Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sean Avery \"Screening\" Brodeur

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Sean Avery \"Screening\" Brodeur

rookie,

no offense, but they already were down two men.

let\'s read up on the facts guys, please?

- -
    Stats: G A PPP SHP PIM +/- GWG FW (goalie W GAA SV% SHO)
    12Team - H2H - WEEKLY changes -
    *keeper - Hybrid 1yr/Keeper league

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Sean Avery "Screening" Brodeur

No offense, but I\'m pretty sure if you\'re down two men you don\'t just get a prize instead of drawing another penalty. The gist of the argument stands, but I edited my post, for the sake of factual accuracy which is always worthy of pursuit.

edited to avoid my own assholery.
    11 team positional (4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G daily) half-keeper. G/A 1pt, W 2pts, SO 3pts

C: Spezza, Savard, Kopitar, Stastny
    LW: Cammalleri, Kariya, O'Sullivan, Prospal, Brunette,
    RW: Justin Williams, Horton, Doan, Backes, Langenbrunner, Hornqvist
    D: Green, Gonchar, Lidstrom, Enstrom, Grebeshkov, Hedman
    G: Brodeur, Steve Mason, Ward

Dobber Sports Padawan

Crazy: I believe you\'re referring to battles that occurred before the NHL started to become PowerPlay central.

Rookie: It used to be that you were allowed to clear a guy from in front of the net, regardless of possession of the puck. Now all you can do is establish body position and hope that the other guy doesnt move. Part of the reason Roberts retired early the first time was because when he played in Calgary he used to stand in front of the net and get cross checked all day long because he was standing there (see any Calgary -Vancouver game in the early 90\'s). Now when a guy stands in front of the net the opposition is required to set him up with a lazyboy to ensure he\'s comfortable.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Yeah but if you gave Avery a lazyboy you know he\'d just end up peeing on it.

11 team positional (4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G daily) half-keeper. G/A 1pt, W 2pts, SO 3pts

C: Spezza, Savard, Kopitar, Stastny
    LW: Cammalleri, Kariya, O'Sullivan, Prospal, Brunette,
    RW: Justin Williams, Horton, Doan, Backes, Langenbrunner, Hornqvist
    D: Green, Gonchar, Lidstrom, Enstrom, Grebeshkov, Hedman
    G: Brodeur, Steve Mason, Ward

Dobber Sports Master

Default Sean Avery

big_dl wrote:
    Crazy: I believe you\'re referring to battles that occurred before the NHL started to become PowerPlay central.
    DL i was just referring to you talking about old battles.
    30 GM Commish Dynasty
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Utl, 1G
    C:Savard,Filpulla,Arnott,Ott,Boyd,Weight,Rupp
    LW:Heatley,Morrow,Sullivan,Tambellini,Bissonnette, Pierro-Zabotel
    RW: Hemsky,Backes,Orr,Tikhonov,Artyukhin,Ortmeyer
    D:EJ,Ehrhoff,Hjalmarsson,Babchuk,Commodore
    G: M.A.Fleury,Deslauriers,Koskinen,Monnino

Dobber Sports Pro

Avery would never pull that crap with a Pronger or a Hatcher on the ice. I think that is hilarious, but if I was a Devil I would have put my stick through his face and taken the penalty, I would have just made sure he was gone for a more than 2-5 minutes :laugh:

Just further goes with the Rags being in the Devils\' collective heads. Big comeback win on broadway for the diablos last night.
    14 team league - 16 Keepers max 2 goalies - G,A,P,+/-,PPP,SHP,SOG,PIM, FW, W, GAA,SV, SV%, SHO

Use the Schwartz

C: Mike Richards (lw) Henrik Sedin, Strome, Kuznetsov
    RW: Iginla, Voracek, Eriksson (lw), Gagner (c)
    LW: Parise, Nash, Schwartz
    D: Karlsson, Barrie, Hedman
    G: Luongo, Crawford

might dump one of eriksson or gagner to keep Leddy

@Rusty_Pickles Tweet Tweet.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Sean Avery

Crazy: In that case, and I think you\'ll appreciate this as you probably saw them like I did, Murzyn vs Roberts. I think that was the epitomy of matching up your biggest and best power forward vs your biggest and meanest d-man. Murzyn was useless for almost anything else.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Sean Avery

The Comish wrote:
    The Good Sir wrote:

I agree that Avery is very creative for coming up with his own version of \"the screen\". But for all you guys defending Avery\'s actions, think about what the game would look like if it happened on every power play?

Imagine trying to make a save while a guy is waving a stick several inches in front of your face (regardless of which way the blade or stick is turned).

As much as people can say it\'s not written verbatim in the rules, it goes against the integrity of the game. I don\'t believe there is anything in writing specifically prohibiting a player from intentionally shooting the puck at another players head either, but that isn\'t tolerated is it?
    Just to be practical, this kind of action really wouldnt happen much on a regular 5-4 or even a short 5-3. A prolonged 5-3 yes. So lets not ask people to imagine it happening on every powerplay because if it did, the 4 killers would each break the box and take a man and the pp would be negated.

I do agree that this is tough for a goalie but completely legal in terms of standing in front of net and screening the goalie. It\'s like waving a hand in someones face in b-ball.

