Thread: Riots in Montreal

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Riots in Montreal

...Apparently. My roommate called from downtown, he\'s at my brother\'s place which is near the bell center. I don\'t really know how big a deal it is, I think it\'s mostly under control now and was short lived but a cop car (empty I\'m pretty sure) was attacked with molotov cocktails right outside my bro\'s place and blew up, people were throwing bricks at churches... what a bunch of ******s. I\'m still hearing sirens.

Torture

I was watching footage of it online. At least 6 cop cars were lit on fire, it was ridiculous.

And I have a tool on my facebook trying to defend Montreal fans saying that they\'re the most passionate fans in the league so it\'s OK. SERIOUSLY? When is it OK to riot and light cars on fire!???

Nothing shows passion for your team like lighting cars on fire.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

The unfortunate thing about all of this is that the media takes events such as these and then paints a picture of hockey fans being no more than a bunch of idiotic and violent hooligans. The truth is that the people doing the vandalizing aren\'t even true hockey fans, just individuals who took this opportunity to riot.

Dobber Sports Giant

skid.row wrote:
    The unfortunate thing about all of this is that the media takes events such as these and then paints a picture of hockey fans being no more than a bunch of idiotic and violent hooligans. The truth is that the people doing the vandalizing aren\'t even true hockey fans, just individuals who took this opportunity to riot.
    Can\'t agree more! It\'s happening everytime and like you said skid.row, it\'s definitely not related to hockey fans but just to a bunch of STUPID people.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

skid.row wrote:
    Can you really blame the media for doing that though? Montreal fans brought it on themselves by acting like idiots. After a FIRST ROUND win no less.

I like this from Damien Cox\'s blog:

From a sports point of view, no longer will Montrealers be able to mock Torontonians for the way in which they take to the streets with honking car horns after the Maple Leafs win a playoff round, if anyone in the GTA can actually remember back that far.

http://thestar.blogs.com/thespin/

Dobber Sports Wizard

I have never understood \"celebrating\" this way. Your team just won a huge game and you go out and trash the city? Whatever....
    Looking for a league

Woodbridge Wild

JFHL Cup Champions 08-09 & 10-11

Dobber Sports Initiate

As in \'93 -the individuals involved in the rioting were not even at the game or really interested, they just needed an excuse to cause trouble. Get the cops out in riot gear next time and crack a few heads - that should put a stop to it. 21, 273 people who attended the game were not in that riot
    Mooseheads: 14 team H2H (CBS)
    +/-,G,A,DG,DA,PIM,PPP,GWG,GAA,SPct,W,
    Dress 8F,4D,2Gweekly,roster22,3Gmax
    F:Benn,Tavares,Backstrom,Galchenyuk,O'Reilly,Kuche rov,E.Kane,Radulov,N.Foligno,T.Ennis,Lee,Hartman,T ,Johnson
    D:Weber,Burns,Werenski,Vlasic,Theodore,Severson
    G:Bishop,Fleury,Mrazek

Dobber Sports Genius

Bighabfan wrote:
    As in \'93 -the individuals involved in the rioting were not even at the game or really interested, they just needed an excuse to cause trouble. Get the cops out in riot gear next time and crack a few heads - that should put a stop to it. 21, 273 people who attended the game were not in that riot
    That\'s exactly what I would say ...

If you watch the footage, you won\'t see anyone with an Habs jersey. Only a couple of bums in need to rub something.

Pathetic !!!

Dobber Sports Master

I don\'t understand rioting when you win...after the riot in \'94 the police have prevented Robson from getting out of hand during the playoffs.
    30 GM Commish Dynasty
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Utl, 1G
    C:Savard,Filpulla,Arnott,Ott,Boyd,Weight,Rupp
    LW:Heatley,Morrow,Sullivan,Tambellini,Bissonnette, Pierro-Zabotel
    RW: Hemsky,Backes,Orr,Tikhonov,Artyukhin,Ortmeyer
    D:EJ,Ehrhoff,Hjalmarsson,Babchuk,Commodore
    G: M.A.Fleury,Deslauriers,Koskinen,Monnino

Dobber Sports Prodigy

i was celebrating in the streets and there was no violence, everybody was partying and enjoying the win. I saw a few people talking about going trashing stuff on Ste-Catherine\'s street and none of them seemed like hockey fans, they just took advantage of the opportunity. What do I hear a few hour later... 5-6 torched cars, 16 arrests, ... This is ridiculous, real Canadiens fans wouldn\'t have done this after such a win... Go Habs Go!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Crazynuck wrote:
    I don\'t understand rioting when you win...after the riot in \'94 the police have prevented Robson from getting out of hand during the playoffs.
    exactly. *IF* there is to be a riot, it should only be a result of a loss.

Dobber Sports Master

richardparknation wrote:
    Crazynuck wrote:
    exactly. *IF* there is to be a riot, it should only be a result of a loss.
    Fans should be too drunk out their minds to even start to riot.
    30 GM Commish Dynasty
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Utl, 1G
    C:Savard,Filpulla,Arnott,Ott,Boyd,Weight,Rupp
    LW:Heatley,Morrow,Sullivan,Tambellini,Bissonnette, Pierro-Zabotel
    RW: Hemsky,Backes,Orr,Tikhonov,Artyukhin,Ortmeyer
    D:EJ,Ehrhoff,Hjalmarsson,Babchuk,Commodore
    G: M.A.Fleury,Deslauriers,Koskinen,Monnino