4 teams that just got eliminated (Wilson ...); it may be someone on a team that was eliminated earlier with slightly prolonged negotiations.

I still think that if they are smart they go for Poile, who\'s contract does run out this year and who I haven;t heard of an extension yet.
    Rebulding in two lifetime keepers, squads to follow ...

Dobber Sports Master

Watching sportsnet talk about the firing. There is a press conference later today as the leafs have news. Normally there is not a press conference after a coach being fired.

What could the news conference be about?
    30 GM Commish Dynasty
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Utl, 1G
    C:Savard,Filpulla,Arnott,Ott,Boyd,Weight,Rupp
    LW:Heatley,Morrow,Sullivan,Tambellini,Bissonnette, Pierro-Zabotel
    RW: Hemsky,Backes,Orr,Tikhonov,Artyukhin,Ortmeyer
    D:EJ,Ehrhoff,Hjalmarsson,Babchuk,Commodore
    G: M.A.Fleury,Deslauriers,Koskinen,Monnino

Dobber Sports Sage

They are going to hire Basil McRae as the new head coach
    @tlucarelli on twitter

Dobber Sports Ace

He\'s probably glad to be out of there to be honest and paid to do so i guess:silly:
    12 Team H2H keeper league
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, Hits, GWG & SOG. W, GAA, SV% & SHO
    Daily changes, Start: 3C 3LW 3RW 6D 1F 2W 2G - 10 Bench

Dobber Sports Ninja

duballstar014 wrote:
    They are going to hire Basil McRae as the new head coach
    Close, Tie Domi:laugh: It will be wonderful, just like Pinball Clemons with the Argos.:S
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Stud

Hmm? Brunnstrom was coming to the Canucks? Well up until Nonis got fired. Ah, that is why he is going to TO?