Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chara still a stud?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Chara still a stud?

He didnt have the greatest year and got shut down in the last round of the playoffs. Do you think he is still a +30, 45 pt player that will gets lots of SOG, PIM's and Hits? I'm not sure if I should keep him.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Keep him you must.
    10 team roto, Keep 17 + 50 farmers (Farm GP limits 246 F, 328 D and 200 G). Dress 9F 5D 1Ut 2G (G, A, D-pts, +/-, PPP, PIM, SOG, Hits, Blks, W, SV%, GAA)

F- Tavares Bergeron Simmonds Kucherov Radulov Skinner JVR Brown R. Smith Perron Kesler
    D- Doughty Josi Giordano Suter Muzzin Boroweicki
    G- Dubnyk Murray Smith
    Farm highlights: Abramov, Chlapik, Cirelli, Kunin, Mantha, McCarron, Perlini, Johnsson, Zykov, Ritchie, Honka, Kylington, Sorokin, C. Point, Dansk

Administrator

In multi-cat he's still dominant.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Genius

He will continue to provide the same value he has already shown for at least four more years.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by 3avcos View Post
    He didnt have the greatest year and got shut down in the last round of the playoffs. Do you think he is still a +30, 45 pt player that will gets lots of SOG, PIM's and Hits? I'm not sure if I should keep him.
    What are you options instead of Chara?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    In multi-cat he's still dominant.
    Agreed
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    What are you options instead of Chara?
    Also agreed.

I will say this though, I think fatigue is starting to catch up to the guy. How can it not, the team keeps going deep in the playoffs and this guy plays a bazillion minutes every year.

Banned

I think he had a bit of an off year but it's nothing I would worry about. He was paired with Hamilton, McQuaid and Boychuk quite a bit this year so I think his role may have been less offensively driven and more acting as the veteran 'shepherd' with the less experienced guys to show them the ropes. So it makes sense that he'd have fewer pts and his +/- might be done a bit. Also, Chara used to routinely lead the team in PP time, but the last 2 seasons his PP TOI has fallen from over 3mins/gm to under 2:30 so fewer PPP as well.

If you look at his numbers over his career though the guy is the model of consistency...40-50 pts, about 100 PIM, 20+ in +/-, 150 hits etc, I see no reason he won't continue in this trend, the only thing that might not be as strong as it once was is PPP.

Dobber Sports Legend

Chara is a physical specimen who will continue to be a rock until he's 40 if he wants. He reminds me of Rob Blake who was still productive until he was 38-39-40. You still have at least 3 more solid years from Chara.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Stud

He's usually the big shutdown defencemen. So his role seems to change. Also the comments about deep playoff runs is a good point.

However, I still think he's going to be an important guy in multi-cat leagues.
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Even with Chara's off-year. He's still fantastic.

I've been able to translate Yahoo!s rank system into a scoring system for the base 6 categories (G/A/+-/PIM/PPP/SOG).

2012-2013 Season
    159.01pts Subban, PK
    115.17pts Yandle, Keith
    113.82pts Letang, Kris
    106.45pts Phaneuf, Dion
    105.83pts Weber, Shea
    103.84pts Chara, Zdeno
    103.20pts Byfuglien, Dustin

102.12pts Keith, Duncan
    101.73pts Timonen, Kimmo
    100.08pts Suter, Ryan

My personal ELITE TIER multi-cat includes the guys in Green + Karlsson.
    I think Chara has a lot of gas left.

I remember threads from TWO years ago starting to write Chara off.
    Eventually it will happen, but I don't see it yet.

Dobber Sports Sage

He didnt have the greatest year and got shut down in the last round of the playoffs.
    All the speculation I heard was that Chara was hurt in the Finals (groin?). That would explain why the Hawks didn't shy away from him and ended up scoring often with him on the ice.

So I wouldn't let your lasting images of Chara from this season be the determining factor for Chara.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

The Great One

In multi cat leagues Chara is a top player.

In points only leagues, Chara is descending.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    In multi cat leagues Chara is a top player.

In points only leagues, Chara is descending.
    Agree

but he is still a lock for 40 pts minimum with Iginla, Bergeron, Krejci, Eriksson, Marchand, Hamilton...

He is never hurt.
    6 teams dynasty pool,points only,no pos. for F, Keep All, 12F, 6D, 2G count.....backup=6F, 4D, 2G, 4 roster moves( 2 at 30th game and 2 at NHL deadline)
    F- , P. Kane,Eichel, DeBrincat, Kopitar, Wheeler, Kuznetsov, Point, Huberdeau, Verhaghe, Bergeron,Keller, Batherson, Schmaltz, W.Nylander, Buchnevich,Rantanen
    D- Makar, Gostisbehere, Carlson, Burns, Barrie, M. Rielly, Hronek, DeAngelo, KA Miller
    G- Vasilevskyi, Sorokin, Campbell, Markstrom
    Farm: Lundell, Guenther, Holtz, Glass, E. Svechnikov, Denisenko, Newhook, Heponiemi, Lauko,Neighbours, Bokk N. Foote, Borgstrom, Dahlen, Bokk, S. Poulin, Zelleweger, Liljegren, Heinola, Perunovich, S. Knight.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by sharpp87 View Post
    Agree

but he is still a lock for 40 pts minimum with Iginla, Bergeron, Krejci, Eriksson, Marchand, Hamilton...

He is never hurt.
    This year he was on pace for 32 points in 82 games. Chances are his production would have corrected itself over a longer schedule but I can't consider him a lock for 40. Probable, but not a lock.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    This year he was on pace for 32 points in 82 games. Chances are his production would have corrected itself over a longer schedule but I can't consider him a lock for 40. Probable, but not a lock.
    Nobody is a lock at anything....

Chara has 9 straight seasons of over 39 pts and with one of the best team in the NHL I dont see how he wont get 40 pts again...

I dont see he would not have reach 40 pts again this past season... he had 15 pts in 22 playoffs games. This guy is just a machine physically and will continu to produce a few years

We'll see but i'll be really really surprise to see him under 35 pts without missing any games.
    Last edited by sharpp87; July 18, 2013 at 1:41 PM.
    6 teams dynasty pool,points only,no pos. for F, Keep All, 12F, 6D, 2G count.....backup=6F, 4D, 2G, 4 roster moves( 2 at 30th game and 2 at NHL deadline)
    F- , P. Kane,Eichel, DeBrincat, Kopitar, Wheeler, Kuznetsov, Point, Huberdeau, Verhaghe, Bergeron,Keller, Batherson, Schmaltz, W.Nylander, Buchnevich,Rantanen
    D- Makar, Gostisbehere, Carlson, Burns, Barrie, M. Rielly, Hronek, DeAngelo, KA Miller
    G- Vasilevskyi, Sorokin, Campbell, Markstrom
    Farm: Lundell, Guenther, Holtz, Glass, E. Svechnikov, Denisenko, Newhook, Heponiemi, Lauko,Neighbours, Bokk N. Foote, Borgstrom, Dahlen, Bokk, S. Poulin, Zelleweger, Liljegren, Heinola, Perunovich, S. Knight.