Thread: flames v sharks 2nd intermission

Dobber Sports Guru

Default flames v sharks 2nd intermission

i am so angry

all i can say is there better be some even-up calls

Dobber Sports Guru

haha, there we go. these refs are a joke. they\'re practically admitting they were wrong.

Torture

Personally I hate even up calls

Nothing the refs could have done can make up for 12 consecutive minutes of killing penalties (3:30 a 5 on 3!)

At that point the Flames offensive players hardly played any of the second period and were out of the game, and the Flames penalty killers were tired as hell.

I understand that reffing is hard, and it\'s not an easy job. But try to call it right at the start so you don\'t have to make an even up call.
    All I ask for is some consistency. My biggest problem was that game 1 and the first period of game 2 they were letting things go. Then in the second period they started calling everything, but only on the Flames. In the third period they called everything, and made a couple of even-up calls, but by that point it was too late.

In the words of Keenan...

\"I was very upset about the officiating,\" Calgary coach Mike Keenan said. \"I\'ll share those thoughts with the league and with the supervisor of the officials. I can\'t comment on how it affected my players. We had a good first period, and then there was a total imbalance in the second.\"

Dobber Sports Star

Unfortunately there is always going to be some poor officiating in a game of a series or whatever. It\'s inevitable, unfortunately at the start of these playoffs it has fallen onto this series.

Quick question, are the same refs and linesman appointed to work an entire series, or is there some rotating that occurs??
    [color=#008000]24 Team / 3 Tier Roto League
    G|A|+/-|PIM|PPP|SOG|Hits|BS
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1
    C: Tavares, Duchene, JStaal, Marner, Grigorenko, Dubois, Barzal
    LW: Landeskog, Teravainen, Pearson, Wilson, Pulkkinen, Bittner
    RW: PKane, Gaborik, Virtanen, Rantanen, Stewart, Sprong, Chiasson, Vey
    D: OEL, Barrie, Bogosian, Larsson, McNabb, Oduya, Bigras
    G: Bobrovsky, Korpisalo, Hutton, Hellberg

Dobber Sports Master

I believe the same refs and linesman do the entire series.
    30 GM Commish Dynasty
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Utl, 1G
    C:Savard,Filpulla,Arnott,Ott,Boyd,Weight,Rupp
    LW:Heatley,Morrow,Sullivan,Tambellini,Bissonnette, Pierro-Zabotel
    RW: Hemsky,Backes,Orr,Tikhonov,Artyukhin,Ortmeyer
    D:EJ,Ehrhoff,Hjalmarsson,Babchuk,Commodore
    G: M.A.Fleury,Deslauriers,Koskinen,Monnino

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Wilson wasn\'t happy about the way game one was reffed. I think what happened was that Wilson complained to the league about how everything WAS let go in game 1. A tight called game favours the Sharks. Their D are more mobile than the Flames & not as physical.

Boy was there some awful calls (most if not all against the Flames) - the hold on Iginla (or should I say 2 minutes for pushing) was brutal but alot of the others were well deserved.

Dobber Sports Star

I didn\'t see the call on Iggy, but if it\'s anything like the call Scott Hannan got on Rolston in the 2nd period of game 1 between the Avs/Sharks where he pushed Rolston over on his ass with one arm on a 1 on 1 situation and got a holding penalty.

You have to let guys play some defence, pretty soon they\'re going to be calling these NHL games like they call it in the NBA.
    [color=#008000]24 Team / 3 Tier Roto League
    G|A|+/-|PIM|PPP|SOG|Hits|BS
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1
    C: Tavares, Duchene, JStaal, Marner, Grigorenko, Dubois, Barzal
    LW: Landeskog, Teravainen, Pearson, Wilson, Pulkkinen, Bittner
    RW: PKane, Gaborik, Virtanen, Rantanen, Stewart, Sprong, Chiasson, Vey
    D: OEL, Barrie, Bogosian, Larsson, McNabb, Oduya, Bigras
    G: Bobrovsky, Korpisalo, Hutton, Hellberg

Dobber Sports Guru

mapletreemarty wrote:
    I didn\'t see the call on Iggy, but if it\'s anything like the call Scott Hannan got on Rolston in the 2nd period of game 1 between the Avs/Sharks where he pushed Rolston over on his ass with one arm on a 1 on 1 situation and got a holding penalty.

You have to let guys play some defence, pretty soon they\'re going to be calling these NHL games like they call it in the NBA.
    hah, no kidding.

there needs to be a few things looked at:

1. if a guy takes his hand off his stick and trys to check a guy, he gets a holding penalty. if he leaves his hand on his stick and trys to check a guy, he gets a cross checking penalty. what are they supposed to do? hump his leg until get gives up the puck?

2. same thing with the debate about the boarding and hitting from behind calls. since holding and pinning is now a dangerous strategic move, the guys are forced to hit them, which (duh) is gonna create some potential for injury

3. is interfering with the progress of a forechecker who dumps the puck in a penalty or not? consistency is needed badly for this one.

4. the refs need to protect the goalies, since they won\'t let the defencemen do it. kipper had a penalty called against him for holding a sharks player\'s stick as the guy crashed through the crease. if the refs won\'t do anything, and the dmen can\'t do anything, then goalies need to be enabled to protect their space however they choose to do so. HACK THE BONE!

5. i\'m a defenceman myself and have done this many times, but just try explaining it to someone new to the sport:

\"A minor penalty shall be imposed on any player who shall place his stick or any portion of his body in such a manner that it shall cause his opponent to trip and fall.\"

BUT, when a forward has a clear breakaway, and the dman dives and knocks away the puck a split second before taking out the forward\'s legs, no call. if he doesn\'t get the puck first? penalty.

did they get this one straight out of soccer???? a tackle isn\'t a tackle if you hit the ball first? why the hell would that apply to hockey?