Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Canada's Goalie at the Olympics?

Dobber Sports Wizard

RE: Brodeur

Have to agree with what's been said. He's been there, he's won gold, and is a good choice as well.

If all of the contenders are playing on par, gotta give the 3rd spot to Marty.

Cheers.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Gonna have to strongly disagree with you guys on that one. I respect the hell out of Brodeur like anyone else, but that would be a ridiculous waste of a goalie slot. This is the Olympics... not the legends charity tournament.

In addition to sending it's 2 best, Canada should (and probably will) send a younger guy who will likely be a starter in 2018. The experience gained from being there and practicing with the team is invaluable... no sense wasting that opportunity on old man Marty.
    I do understand what you are saying. Who is the future of Canadian Goaltending? I can't think of anybody that they would be grooming for the position, or a stand out who is really young. Can you? If there was a clear cut "future of Canadian Goaltending" candidate out there who could really benefit from the experience, I agree that it would be more valuable to send him. Unfortunately, I can't think of who that person might be. Because of that, you send Marty...

Rylant

Banned

I don't agree with giving Marty the nod solely for posterity's sake but for the first time in a long time I don't feel as if Team Canada has the edge in goaltending. Marty might get the slot simply for his experience

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    I do understand what you are saying. Who is the future of Canadian Goaltending? I can't think of anybody that they would be grooming for the position, or a stand out who is really young. Can you? If there was a clear cut "future of Canadian Goaltending" candidate out there who could really benefit from the experience, I agree that it would be more valuable to send him. Unfortunately, I can't think of who that person might be. Because of that, you send Marty...
    There doesn't have to be a clear cut "future of Canadian goaltending"... goaltenders don't peak until much later anyway. I would send guys like Holtby, Crawford or even Reimer as the third goalie way before I send Marty.

What's his "experience" going to bring from the bench? Is he gonna give them a pep talk and share war stories or something? Luongo will be there for sure, and he's already won the gold for Canada, so what's 41 year old Brodeur going to bring to the table? He would just be sucking up a valuable slot that a younger goalie could be immensely benefiting from.

Not only that but it would be an insult to his legacy to drag him onto the squad only to bench his ass the whole time. Given his competitiveness I highly doubt he would want to be in that position.

Dobber Sports Wizard

There doesn't have to be a clear cut "future of Canadian goaltending"... goaltenders don't peak until much later anyway. I would send guys like Holtby, Crawford or even Reimer as the third goalie way before I send Marty.

What's his "experience" going to bring from the bench? Is he gonna give them a pep talk and share war stories or something? Luongo will be there for sure, and he's already won the gold for Canada, so what's 41 year old Brodeur going to bring to the table? He would just be sucking up a valuable slot that a younger goalie could be immensely benefiting from.

Not only that but it would be an insult to his legacy to drag him onto the squad only to bench his ass the whole time. Given his competitiveness I highly doubt he would want to be in that position.
    Gotta disagree with you here in a few places.

It's an honour to make the Olympic team. As the third goalie or starter, I think Brodeur (at this stage in his career) would have no issue with this. A great way to end an international career, regardless if he plays or not. No question he's competitive, so much so, that he could easily out-play Price or Luongo. Definitely the guy we want as insurance at the biggest tournament. He's only a year off of a SCF appearance, which he was a big part of on a team that no one gave a chance coming out of the East last year.

This wouldn't be a charity selection. The country wants its three best goalies there. If there are injuries to the other two goalies, we want the goalie who gives the team the best chance. This isn't a situation where you pick a 3rd goalie for "shadowing/development". Look how that worked out for Fleury, he's not even in the conversation anymore for a roster spot.

Brodeur/Crawford/Holtby/Ward are the frontrunners for the 3rd spot. Reimer/Dubnyk/Fleury, just can't see it being any of those three. If there is a "future", would have to give the nod to Holtby at this point.