I don\'t think much for the integrity of the game because that same integrity allowed Elbows Gordie Howe the liberty to mush people\'s mellons. Integrity and hockey rules aren\'t an ideal partner. Sure what he did was classless but its nowhere near as bad as a Downie special or a Samuelsson knee.

The Devils themselves should have gotten Avery back when it was 5 on 5, and he touched the puck. I think that\'s where most of us are coming from.
    Dobberites Unite! 12 Team H2H $$ Keeper League
    C: Malkin, Krejci, Wilson, Schenn
    W: Zetterburg, D Sedin, Mueller, Horton, Benn
    D: Suter, Edler, Myers, Burns
    G: Fleury, Brodeur, S Mason, M Smith
    -- Keep 17 with salary cap

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Sean Avery

If that was really the case the Detroit PP would be completely ineffectual. Holmstrom for all intents and purposes takes himself out of the play on a normal 5-4. He doesnt leave the front of the net as in no position to help any of his teammates out unless they are below the goal line. I dont think it matters whether its a 5-4 or a 5-3 I think its still an effective screen, he\'s still able to leave the front of the nest if the pucks goes down low, as he came close to doing a couple of times during that PP. I dont particularly like arguing against his tactic because I didnt have a problem with it, even though i think it lacked class.

Dobber Sports Master

Default Sean Avery

big_dl wrote:
    Crazy: In that case, and I think you\'ll appreciate this as you probably saw them like I did, Murzyn vs Roberts. I think that was the epitomy of matching up your biggest and best power forward vs your biggest and meanest d-man. Murzyn was useless for almost anything else.
    Murzyn \"the pylon\" was useless but those battles were classic.
    30 GM Commish Dynasty
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Utl, 1G
    C:Savard,Filpulla,Arnott,Ott,Boyd,Weight,Rupp
    LW:Heatley,Morrow,Sullivan,Tambellini,Bissonnette, Pierro-Zabotel
    RW: Hemsky,Backes,Orr,Tikhonov,Artyukhin,Ortmeyer
    D:EJ,Ehrhoff,Hjalmarsson,Babchuk,Commodore
    G: M.A.Fleury,Deslauriers,Koskinen,Monnino

Don\'t know if anyone reported this yet, but the NHL has ruled Avery\'s actions will receive a penalty under UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT.

I can remember a few years back a similar incident with Matthew Barnaby. He was playing with the Rangers at the time.

Rangers are on the PP and Barnaby is parked in front with his back to the play facing the Goalie. The opposition\'s D-man is all over him trying to get him out of there. While fighting off the D-man, Barnaby was basically holding the blade of his stick about 3-6 inches in front of the Goalies eyes.

They showed it on the replay several times and commented on how sneaky and smart of a play it was. He did it very quickly and subtly. It wasn\'t as obvious as Avery\'s antics. No penalty and I\'m not even sure anyone except the Goalie even noticed. Sure its cheap but he didn\'t touch him.

P.S. I play some beer league hockey once a week and one game there was a big scrum in front of the net. I was a little off to the side and just when the shot came from the point I pulled the Barnaby move and put my blade right in front of the Goalies eyes. The shot went in and the Goalie was right pissed at me! :woohoo: \"You can\'t do that!\" he screamed. I just laughed. Haven\'t tried it since.

\"If you\'re not cheating you\'re not trying.\" - Tito Ortiz

Dobber Sports Newbie

Found this posted on HockeyBuzz

-- MEDIA ADVISORY --

INTERPRETATION OF RULE 75 – UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT

NEW YORK/TORONTO (April 14, 2008) -- National Hockey League Senior
    Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell
    today issued the following advisory on the interpretation of Rule 75 -
    Unsportsmanlike Conduct: \"An unsportsmanlike conduct minor penalty (Rule
    75) will be interpreted and applied, effective immediately, to a situation
    when an offensive player positions himself facing the opposition goaltender
    and engages in actions such as waving his arms or stick in front of the
    goaltender\'s face, for the purpose of improperly interfering with and/or
    distracting the goaltender as opposed to positioning himself to try to make
    a play.\"

Dobber Sports Ninja

For a goaltender it\'s like trying to drive on the autobahn while your ******* passenger is waving his hands in your face as you\'re doing 200 km/hr (about 125 mph for our U.S. friends).
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Prodigy

NEW YORK/TORONTO (April 14, 2008) -- National Hockey League Senior
    Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell
    today issued the following advisory on the interpretation of Rule 75 -
    Unsportsmanlike Conduct: \"An unsportsmanlike conduct minor penalty (Rule
    75) will be interpreted and applied, effective immediately, to a situation
    when an offensive player positions himself facing the opposition goaltender
    and engages in actions such as waving his arms or stick in front of the
    goaltender\'s face, for the purpose of improperly interfering with and/or
    distracting the goaltender as opposed to positioning himself to try to make
    a play.\"

And if i\'m not mistaken a further ammendment was added but the wording is still unclear, but it\'s something along the lines of:
    \"Any individual named Sean Avery, seen in his profile pictures as wearing glasses, and followed around the world both live and on television because of his NHL player tenure, is STILL an *******.\"

I guess that means that all the Avery clones coming up in the ranks of \"agitator\" for their respective teams won\'t be able to copy him on yet another thing.
    (learn to swim)(learn to swim)
    (learn to swim)(learn to swim)