Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 2013 NHL Draft Discussion [Youngblood]

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Trouba's Offensive Rise?

12 team, 26 keepers, 3 round prospect draft under (100 gp). Last year's draft saw Trouba go unpicked since there were still a number of prospects not in the 2012 class worth grabbing and because Trouba was identified primarily for his defensive prowess.

I pick 4th and 16th. I saw you said Barkov is still your pick even in Nashville. So here's a 2 part question.

1.) Has Trouba really transformed his game to show a much greater offensive upside?

2.)Where would you place him among the 2013 draft class? Is he worth either of my picks? (sneaky part 3 of my question)

Thanks so much for all your insight and time. The prospect guide is excellent as always. Anyone who hasn't bought it should definitely reconsider - such a good deal.
    Yahoo H2H League: 12 Team, Full Keeper, 26 players plus farm team (3 round prospect draft, players<100gp)
    G,A,P,+/,PIM,PPG,PPA,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,W,Sv,Sv%,GA,GA%,SH O

Centers: Crosby, Duchene, Ribeiro, Weiss, Backlund, Shore
    RW: Eberle, Voracek, Horton, Grabner, Atkinson
    LW: Parise, Ovechkin, Moulson, Ennis, Tlusty, Boedker,
    D: Shattenkirk, Carlson, Del Zotto, Barrie, Faulk
    G: Pavelec, Varlamov, Lindback, Enroth

Farm: Lehner, Stalock, Salak, Yakupov, Rattie, Gudbranson, Josefson, Josi, Bjugstad

Dobber Sports Recruit

First off, thanks for the answer to my previous question, I really appreciate it!

But now I have a second question... I've seen the name "Justin Dowling" a few times over here and he's available at my league's next draft (all the 2013 NHL draftees and any undrafted UFA who has signed with an NHL team and doesn't already belong to another team in my league are up for grabs). So I'm wondering, considering this year's draft, which round do you think I should draft Dowling in (if at all) if he's still available? In other words, where would he fit in the next NHL draft if he had re-entered it?

Thanks in advance!

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Objection! View Post
    First off, thanks for the answer to my previous question, I really appreciate it!

But now I have a second question... I've seen the name "Justin Dowling" a few times over here and he's available at my league's next draft (all the 2013 NHL draftees and any undrafted UFA who has signed with an NHL team and doesn't already belong to another team in my league are up for grabs). So I'm wondering, considering this year's draft, which round do you think I should draft Dowling in (if at all) if he's still available? In other words, where would he fit in the next NHL draft if he had re-entered it?

Thanks in advance!
    Sorry, this is actually a second account I started because I ran into some difficulties when I tried to download the prospects report with my usual account... The question still stands, just wanted to avoid any confusion from the "previous question" part.
    On a fantasy hockey break.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I've been offered D - Hampus Lindholm for my 17th overall pick in this year's draft. I like Lindholm and could use the D depth on my prospect team but I wonder if the value is there. So I have a few questions:

1. What does Lindholm project as a NHLer (maybe a NHL comparable)?

2. Who could/should I target with the 17th overall pick (top 2x F and D)?

3. Would you do this deal (multi-cat pts system - basically all cats you can think of)?
    10-team Auction League, $160 team salary, weekly H2H, start: 6F, 4D, 1G and 5 Bench

Scoring structure: (F : 1pt G / 1pt A / 0.15pts SOG / 0.15pts Hits / 0.15pts BlkS), (G : 5 pts W / 3 pts SO / 0.01 pts Saves)

Forwards : Ovechkin ($43), Kessel ($20), Benn ($7), Spezza ($13), Brown ($7), Marchand ($13), Landeskog ($3), Elias ($1), Plekanec ($1),

Defenses : Letang ($26), Visnovsky ($1), Bieksa ($1), Faulk ($2) Ehrhoff ($2)

Goalies : Holtby ($7), Nabokov ($2)

Dobber Sports Initiate

Who do you take at 4 if MacK, Drouin, and Barkov are taken with the first 3. League in sig.
    UFHP - Y! 12 GMs - 23/8 pro/farm - keep 17 + all farm
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, FW; GS, W, L, GA, GAA, SA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Backstrom, Crosby, Little, Zetterberg, Rask
    LW: Foligno, Ehlers, Skinner, Hartnell, Jokinen, Ladd
    RW: Tarasenko, Kessel, Nash, Marner
    D: Keith, Karlsson, Klingberg, Werenski, Barrie, Manson
    G: Price, Murray, Andersen

Farm:
    C: Keller
    LW: Fiala, Heinen
    RW: Gurianov
    D: Sergachev, Beaulieu, Manning, Borowiecki
    G: Forsberg, Driedger

Dobber Sports Initiate

Thanks for the reply to my earlier question. It definitely helps to put things into perspective. I have one more question if you have a moment:

I am not a big fan of straight-up player comps (probably still hurting from Paul Maurice comparing Pohl to Ron Francis) but can you give us an idea of who Barkov's skating compares to among current or recent NHLers? Is there a guy currently playing a first line C role in the NHL who skates at a level similar to Barkov? I'm trying to figure out how much it's likely to hold him back. Are we talking Jason Allison speed?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by capretto2002 View Post
    12 team, 26 keepers, 3 round prospect draft under (100 gp). Last year's draft saw Trouba go unpicked since there were still a number of prospects not in the 2012 class worth grabbing and because Trouba was identified primarily for his defensive prowess.

