Thread: Studs & Duds - Saturday, 3/16

Default Studs & Duds - Saturday, 3/16

STUDS

We're going streaking!

The Pittsburgh Penguins stars took the night off, but the worker bees got the job done, earning the Pens their eighth straight victory. Averaging 4.5 goals/game, a poolie could throw a dart at the Pens roster board and find help from this team. A special tip of the hat to Marc-Andre Fleury for his 23rd career shutout (passing Tom Barrasso). We continually advise that Fleury is great for poolies in W/L leagues, and right now he has won three straight. The pattern for the Pens star net minder at this point is one day off for every three starts. So poolies take note.

Luck of the Irish

The mighty Boston Bruins are just firing on all cylinders, with the perfect blend of offense and sandpaper. That's when they are most dangerous. Rask is the obvious beast, but Khudobin is a more than capable backup, and the frequent rotation in net will only serve to keep Rask fresh down the stretch and deep into the playoffs. Offense comes from across the lines from the likes of Marchand (12 goals), Krejci (17 assists, six points in last five), Bergeron (24 pts/overall, plus-20). Krejci, important in points-only leaues, is developing into a nice roto league option, with solid numbers across the board. Sorry Pens and Canadien fans, but Boston is my pick in the East.

Patrick What's-his-name

Wiercioch (pronounced: Smith) is not seeing top d-man minutes for the Senators, but he's really productive with the time allotted. A goal and assist yesterday afternoon in the Sens win over the Sabres, Wiercioch now has four goals and one assist in his last six games. In need of some d-help w/upside to spare, I scooped Wiercioch off the wire last week. You should too...

Bob's Your Uncle

Seemingly in spite of the Blue Jackets lack of defensive support, Sergei Bobrovsky just laughs off opposing forwards.

I laugh at your silly forwards. Feh!
    From the NY Times, I think...

Anywho, Bob earned a 39-save shutout yesterday, and continues to amaze. Through March he has yet to lose in regulation, and carries a respectable 2.00 GAA/ .932 SV% on the season. Poolies can thank me for Bobrovsky's recent success. He remains deactivated on my bench in the ASKL because I KNOW as soon as I activate him his streak will end. I am willing to sacrifice for my fellow poolies. That's just how I roll.

The Wheelers On The Bus Go Round-and-Round

Blake Wheeler's two goal performance yesterday was his second such output in three games - giving him seven points in his last six. Wheeler remains more important to his team than poolies, so unless you're in need of support due to injuries (or owning Ovechkin ), I would leave Wheeler on the wire. Or sell high to a team in need.

I Can Never Tell Them Apart

A beast in any format - especially roto leagues - Eric Staal continues to impress even when his team is losing. Pots the lone goal for his 'Canes in yesterday's loss, giving him eight points in his last ten. And in four of those games he has earned multiple points. And to repeat, even when his team loses his periphs manage to stay strong. He's in his prime.

These Antibiotics Are Great, My Plekanec Is Clearing Up

Not heralded enough, but vet poolies know full well Tomas Plekanec is a very solid depth forward. The kind of forward fantasy teams need for secondary production to pick up the slack when their Ovechkins....er, stars are slumping. Plek's has five-in-five, and producing at a respectable .71pts and 3.1 shots per game. The addition of his power play points and plus-5 make him worthy in multi cat leagues too (probably more so than points-only). With his Canadiens on a tear right now, I see nothing but good things in store for this forward.

The Breadline is About to Get Longer

If Jake Allen keeps up his winning ways, an already over saturated goalie market is about to get worse. He's won five straight now with periphs of 2.19 GAA and a .92 SV% - and being on a usually defensively sound Hitchcock team those numbers should improve (not that they need to).

Mr. Elliott, Mr. Halak I'd like you to meet Mr. Bernier and Mr. Luongo. Mr. Miller should be around soon enough, so go ahead a start without him.

Honorable Mentions

• Pavelec and the Jets (cool band name) are on a three game winning streak, and four of last five. A little more consistency from week-to-week is needed. For now poolies remain cautiously optimistic.
    • Props to Zetterberg for his two goal performance against the Maroon Nightmares (must be another expansion team).
    • Kyle Clifford pots two. Okay, fine, but those are his only two in his last ten games. His periphs used to carry his relevance in multi-cat leagues, but now even those are underwhelming.
    • The Lightning finally end their at-home winless streak - thanks to two rookies, Tyler Johnson and Ondrej Palat potting their first NHL goals. Unfortunately, the Lightning still sit at 12th overall and are in need of goaltending. Miller for Stamkos? [sigh]
    • The Blackhawks unloaded all over the Dallas Stars like some bukake film (don't google that...trust me on this one). So fears of a slump have been laid to waste.
    • Quick's inconsistent play has opened the door for Bernier who is taking advantage of the opportunity presented. Bernier has played as often, obviously, but his periphs are better than Quick's thus far, and with five wins this month - he's winning.
    • Minnesota Wild had six goals from five different players in their win over the Avalanche. Winning four of last five and averaging 3.6 goals per, poolies in need of reinforcements should look to the Wild's forwards and defence for production. Six players in double-digit points and two more close to that mark, a poolie can find some quick help here. If Backstrom could only improve his win-2/lose-1 pattern of play, poolies could rely on him too.
    • Landeskog registered two points last night and now has four-in-four. Let's hope he finishes this month better than he started it. Can't do any worse...
    • Kyle Turris earned three points yeaterday. Now if he can do that more often and against better teams, he'll be a stud yet.

