Page 13 of 240 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 23 63 113 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a new show...

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: I need a new show...

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    Anyway, yeah, HoC is excellent, as long as you're okay with virtually every character in the show being a terrible person.
    In other words, its a very realistic depiction of our political world. I don't mind it at all. Sounds a little like Game of Thrones but in the white house instead of Westeros lol

I just want a compelling show that's well scripted with good characters.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    In other words, its a very realistic depiction of our political world. I don't mind it at all. Sounds a little like Game of Thrones but in the white house instead of Westeros lol

I think it's more caricatures than characters, which is my issue with the show. Also, it's Kevin Spacey at his most over-the-top, which some people have real issues with.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Genius

Yeah, pretty much.

Sounds like HoC would fit the bill for you. It really is an excellent series. If you give it a go, be sure to share your thoughts!

Dobber Sports Ninja

I've been clearing out my list of "reality" television shows to watch lately (like the past few months)

Watched Season 1 of Whodunnit (interesting idea, but over the top "acting" by people sort of ruined it. If they just acknowledged that it was a parlour game setup then it would have been much better).

Watched Season 1 of Solitary (another interesting idea and I actually enjoyed it. Could have been much better though, and maybe one day I'll watch future seasons where they will actually interact with each other a bit more. Not sure if that will be good or bad)

Halfway through Season 1 of Capture. This one has been a bit of a dud. Way more fun to be on the show then to watch it.

Almost caught up on all Seasons of Survivor now as well. I'll never stop being a fan of that show and the past few seasons have been some of the best since they started the series.

I watched the pilot episode of The Quest (episode 2 I have not seen yet) and it was just odd. I'll probably watch it just because I'll want to see who wins, but I'd be surprised if I have good feelings on it by the end.

Been watching Big Brother this summer as well - not live as I don't have cable or anything, but generally within 48 hours I'll catch the episode.

I love the more competitive versions of "reality" television and aside from sports, it's pretty much the only tv I watch. I try, from time to time, to start a new series that is a drama or whatever, but typically I get bored after a season or so and never return to it.

Dobber Sports Ace

the acting in HoC is exceptional

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I think it's more caricatures than characters, which is my issue with the show. Also, it's Kevin Spacey at his most over-the-top, which some people have real issues with.
    That will probably be an issue for me too... the shows that I really enjoy are ones where I really connect with the characters, either by really rooting for them, or hating them. Having said that, the Office was full of caricatures and I loved it, so I'm trying to be open minded.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    Yeah, pretty much.

Sounds like HoC would fit the bill for you. It really is an excellent series. If you give it a go, be sure to share your thoughts!
    I'll give it a shot - gonna watch the first 3-4 episodes and then decide.

The problem with me is that once I've "invested" an entire season into a show... I then feel obligated to finish off the entire show, no matter how bad (ie: Smallville, Walking Dead). Terrible logic, but what can I say, that's just how my mind works. I should probably stay away from stocks lol.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Speaking of good shows... can't wait to see this spin-off from Breaking Bad!!!

Great concept for a potentially long-running show... so many directions they can go with this one.

Administrator

That will probably be an issue for me too... the shows that I really enjoy are ones where I really connect with the characters, either by really rooting for them, or hating them. Having said that, the Office was full of caricatures and I loved it, so I'm trying to be open minded.
    The difference here is that that show was intentionally trying to be funny. This one isn't. And I actually enjoyed House of Cards, especially the first season. It's just not what I consider "good" television.

Dobber Sports Star

I've finished the new season of 24 and have officially caught up on all my current shows (just Suits really).

Figured it was time to dust off this thread since I've gotten some solid ideas here.

What's good nowadays? I'm hearing rave reviews about House of Cards...
    I'm currently watching House of Cards and I love it.

I finished watching Bones and Firefly a couple weeks ago. Loved both.

If you like Anime, checkout Death Note if you haven't already.

Administrator

Speaking of good shows... can't wait to see this spin-off from Breaking Bad!!!

Great concept for a potentially long-running show... so many directions they can go with this one.

I'm horribly afraid that direction is going to be down.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I'm horribly afraid that direction is going to be down.
    After how Breaking Bad ended, it will seem like fans will want nothing less than season 5 quality and I think they won't be able to reach that (right away at least) and that could really hurt the show early on.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by MarmotKing View Post
    After how Breaking Bad ended, it will seem like fans will want nothing less than season 5 quality and I think they won't be able to reach that (right away at least) and that could really hurt the show early on.
    I can't say that I like the history of spin-offs where the characters involved already had very clear identities on the shows they were previously on. Saul had a very specific corner on a much broader show. Doesn't seem that there is really that much to explore. I mean, sure, we'd all love to see more Saul interacting with drug dealers but that sounds more like a series of web shorts than a full blown TV series. I mean, what's there to know about Saul beyond what we already know? And how can there be stakes when we already know where he ends up?

I'll give them a million chances to prove me wrong but I'm just not a believer.

Dobber Sports Master

Rarely do spinoffs work IMO. The only one I can think of that equaled the success of its original show, and that may be stretching it in some people's opinion, is "Frasier" which was a spinoff of "Cheers".

I will give Saul a chance because I loved Breaking Bad, but I think they better come out with a slam bang winning plot before too long or risk having a dud on their hands.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    Rarely do spinoffs work IMO. The only one I can think of that equaled the success of its original show, and that may be stretching it in some people's opinion, is "Frasier" which was a spinoff of "Cheers".

I will give Saul a chance because I loved Breaking Bad, but I think they better come out with a slam bang winning plot before too long or risk having a dud on their hands.
    Frasier is the best example I've heard of as well. And that was one where they took a really fringe character that could be better explored. Seems to me there's a bit too much "getting the gang back together" going on with Saul.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    The only one I can think of that equaled the success of its original show, and that may be stretching it in some people's opinion, is "Frasier" which was a spinoff of "Cheers".
    Does the Colbert Report count?