I pick 4th and 16th. I saw you said Barkov is still your pick even in Nashville. So here's a 2 part question.

1.) Has Trouba really transformed his game to show a much greater offensive upside?

2.)Where would you place him among the 2013 draft class? Is he worth either of my picks? (sneaky part 3 of my question)

Thanks so much for all your insight and time. The prospect guide is excellent as always. Anyone who hasn't bought it should definitely reconsider - such a good deal.
    1) Trouba has developed VERY quickly and the attractive part of his game is that it's pro-ready and looks like he can step right in to be an impact player. He has always had good offensive skills, I like him as a Ryan Suter type of upside.

2) Trouba would likely slot in after Barkov (around 4/5th). I wouldn't take him with your 4th but if he's there with your 12th pick then I would grab him (assuming a player doesn't slide like Nichushkin, Monahan)

Thanks for the complement on the guide. Always appreciated and makes the work worth while.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Objection! View Post

Thanks in advance!
    I am not familiar with Dowling at all to be honest. His stats seem to be trending upwards but that's tough to project to the NHL. He's in a Flyers' organization that lacks a true puck moving defenseman (assuming that is his style) so there's a chance he cracks the lineup for a call up or two.

I would be leery and draft him very late if you wanted him. He is four years past his draft year, it wouldn't make sense to speculate whether he would be drafted if he re-entered the draft since he's sooo much further ahead in his development than this year's crop.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by kenzle1r View Post
    I've been offered D - Hampus Lindholm for my 17th overall pick in this year's draft. I like Lindholm and could use the D depth on my prospect team but I wonder if the value is there. So I have a few questions:

1. What does Lindholm project as a NHLer (maybe a NHL comparable)?

2. Who could/should I target with the 17th overall pick (top 2x F and D)?

3. Would you do this deal (multi-cat pts system - basically all cats you can think of)?

1.Puck moving two-way defenseman. He has similarities to OEL (hopefully he can meet that)
    2. This is almost impossible to project. I would look at the Prospects guide and my mock draft. Domi, Wennberg, Mantha, Burakovsky, Shinkaruk (maybe), Zykov, Erne, Gauthier are F possibilities. Morrissey, Pulock, Morin, Mueller, Hagg are D possibilities.

3. I would hold off doing the deal if possible to see who is available when that pick comes due. Someone might slide. However, if you need help on D then go ahead and do it as Lindholm will be a good D to own in a few years. Good skater, smart and has some offensive ability.

I would be tempted by the Manthas, Wennbergs, Domis and Pulock/Morrissey on D.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by TheRook View Post
    Who do you take at 4 if MacK, Drouin, and Barkov are taken with the first 3. League in sig.
    You have a strong defense core so I would lean towards Nichushkin at 4th.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Ed. View Post
    Thanks for the reply to my earlier question. It definitely helps to put things into perspective. I have one more question if you have a moment:

I am not a big fan of straight-up player comps (probably still hurting from Paul Maurice comparing Pohl to Ron Francis) but can you give us an idea of who Barkov's skating compares to among current or recent NHLers? Is there a guy currently playing a first line C role in the NHL who skates at a level similar to Barkov? I'm trying to figure out how much it's likely to hold him back. Are we talking Jason Allison speed?
    Two players come to mind with similar critiques in their draft years - Corey Perry and John Tavares.

Perry was only considered the 35th (or something like that) best forward in the 2003 draft class and that was mainly because of his skating. He's made a living of dominating puck possession and Barkov owns that similar standout quality as well.

Tavares was heavily criticized for being a poor/slow/clunky skater (much like Barkov) coming into the 2009 draft and he's shown that hockey sense can overcome that weakness. Barkov also owns some excellent hockey sense so I am not too worried about him. He may take some adjusting to the NA game but he's too smart not to figure it out and quickly.

Definitely not as bad as Jason Allison haha.

He scores most of his goals in and around the blue paint. That won't change too much at the NHL level.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    I am not familiar with Dowling at all to be honest. His stats seem to be trending upwards but that's tough to project to the NHL. He's in a Flyers' organization that lacks a true puck moving defenseman (assuming that is his style) so there's a chance he cracks the lineup for a call up or two.

I would be leery and draft him very late if you wanted him. He is four years past his draft year, it wouldn't make sense to speculate whether he would be drafted if he re-entered the draft since he's sooo much further ahead in his development than this year's crop.
    Actually, I was refering to Justin Dowling, the forward from the Texas Stars, of whom I heard in Dobber's ramblings back in april... (April 25th to be precise)
    On a fantasy hockey break.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Thanks! That definitely makes some sense of the situation.

Dobber Sports Deity

I am curious to hear your thoughts on Joe Sakic's announcement regarding their draft selection and their choice to "pass" on Seth Jones and select one of the forwards (MacKinnon, Drouin or Barkov). Do you buy it or do you think its some sort of ploy?

If Sakic is in fact being honest, and they pass on Jones with the #1 pick, where do you see Jones going in the draft and who do you think Sakic will end up taking?

Thanks again.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Ed. View Post
    Thanks! That definitely makes some sense of the situation.
    Sorry. Dallas prospect..right....same situation applies...the organization has room on D for him so he could slip in for some games. Remains a long shot pick in fantasy drafts. If you have room, worth a gamble.