Thread: Goalie Tandems in the Playoffs

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Goalie Tandems in the Playoffs

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on starting goalies in the playoffs. A few teams have great tandems and it could be questionable as to who the starter will be. Here's my take:

Pittsburgh - Fleury is the obvious starter but how long is his leash? Vokoun was signed specifically in case Fleury shat the bed in the playoffs again. One bad game, two? How many does Bylsma allow before turning the reins over to his veteran backup?

Chicago - Crawford is their guy, but Emery is supposed to be healthy and ready to go. Much like Pittsburgh, it's just a question of how long his leash will be. Emery has posted even better numbers than Crawford this season and could conceivably get a shot if CC struggles early.

Anaheim - Fasth got the bulk of the starts in April and looks to be the number 1 to start the playoffs. If he gets torched early by the Red Wings, Hiller will probably get the next start. Unless one of these goalies seizes the gig early, it could be over quickly for Anaheim.

St Louis - With Halak's injury problems and Elliott's stellar play of late, Elliott will be given the chance to run with the starting gig for the first couple of games. The series with LA should be a low scoring affair so it could be Round 2 before Halak even gets a shot. If Elliott starts the post-season the way he started the regular season though, the Blues will probably ride Halak as long as they are alive.

Vancouver - The Nucks better hope that Schneider gets over his illness soon or they won't have a chance to have a goalie controversy on their hands.

That's my take on some interesting goalie situations that have developed. What do you guys think?
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Ninja

Couple comments:

-Emery is not "healthy and ready to go"... he's injured and his status is unclear
    -Luongo has been slated as the Canucks starter for game 1
    -I think Elliott will be in net the whole way for the Blues... dude has been unreal and Halak will be rusty.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Couple comments:

-Emery is not "healthy and ready to go"... he's injured and his status is unclear
    -Luongo has been slated as the Canucks starter for game 1
    -I think Elliott will be in net the whole way for the Blues... dude has been unreal and Halak will be rusty.
    Wow, when I checked on Yahoo just prior to posting this, the note was saying that Emery was expected to be back for tomorrow night, now that has obviously changed. Makes Crawford a much better choice in my playoff pool then.

Luongo being the starter for Game 1 is why I believe the Canucks should be praying Schneider returns quickly.

I just can't bring myself to put any faith in Elliott after his tremendously streaky career including the start of this season.