Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Draft Day - Chatter

Dobber Sports Padawan

-Some pretty big surprises last night. Overall, I found the 1st round to be entertaining even though it lacked last years star power.
    -felt bad for Geno. Actually, it made me more uncomfortable than anything else
    -mayock and Eisen should have their own sitcom. I'm thinking along the lines of 'Perfect Strangers'

Dobber Sports Novice

Default QB's not worth it?

With the history of teams reaching, sometimes wildly, for QB's in the draft and the league having turned into more of a pass first game, you really have to figure that teams do not think very highly of the QB's in this draft at all. It's not like teams are drafting high profile RBs and WRs instead either. I figure either scouting staffs don't like any of these guys - save Manuel by the Bills - or they feel there's not much difference between them and will be fine selecting whoever falls to them early in the second round.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhale View Post
    -Some pretty big surprises last night. Overall, I found the 1st round to be entertaining even though it lacked last years star power.
    -felt bad for Geno. Actually, it made me more uncomfortable than anything else
    -mayock and Eisen should have their own sitcom. I'm thinking along the lines of 'Perfect Strangers'
    Agreed. And regarding Geno, a touch surprising that he's fallen so much I think. Though I can't help thinking that the fact that he's now left town and won't be attending on Friday speaks a little bit to his maturity level. A tough situation for sure (and I'd be devastated too if I were him), but there's been plenty of highly touted players to have fallen, who sucked it up in the green room, and went on to be stars who had some instant respect from their teammates over their class in handling a difficult situation.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Best and Worst

Best pick of the draft so far:
    Jarvis Jones - He fits to a tee the Steelers defense and I can't believe he fell so far I had him as one of the top overall prospects in the draft. Unless they've changed the linebackers job description to 'start with one hand on the ground and when the ball is snapped run 40 yards straight ahead as fast as you can' who the hell cares that he had a slow 40 time??? He led the NCAA in sacks in 2012!

Honorable mentions:
    Tavon Austin - Bradford has a new best friend, he starts week 1.
    Chance Warmack - I'm so high on Warmack as a run blocker I should be president of his fan club. CJ2K is going to LOVE running behind this guy.
    Star Lotulelei - Very surprised he fell this far, Carolina got a steal IMO.

Worst pick of the draft so far:
    Travis Frederick - Mayock mentioned it but I'll second the motion...this guy was NOT a first round talent, nowhere near it. Complete waste of a pick. Trade down to one of the teams to come up and grab their QB.

Dis-Honorable mentions:
    Tyler Eifert - Not because he's not talented but the Bengals already have Gresham and a kid named Orson Charles who's gonna be fantastic. Really didn't see the need here when they could have filled a hole elsewhere.
    EJ Manuel - Unless the Bills have some info we don't Manuel likely would have been around at their next pick and if not another comparable QB would be. Manuel is a little overrated he might turn out to be a solid QB but never a franchise changer. Should have taken a wideout at 16 IMO or kept their pick and took Austin at 8

Dobber Sports Pro

Manuel was the 2nd worst pick of the first round after Frederick, hell I didn't even have him in the top 3 QB for the draft...
    1) Barkley
    2) Smith
    3) Nassib
    4) Bray
    5) Manuel
    Straight Points keeper league. Keep 5 Forwards,3 defence,1 goalie.

F: Nicklas Backstrom, Joe Thornton, Henrik Zetterberg, Zach Parise, Logan Couture

D: Erik Karlsson, Alex Pietrangelo, Oliver Ekman-Larsson

G: Sergei Bobrovsky

Quote Originally Posted by dodospice View Post
    Manuel was the 2nd worst pick of the first round after Frederick, hell I didn't even have him in the top 3 QB for the draft...
    1) Barkley
    2) Smith
    3) Nassib
    4) Bray
    5) Manuel
    Not saying much for the Jets considering their glaring need at QB.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by steve_oshp View Post
    Best pick of the draft so far:
    Jarvis Jones - He fits to a tee the Steelers defense and I can't believe he fell so far I had him as one of the top overall prospects in the draft. Unless they've changed the linebackers job description to 'start with one hand on the ground and when the ball is snapped run 40 yards straight ahead as fast as you can' who the hell cares that he had a slow 40 time??? He led the NCAA in sacks in 2012!

Honorable mentions:
    Tavon Austin - Bradford has a new best friend, he starts week 1.
    Chance Warmack - I'm so high on Warmack as a run blocker I should be president of his fan club. CJ2K is going to LOVE running behind this guy.
    Star Lotulelei - Very surprised he fell this far, Carolina got a steal IMO.

Worst pick of the draft so far:
    Travis Frederick - Mayock mentioned it but I'll second the motion...this guy was NOT a first round talent, nowhere near it. Complete waste of a pick. Trade down to one of the teams to come up and grab their QB.

Dis-Honorable mentions:
    Tyler Eifert - Not because he's not talented but the Bengals already have Gresham and a kid named Orson Charles who's gonna be fantastic. Really didn't see the need here when they could have filled a hole elsewhere.
    EJ Manuel - Unless the Bills have some info we don't Manuel likely would have been around at their next pick and if not another comparable QB would be. Manuel is a little overrated he might turn out to be a solid QB but never a franchise changer. Should have taken a wideout at 16 IMO or kept their pick and took Austin at 8
    The Frederick pick comes as absolutely no surprise from Jerry Jones. This is the same idiot that back in 2004 with Steven Jackson right there for the taking, opted to trade out of the first round altogether and then take Julius Jones. I've learned since Jimmy Johnson was fired and Jerry took over as decision maker to keep any and all hard, throwable objects out of easy reach when watching the draft, lest my TV suffer the inevitable wrath.

