Page 203 of 240 FirstFirst ... 103 153 193 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 213 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,045 of 3596

Thread: I need a new show...

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: I need a new show...

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Who's seen House of Dragons? What'd you guys think?

I'm watching it tonight so no spoilers
    I liked it, got to see the family of chaos and their beginnings. I can already imagine the in fighting that could happen lol...
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Titan

I've never been into GOT but I've heard very good things about the spin off show from my fiance and her friends. They've said there's a book that they are following, so it's based off established writing unlike the GOT final season. Also said it's well made, and looks like a movie and not a TV show, for what it's worth
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Demi-God

First episode of House of Dragons was... tight. Tight = very, very, VERY good... especially for those ASOIAF purists that like when the TV GoT stuff closely follows Martin's work.

YES... there is a 700+ pg book by George R.R. Martin called "Fire & Blood".
    And this first episode of House of Dragons very, very closely follows what he wrote.

I watched it last night... read a few backstory pages... then watched 5-10 min, then read a few more pages... watched 5-10min.
    While this isn't for everybody, it does (IMO) provide for a VERY rich experience into understanding the depths of this.

(FWIW - The "Westeros" history sort of starts with Targaryen rule in a Year0... and this House of Dragons starts around 101AC, but then fast forwards to about 105-106AC. DanyT and JonSnow were both born in 273AC and most of GoT tv series takes place in 290AC-303AC, working off memory)

Anyways... for anybody that does happen to stumble across Fire & Blood (in library or borrow or own... around page 339-359 makes for great depth reading for episode #1... I oopsy-read a few paragraphs too far and got a bit of a spoiler on what I'll probably see in episodes 2 or 3... which is only going to thicken the relationship tension!!!

SO looking forward to this series!
    I think it's going to be really, really good.

Casting is awesome, it seems... and that was a really huge part of nailing the original GoT.

Dobber Sports Genius

I enjoyed HOD and I'm not an avid follower of GOT - only watched the last season. This was a great first episode. Many recognizable actors in it. I could follow the story easily. Sadly, can't binge the show. 9/10

Black Bird was excellent. Great finale. 9/10 for me.

Better Call Saul. Great wrap up to a great series. Poignant ending. I was great to see Walter White, Jesse and Mike get some air time over the last few episodes. Rhea Seehorn deserves much recognition for her work as Kim Wexler. 9/10

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I've never been into GOT but I've heard very good things about the spin off show from my fiance and her friends. They've said there's a book that they are following, so it's based off established writing unlike the GOT final season. Also said it's well made, and looks like a movie and not a TV show, for what it's worth
    Whaaaaaat. You should probably go back and watch GOT. Yes the ending sucked but the show was still one of the best of all time.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    First episode of House of Dragons was... tight. Tight = very, very, VERY good... especially for those ASOIAF purists that like when the TV GoT stuff closely follows Martin's work.

YES... there is a 700+ pg book by George R.R. Martin called "Fire & Blood".
    And this first episode of House of Dragons very, very closely follows what he wrote.

I watched it last night... read a few backstory pages... then watched 5-10 min, then read a few more pages... watched 5-10min.
    While this isn't for everybody, it does (IMO) provide for a VERY rich experience into understanding the depths of this.

(FWIW - The "Westeros" history sort of starts with Targaryen rule in a Year0... and this House of Dragons starts around 101AC, but then fast forwards to about 105-106AC. DanyT and JonSnow were both born in 273AC and most of GoT tv series takes place in 290AC-303AC, working off memory)

Anyways... for anybody that does happen to stumble across Fire & Blood (in library or borrow or own... around page 339-359 makes for great depth reading for episode #1... I oopsy-read a few paragraphs too far and got a bit of a spoiler on what I'll probably see in episodes 2 or 3... which is only going to thicken the relationship tension!!!

SO looking forward to this series!
    I think it's going to be really, really good.

Casting is awesome, it seems... and that was a really huge part of nailing the original GoT.

You've made me want to read this now. Is it the same "chapter format" as the original books?

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Whaaaaaat. You should probably go back and watch GOT. Yes the ending sucked but the show was still one of the best of all time.
    I struggle with shows that have characters and locations with weird names. So watching the first episode of GoT (prolly when it was 2-3 seasons in) I was told it was so good and I made a big effort to remember names of people. So watching I was like, "Ok this dude, I got his name" then he was beheaded. Then I was like 'Ok I know death is a thing in this show, I'll remember this guys name" then he was killed. This happened liek 3-4 times in the first 20min and I was like "Ok I can't do this!"

I never got into Lord of the Rings because of the names thing. Just couldn't enjoy it.

Dobber Sports Master

the teaser for prime's upcoming series lord of the rings (rings of power)looks impressive

Dobber Sports Demi-God

You've made me want to read this now. Is it the same "chapter format" as the original books?

No. It's more of a "history" book.
    I wouldn't actually recommend it unless somebody is an absolute, DIE-HARD asoiaf fan (meaning, you've read the books twice+).
    It does make a great companion read with the show (at least the first episode).
    So if there is a copy at your local library... worth checking out and flipping to the timeline portion that lines up with House of Dragons.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    the teaser for prime's upcoming series lord of the rings (rings of power)looks impressive
    Can't wait....
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    No. It's more of a "history" book.
    I wouldn't actually recommend it unless somebody is an absolute, DIE-HARD asoiaf fan (meaning, you've read the books twice+).
    It does make a great companion read with the show (at least the first episode).
    So if there is a copy at your local library... worth checking out and flipping to the timeline portion that lines up with House of Dragons.
    it's also a good read to understand the depth of George Martin's mind.
    few people have the ability to create such a detailed history of a fake civilization.
    Mind you, if you read through history... 90% of major events are either a direct or partial rip off of real history
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Sage

Is it though? Has there ever been such a popular, critically-acclaimed show that fell from pop culture consciousness as quickly as GoT? If the writers gave us an ending that people remotely liked it would be on the short list with Breaking Bad, Sopranos, and The Wire as the greatest TV show of all time. Maybe this series can rejuvenate the series somewhat. Those writers have to wake up in the middle of the night and think "What the f*** did we do?"
    Last edited by Daydream Nation; August 24, 2022 at 9:20 PM. Reason: wrong word
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Is it though? Has there ever been such a popular, critically-acclaimed show that fell from pop culture relevance so quickly as GoT? If the writers gave us an ending that people remotely liked it would be on the short list with Breaking Bad, Sopranos, and The Wire as the greatest TV show of all time. Maybe this series can rejuvenate the series somewhat. Those writers have to wake up in the middle of the night and think "What the f*** did we do?"
    For the majority of the series yes it was. No other show captivated an audience on such a large scale like GOT.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Is it though? Has there ever been such a popular, critically-acclaimed show that fell from pop culture consciousness as quickly as GoT? If the writers gave us an ending that people remotely liked it would be on the short list with Breaking Bad, Sopranos, and The Wire as the greatest TV show of all time. Maybe this series can rejuvenate the series somewhat. Those writers have to wake up in the middle of the night and think "What the f*** did we do?"
    Lost
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    Lost
    I loved Lost, but I can only watch up to like season 3 during re-watching. It's terrible and convoluted only to extend the series for money. I'm a firm believer shows need to begin wrapping up by the end of season 3. You then have 2-3 seasons of figuring out how to end things perfectly. Audiences care more about the ending than the beginning, and most people HATE sudden endings because it feels lazy.

The issue with this is though, if you are writing a S3 to end with the beginning of the end of the series, you are throwing money away in the eyes of the big-wigs. Which is ballsy.