Thread: Rule Clarification

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Rule Clarification

Just curious about the fourth goal that Philly scored tonight. It looked like Price caught the puck and the Philly player whacked Price\'s glove and the puck dropped out. My question is: If that is what happened, is it a penalty for slashing? I would have thought so. Or perhaps the puck wasn\'t quite in his glove so they didn\'t call anything. Just wanted to straighten things in my own mind.

Thanks guys.
    [SIZE=1]WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.5), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Saanichton Cougars

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Rule Clarification

The commentary on CBC later on discussed the incident.

The rule is that a stick can be used to swing at loose puck if it is below the player\'s shoulder (not the crossbar).

Price did not have the puck in his glove, both players were going for it. If anything Price\'s glove got there at the same time as the PHI player\'s stick.

Think about the play if it was a defenseman for MTL trying to hit the puck with his hand, the PHI player could still swing for the loose puck and hit the d-man in the glove with out incurring a penalty.

The ref must determine if the goalie had \"control\" of the puck before the stick hit his glove. If control was established, then a slashing penalty could be called.