Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Phaneuf nominated!

Dobber Sports Master

Default Phaneuf nominated!

sentium wrote:
    Crazynuck: Well, first of all, the Norris isn\'t won by the most prolific scoring Dman by default. Streit, for example, isn\'t nearly as good defensively as either of Chara, Phaneuf or Lidstrom (obvious comparisons because they are finalists this year). Year in, year out, everyone talks about how insanely effective Lidstrom is defensively, how he shuts whole offenses down with his controlling play. There\'s no reputation going on there from year to year, he actually always delivers.

Why there are generally less one-year wonders that win the Norris trophy... well, probably because a defenseman often gets talked about as his defensive skills grows and the winner has to have pretty substantial skill in that department to win. So that might explain the reputation thing.

Sentium I understand its not just points that makes Lidstrom the Norris winner. I don\'t want to take anything away from Lidstrom cause he is a machine. Just wanted to raise a conversation.

Great responses everyone.
    30 GM Commish Dynasty
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Utl, 1G
    C:Savard,Filpulla,Arnott,Ott,Boyd,Weight,Rupp
    LW:Heatley,Morrow,Sullivan,Tambellini,Bissonnette, Pierro-Zabotel
    RW: Hemsky,Backes,Orr,Tikhonov,Artyukhin,Ortmeyer
    D:EJ,Ehrhoff,Hjalmarsson,Babchuk,Commodore
    G: M.A.Fleury,Deslauriers,Koskinen,Monnino

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Crazynuck wrote:
    sentium wrote:
    Crazynuck: Well, first of all, the Norris isn\'t won by the most prolific scoring Dman by default. Streit, for example, isn\'t nearly as good defensively as either of Chara, Phaneuf or Lidstrom (obvious comparisons because they are finalists this year). Year in, year out, everyone talks about how insanely effective Lidstrom is defensively, how he shuts whole offenses down with his controlling play. There\'s no reputation going on there from year to year, he actually always delivers.

Why there are generally less one-year wonders that win the Norris trophy... well, probably because a defenseman often gets talked about as his defensive skills grows and the winner has to have pretty substantial skill in that department to win. So that might explain the reputation thing.

Sentium I understand its not just points that makes Lidstrom the Norris winner. I don\'t want to take anything away from Lidstrom cause he is a machine. Just wanted to raise a conversation.

Great responses everyone.
    Hey, it\'s cool, it\'s an interesting topic What about if we switch the timeframe for the Norris/Hart comparison to where a lot of different dmen won while Gretzky/Lemieux almost always took home the Hart?
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Master

Lisdtrom IMO is one of the greatest D ever.
    Like Gretzky/Lemieux for forwards, he has dominated the Norris and will continue to do so.

How can you not award the Hart to guys like Gretzky/Lemieux in their prime.
    30 GM Commish Dynasty
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Utl, 1G
    C:Savard,Filpulla,Arnott,Ott,Boyd,Weight,Rupp
    LW:Heatley,Morrow,Sullivan,Tambellini,Bissonnette, Pierro-Zabotel
    RW: Hemsky,Backes,Orr,Tikhonov,Artyukhin,Ortmeyer
    D:EJ,Ehrhoff,Hjalmarsson,Babchuk,Commodore
    G: M.A.Fleury,Deslauriers,Koskinen,Monnino

Torture

Lidstrom on Phaneuf:

\"Dion has been getting better and better every year,\" said Lidstrom. \"And I think this year he\'s really stepped it up another notch. I think he\'s a great offensive defenceman. .. He sees the ice real well and he\'s able to jump up in the play and create a lot of offence.

\"But he\'s real solid defensively, too. I\'m anticipating him having a great career in this league and be nominated and maybe win Norris\'s for years to come, too.\"

Dobber Sports Padawan

So few defencemen can consistently be the defensive anchor of their team while putting up noteworthy offensive numbers.

I thought Redden was going to round out into one of those types of players, and it looked like he might finally become that player in 2005/06. Then over the last two seasons, he\'s taken a step back.

Lidstrom, Chara, Pronger and Neidermyer consistently stay at that level. Hopefuly Phaneuf remains in that category too for years to come.

...if I might add, we are currently dating, and she is quite a handful in the bedroom...