Thread: Cam Neely comparables

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Cam Neely comparables

Obviously there aren't any players who can concurrently intimidate with offense and physicality like Cam could in his prime... but who are the five closest comparisons?

Am I off?

Ovechkin
    Perry
    Backes
    Lucic
    Brown

HM:

Neal
    Nash
    E. Kane
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by angus View Post
    Obviously there aren't any players who can concurrently intimidate with offense and physicality like Cam could in his prime... but who are the five closest comparisons?

Am I off?

Ovechkin
    Perry
    Backes
    Lucic
    Brown

HM:

Neal
    Nash
    E. Kane
    Good list!

Landeskog might be another comparable. Get him into the playoffs and I think he'll shine!
    Yahoo 1 Year Leagues:
    G, A, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 4Bn, 1IR

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas0Aequitas View Post
    Good list!

Landeskog might be another comparable. Get him into the playoffs and I think he'll shine!
    Wow biased to the max. No. Just no. Landeskog can barely be considered a power forward, let alone a physically dominant force. In terms of offense and physicality, add Chris Stewart to the mix, expecially the way he's picked up his scoring this year. Probably not ahead of any of those 5, but still.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

The only guys that are relevant in terms of physicality AND scoring ability are Ovy and Kane IMO. But they are still nowhere close.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    The only guys that are relevant in terms of physicality AND scoring ability are Ovy and Kane IMO. But they are still nowhere close.
    I was thinking this too...

If the Jets ran Buff out there full-time at forward he'd qualify too!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Wow biased to the max. No. Just no. Landeskog can barely be considered a power forward, let alone a physically dominant force. In terms of offense and physicality, add Chris Stewart to the mix, expecially the way he's picked up his scoring this year. Probably not ahead of any of those 5, but still.
    LOL this is too much. You'd rank Chris Stewart in front of Landeskog? Did you see how many hits Landeskog had in his rookie year? 219. That was good enough for 19th among ALL NHL FORWARDS including guys like David Backes and Dustin Brown.

How many hits did Chris Stewart have last year? 112. I'm not denying Chris Stewart is a powerforward, but there is no way he belongs in the same discussion as Landeskog.

So, no. Not biased. You obviously have no clue what you're talking about.
    Yahoo 1 Year Leagues:
    G, A, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 4Bn, 1IR

Administrator

And I came in here thinking the comparison would be players starting their careers in Vancouver and flourishing elsewhere... silly me.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

I think Ovechkin is better than Neely in just about every aspect of the game - though to be fair, I've only seen Neely play a few times. Still, almost no one has or had the kind of game Ovechkin has- and I'm saying that as a Penguins fan.
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Dobber Sports Star

I agree with this. A couple of years ago I probably would have included Iginla in this too, but he was never as physically punishing.

Lucic has it from the physicality perspective, but he doesn't have the offensive skills.

Perry is an agitator with great skills/hands... he won't make you regret being on the ice against him.

Brown and Backes both have tough elements to their game, but their offensive skills aren't what Neely's were.

For me the comparison comes down to a player having the tools to make a perfectly legitimate choice between making an opposing defender look like a pylon or physically taking them out of the play. I can't think of anyone but Evander Kane and Ovechkin that would fit the bill.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Thanks for the thoughts and opinions (except you, Eric).
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Ninja

Iginla has lost a step but in his prime he fit the description very well.

Banned

iginla's best was better than neely's best - though iggy is the only name mentioned that is even remotely in the same class and style of player that neely was. people were afraid to play against cam neely... and they should have been.

Dobber Sports Legend

Neely was a rare bird. He was one of my favorite players as a kid so I watched him all the time. There is nobody today that is a Neely clone, but I will describe it this way...

Lucic is the closest to Neely in terms is skating, hitting, compete level and raw nastiness. The biggest difference are the hands - Neely had mitts of gold.

Ovechkin has more speed, sizzle and talent than Neely but isn't NEARLY as mean or physical - not even close. Same with Evander Kane, who is rugged by today's standards but nothing compared to Neely.

Perry and Neal fit into the power forward/agitator category and are not as rugged or tough as Neely.

Nash is not even close to the complete package Neely was.

Iginla was close at one time but he is more finesse than Neely and smaller, less mean.

Backes and Simmonds are hard-nosed, gritty types but neither have Neely's hands or game - same with Callahan, Brown or Clowe.

The only comparable could be made with a hybrid approach - Thomas Vanek and Milan Lucic bundled together gives you Cam Neely. In close, Neely was blessed with incredible hands like Vanek. During the 80s-90s, the only players who were as dangerous as Neely from 15 feet in were Tim Kerr, Luc Robitaille and Dave Andreychuk.

Neely played a lot like Vanek where he would battle in front of the net and score a bunch on the PP and in close. He could beat goalies with wristers, snappers, backhands and deflections - you name it. But he also was Milan Lucic at his best where he would hunt players and destroy them with heavy hits and battle anyone along the boards. He would also drop the gloves and punch tons of face.

Yep - Vanek and Lucic hybrid = Cam Neely.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka