Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Phaneuf nominated!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Phaneuf nominated!

Congrats to Dion for being nominated for the Norris!

I think Lidstrom will win, but it\'s nice to see #3 for the Flames in there!

...if I might add, we are currently dating, and she is quite a handful in the bedroom...

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Phaneuf will have his name on this trophy soon enough but for now I think you are right, Lidstrom will once again have his name engraved on the Norris..

Way to go Dion!!
    Zorro..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Genius

No Gonchar ???

Kind of weird ...

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Congrats to all three... but How can Lidstrom not win???

10 more points than Dion.....more than 3 times the better +/-..no, he isn\'t the big hitter, but he plays such great position that he doesn\'t have to.... Runaway winner...

I have to put Chara at 2nd, mainly because he has similar numbers to Phaneuf...less Pms because no one will fight him... Boston was not supposed to make the playoffs after arguably their best player went down for the year...I think Chara has great numbers for having a relatively weak supporting cast.

Phaneuf is number 3... he will win it one day, but until he learns the defensive side of the game doesn\'t just include thundering checks...he is going to have problems...defensive lapses and giveaways seem to be more prominent in pressure games, but should improve over time..

Bottom Line...if Lidstrom doesn\'t win this, it will be a joke.

Dobber Sports Master

No respect for Gonchar.

For a guy who is a top 3-5 D year in and year out its a shame. The guy didnt even get put on the ballot for the all-star game.
    30 GM Commish Dynasty
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Utl, 1G
    C:Savard,Filpulla,Arnott,Ott,Boyd,Weight,Rupp
    LW:Heatley,Morrow,Sullivan,Tambellini,Bissonnette, Pierro-Zabotel
    RW: Hemsky,Backes,Orr,Tikhonov,Artyukhin,Ortmeyer
    D:EJ,Ehrhoff,Hjalmarsson,Babchuk,Commodore
    G: M.A.Fleury,Deslauriers,Koskinen,Monnino

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Lidstrom will run away with this one, Chara should be the solid 2nd with a few throw-in votes for Phaneuf. Dion will, as you guys point out, probably win a Norris or two down the line, but this year Chara has been the stabilizing factor Boston wanted him to be when they signed him.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Guru

great for phaneuf, and good sign for flames fans.

you guys are right, lidstrom totally deserves it this year. but i think if gonchar was a serious norris candidate then pittsburgh wouldn\'t have had to trade for hal gill.

Dobber Sports Master

While Savard is great ... its Chara that is the heart of this team. He deserves getting a nomination.
    30 GM Commish Dynasty

Dobber Sports Padawan

Aside from pim\'s, the numbers are very close between Gonchar and Phaneuf.

I\'m guessing the deciding factor was the more physical side that Phaneuf brings.

Streit, Markov, Green, Rafalski and Campbell must have been looked at as well.

...if I might add, we are currently dating, and she is quite a handful in the bedroom...

Dobber Sports Master

jL67s wrote:
    Aside from pim\'s, the numbers are very close between Gonchar and Phaneuf.

I\'m guessing the deciding factor was the more physical side that Phaneuf brings.

Streit, Markov, Green, Rafalski and Campbell must have been looked at as well.
    On this note is it just me that finds that the Norris is not based on one year preformance but on reputation unlike the ...

Hart: Crosby, JT, St.Louis, Forsberg, Theodore

&

Vezina: Brodeur, Kipper, Brodeur, Theodore, Hasek. Kolzig, Carey

The Norris has been won by Lidstrom, Niedermeyer, Pronger, ect the last few years but a one year wonder never wins this award. Even if Streit lead the league in scoring and had a great +/- I don\'t think he would have won the Norris.

my $.02

thoughts?
    30 GM Commish Dynasty

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Crazynuck: Well, first of all, the Norris isn\'t won by the most prolific scoring Dman by default. Streit, for example, isn\'t nearly as good defensively as either of Chara, Phaneuf or Lidstrom (obvious comparisons because they are finalists this year). Year in, year out, everyone talks about how insanely effective Lidstrom is defensively, how he shuts whole offenses down with his controlling play. There\'s no reputation going on there from year to year, he actually always delivers.

Why there are generally less one-year wonders that win the Norris trophy... well, probably because a defenseman often gets talked about as his defensive skills grows and the winner has to have pretty substantial skill in that department to win. So that might explain the reputation thing.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Expert

ultrawhiteness wrote:
    great for phaneuf, and good sign for flames fans.

you guys are right, lidstrom totally deserves it this year. but i think if gonchar was a serious norris candidate then pittsburgh wouldn\'t have had to trade for hal gill.
    well, they need more than 1 D...Detroit has Rafalski + Lidstrom, and I don\'t see how that detracts from Lidstrom.

Dobber Sports Ninja

How will we know if that\'s true or not. The reason those guys keep winning is because they are consistently the best guys in the league - particularly in Lidstrom\'s case. The guy has to be classified as one of the greatest defencemen ever to play the game.

Dobber Sports Pro

I think it is much more subjective when discussing defensemen. Points are Points, so forwards are easy to compare. Sprinkle in leadership and some intangibles and one of tht top scorers in the league is probably winning the Hart. Goalies numbers are reliant on their team but it is easy to see if a goalie with lesser numbers regularly STEALS games or keeps his team close enough to make it interesting.

Defense is tougher to compare since they all bring very differnet elements and are valuable in their own ways. Dion is a monster. At 22 yrs old, already is one of the leagues most punishing hitters, a Power Play goal FIEND, and only getting better. Chara is 10 feet tall out there and you have to take a detour to get around him. He can bring it from the point and is a fixture in ALL situations.

Lidstrom is the PERFECT Defenseman. Makes almost NO MISTAKES and you are shocked when it happens. I remember a game early on when he took a mistep at the point and fell leading to a 2-on-1 the other way and the announcers didnt even know what to say. Funny to hear two guys all quiet in the booth and then one finally says, man, you may never see that again, or something to that effect. He can bring it from the point but better still, they are on net or where they can be tipped by the forwards taking the beating down low. He is a crisp passer, rarely makes a bad look, and is great on the breakout to the speedy forwards. On D, he is always right where you want him. Doesnt hammer people as much as makes them disappear. Blocks tons of shots and passes with his stickwork and never gets a shift wasted playing against Line Four. He is always paired against the other teams big guns and that is what makes his +/- even More Sick.

The trophy is his until he wants to let it go.
    6Team/Points Only H2H Keep: 37+3goalies Start: 13F/6D/2G
    FWD = G(2), A(1), PP/SH(+1), GW(+2), SHOG(1)
    DEF = G(3), A(2), PP/SH(+1), GW(+2), SHOG(1)
    GOAL = W(3), OTL(1), SO(+2), SV(.10)

FOR: Malkin Ovechkin Kessel Stepan Gaborik Zetterberg Carter Vanek Pacioretty Duchene Skinner Lupul Hornqvist Perron Semin Okposo Byfuglien Granlund Bennett Strome Bjugstad Nichushkin Yakupov Galchenyuk Grigorenko Kuznetsov Kucherov Etem Burakovsky
    D: Letang Goligoski Kronwall Voynov JustinSchultz Hedman RyanMurphy AdamLarsson Pulock Sproul
    G: Lundqvist Lehtonen Schneider

Torture

Congrats to the Dion!

HUGE to be nominated at such a young age...he won\'t win, but he definitely deserves the nomination.

I can\'t wait \'till he gets older and better...this kids going to be good guys. :P

(Maybe not Weber good...[HF would rather have Weber than Phaneuf])
    ....Or Burns good lol
    ....But he\'s something special.