Jerry is easily the case study in the damage done by meddlesome owners. His ego and insistence on being the GM instead of conceding player personnel decisions to somebody who actually know what the **** their doing is the reason my beloved Cowboys are the dysfunctional mess they are. Maybe it's time to rethink being a Cowboys fan until he's gone.....
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

based on what?

It's a crap shoot no doubt, w/any of them. But every scout that I have heard/read agrees that EJ is the most raw yet physically gifted and highest upside.

The other "Big Three" are what they are, with not as high a ceiling.

As for EJ being there in the second round. Perhaps, but the Bills got an extra 2nd rounder to address any other needs - a round that will be deep with D, WR and TE value.

Risk...sure but so was Ryan Leaf. And if Geno can't get over himself and suck it up untill the 2nd round, one wonders how his frail ego will handle competing for the starters job, or getting the shit knocked outta him in the pocket.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Not saying much for the Jets considering their glaring need at QB.
    I think they needed to move a QB before drafting one. They already have Sanchez, Tebow and Garrard on their roster.

This pick was brutal for the Jets. They are quickly becoming the new Raiders of the NFL. Laughing stock.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Lions pick their guard in the 3rd round. Smart..imo. Picking a guard at #1 or #2 overall is wasteful.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Novice

based on what?

It's a crap shoot no doubt, w/any of them. But every scout that I have heard/read agrees that EJ is the most raw yet physically gifted and highest upside.

The other "Big Three" are what they are, with not as high a ceiling.

As for EJ being there in the second round. Perhaps, but the Bills got an extra 2nd rounder to address any other needs - a round that will be deep with D, WR and TE value.

Risk...sure but so was Ryan Leaf. And if Geno can't get over himself and suck it up untill the 2nd round, one wonders how his frail ego will handle competing for the starters job, or getting the shit knocked outta him in the pocket.
    I based it on the fact that none of the teams with a big need at the position felt the need to 'take a chance' on any of the QB's up to that point. And I really didn't see any of the teams after the Bills at 16 taking a QB. Sure it's possible a team trades up into the bottom of the first to grab Manuel but I really didn't see that happening or it starting any kind of QB run where the Bills would be left with no viable QB to draft. I don't really have an issue with the trade down, just taking Manuel there I feel was a huge reach.
    Not sure about using Ryan Leaf as an example of why teams SHOULD take a risk?

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I think they needed to move a QB before drafting one. They already have Sanchez, Tebow and Garrard on their roster.

This pick was brutal for the Jets. They are quickly becoming the new Raiders of the NFL. Laughing stock.
    I thought it was hilarious that plenty of media were talking about the Jets being in dire need of a QB and then when they take one react in horror about all the drama it's going to cause LOL

I don't mind the pick that much, it should be an open 3 way competition at QB and Tebow will be gone well before camp. I'm thinking maybe the Jets are still holding out hope of trading him, maybe to a team who doesn't get their QB in the draft? Who knows.

Hey, easy on the Raider hating

I based it on the fact that none of the teams with a big need at the position felt the need to 'take a chance' on any of the QB's up to that point. And I really didn't see any of the teams after the Bills at 16 taking a QB. Sure it's possible a team trades up into the bottom of the first to grab Manuel but I really didn't see that happening or it starting any kind of QB run where the Bills would be left with no viable QB to draft. I don't really have an issue with the trade down, just taking Manuel there I feel was a huge reach.
    Not sure about using Ryan Leaf as an example of why teams SHOULD take a risk?
    I admitted EJ could have been available in the 2nd.

I was referring to this comment

Manuel is a little overrated he might turn out to be a solid QB but never a franchise changer.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Deity

I thought it was hilarious that plenty of media were talking about the Jets being in dire need of a QB and then when they take one react in horror about all the drama it's going to cause LOL

I don't mind the pick that much, it should be an open 3 way competition at QB and Tebow will be gone well before camp. I'm thinking maybe the Jets are still holding out hope of trading him, maybe to a team who doesn't get their QB in the draft? Who knows.

Hey, easy on the Raider hating
    They need to better protect the QB's they already have. Their O-line is pouris, their receiving corp is brutal. I agree, their QB situation is far from stellar, but their receivers didnt give a lot to throw at.

I love what the Jets did on day 1 by selecting Milliner. Richardson at 13 was probably a bit of a reach (and did they really need a D lineman when there were better options still available?) and it was obvious that Geno Smith was one of the best QB options heading into the draft (for what that was worth) but unless the Jets plan on dealing one or more of their QBs for some offensive help (WR and TE), they are destined to be back near the top of the draft picking again next year.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Novice

I admitted EJ could have been available in the 2nd.

I was referring to this comment
    Oh, that's just my personal opinion. You're right with your crap shoot comment especially about any of the QB's in this year's draft. I just don't see him becoming a 'franchise' QB that was worth a first round pick based on what I've seen. I guess time will tell.