Cheers.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by ShawneePanthers View Post
    If Steve Mason plays well enough he might get consideration. He was the 4th goalie in 2010 (so he never actually saw game time).
    Dude, put the crack pipe down. I think Ed Belfour gets the call before Steve Mason does.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Ace

I think you guys are missing the fact that Price is 25. Seriously.
    He will be the 2018 and 2022 starters in all likelihood.
    Data Science Intern, Pebble
    COO, Quidditch Post
    Associate Editor, Dobber Sports Network
    Hockey Operations Intern, UBC Thunderbirds

Top 100 Roto
    Dobber Prospects

Ask me your fantasy questions on Twitter: @austeane
    My main league:

H2H Each Cat - Yahoo - 14 teams - Real Cap Hit - 85m cap
    Start: 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2U 2G 7B daily (21)
    Cats: G A +- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP GWG FW HIT W
    GAA SV SV% SO
    Edler's Mind Tricks:
    C:, Lehtera, Plekanec, Kuznetsov, Komarov
    LW: Benn, Kreider, Roussel
    RW: Malkin, Yakupov, Nyquist
    D: Subban, Letang, Karlsson, Jones, Dillon, Deslauriers
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Elliott
    JV: Sekac, Petan, Poirier, Vrana, Fleury, Sanheim, Galiev, 5th, 9th, 15th, 18th, 24th overall amateur picks

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by austeane View Post
    Good point.

I think there is consensus that Price is on the team. Will he start this time, tough to say, but he's a lock for sure.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by austeane View Post
    I don't think anybody here is forgetting his age. Like EVERY other goalie candidate out there as a possible Canadian goaltender, Price has struggled with inconsistency. Personally, I have NO idea how Dobber has him ranked 2nd as keeper goalies; AND he was first in April.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Stud

Corey Crawford isn't out of the question.
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Dobber Sports Sage

Ya but blaze in the severely off chance that two goalies do get injured for us in this tourny or one is struggling badly and 1 gets injured then who would you feel more comfortable going to in a 1 off big game Marty at 41 or Reimer. Me personally I would rather Marty 5 years from now after he has been retired for 3 and not been on skates for 2 for one game over Reimer or Dubynk or any of those other guys. In 2018 Price will be the starter. I don't see a point in wasting a spot on one of those kids! If they do bring a youngster it should be Bernier as he is the only one I think has even the potential of one day maybe being a starter for a gold medal winning team!
    With all due respect sir!
    Last edited by bigbabybuda; May 27, 2013 at 1:17 AM.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    I don't think anybody here is forgetting his age. Like EVERY other goalie candidate out there as a possible Canadian goaltender, Price has struggled with inconsistency. Personally, I have NO idea how Dobber has him ranked 2nd as keeper goalies; AND he was first in April.

Rylant
    Isn't the Keeper League list based on value in ... a keeper league.

Being a young goalie, combined with playing on the Habs (lots of Habs fans out there), combined with his actual real talent = massive value in a keeper league.

His peak ability is incredibly high and when you factor in his 'perceived' value, he deserves one of the top spots.

If you want to try and find out his real value in a keeper league just go and try and pry him from whoever owns him right now. Good chance he'll cost ypu more than almost any other player in the league, whether you feel that's justified or not.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

1. Price
    2. Luongo
    3. Crawford
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Giant

1. Price
    2. Luongo
    3. Brodeur

I think Brodeur makes the trip this year for a) his experience, b) his leadership and c) he can get the job done should Price or Luongo get injured.

However, I don't see how 2014's goalies will be too busy. The team will have some of the best offensive and/or 2-way forwards along with a star-studded mobile and physical D. I'm pretty sure any Canadian goalie would be more than ok between the pipes.

Having Ward, Fleury, Crawford and even Smith on the sidelines just goes to show how good Canada's goalie depth really is. I think Ward will get the call as the ''just in case'' net-minder.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    However, I don't see how 2014's goalies will be too busy. The team will have some of the best offensive and/or 2-way forwards along with a star-studded mobile and physical D. I'm pretty sure any Canadian goalie would be more than ok between the pipes.
    Overconfident much?

The world has caught up my friend... it's a wide open tourney.