DUDS

The Kubler-Ross Model

If Tort's post game presser after yesterdays Ranger loss to the Pens was any indication, I'd say he's finally hit Stage-5 (a/k/a "Acceptance"). The Rangers have lost three straight (managing a meager two goals) and four of five. Nash leads this offense-less team with 9 goals - that is not a typo. Don't fret Johnny Boy, I'm sure Lindy is keeping a bar stool warm for ya.

Partisan Hacks

The Washington Capitals leading scorer is Ribeiro. Nothing personal Mike, but....well, 'nuff said.

At Least I Drank Beer

I was at the Sabres game yesterday. Uh-huh.

So Miller stopped 30 of 34, which sounds ok, but the goals (at least two of them) were soft - for a supposedly elite netminder. It used too be that Miller, despite his lack of wins, always maintained strong periphs on which poolies could cling. Now even that notion fails the eyeball test - 2.87 GAA/ .915SV% and trending downward. Poolies are advised to bench this tender in all formats until he is traded (oops, did I say that out loud?)

Raking in the Spring?!?

Oh how the mighty have fallen. The once unbeatable and formidable goalie tandem of Scrivens and Remier have now lost five straight (including yesterday). Poolies feel so...so...used...mislead and even taken adavantage of like some cheap hussie.

Skiing Anyone?

Poolies in need of d-support or goalie help should not be expeting helps from the Colorado Avalanche. Losing three straight and allowing an average of five goals per game is why.

Melting Ice

If not for Huberdeau, Shore and Parros' mustache would anyone care about the Florida Panthers? They have lost nine of last ten and are desperate for a goalie so they trade for Marc Andre Gragnani...er, T.J. Brennan. His lack of a defensive skill set is just what the doctor ordered for this troubled team.

...and yes, I am aware he scored a goal.

Call 9-1-1

Someone kidnapped the Dallas Stars team and replaced them with a bar league. Four straight losses, and no offense in sight.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Ninja

Damn Bomm, awesome write up. Definitely one of the best this year, good work!

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Honestly, this write up is AWESOME!! Great job Bomm, you clearly are the man..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Expert

That was awesome Bomm!!

I actually coached and taught Wiercioch back her in Maple Ridge for a few years. He's feeling super confident right now, he logged almost 19 min yesterday and leads the Sens in PP points (I know there are some major studs missing, but still.....) The kid has tons of poise, hockey sense, and he has a bomb for a shot.

Keep up the great work!
    12 -Team Yahoo, Points Pool, Keeper (Since 1995): G(1), A(1), PPG(1), SHG(1) GWG(1), W(2), SHO(3). Protect 13 each season.

C (4): Hayes, Bonino, White, Bozak
    LW (4): Aho, Huberdeau, K Connor, Gourde
    RW (4): Perry, Boeser, Tuch, Zucker
    F (1):Labanc
    D (4): Barrie, Theodore, Faulk, Shattenkirk
    G (1): Lehner

Bench: (C) Kerfoot, (RW) Silfverberg, (LW) Bertuzzi (D) Q Hughes, R Murray, D'Angelo (G) Demko, Markstrom,

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Awesome stuff as usual.
    H2H Daily 12 Team League, 7 Keepers
    Start 3C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 4D, 2G
    G, A, +/-, SOG, PPP, PIM, HIT, BLK, W, L, GAA, SV%, SHO

2014-15 Champion

C- Tavares, Krejci, Trocheck
    LW- Hall, Lee, Guentzel (C), Lucic, Skinner, Marchessault (C)
    RW- Lindholm (C), Radulov, Nylander (C), Arvidsson,
    D- Weber, Provorov, Klingberg, Hamilton
    G- Bishop, Lehner, Mrazek

Farm: Zacha, Bjork

Dobber Sports Icon

I love this, great write up...

Poolies in need of d-support or goalie help should not be expeting helps from the Colorado Avalanche. Losing three straight and allowing an average of five goals per game is why.
    The biggest reason for this is that I traded for Varlamov about 3 games ago. Maybe I should have warned everyone.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Guys, thanks so much for the feedback...much appreciated. And sorry for the typos. i try to proof it but after spending three hours going through twelve games, 24 teams and countless players, my dear, sweet lovable wife likes it if I get some shit done around the house. Bless her heart...

So...thanks much, and if anyone has anything to add feel free. I'm sure I missed a player or two.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Wizard

Well done, Bomm. Hard act to follow, buddy.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I actually stopped myself...went and poured a coffee and sat back to read this! And I was not disappointed. Quite the opposite actually. Now I need to change my shirt and nurse these coffee burns.

*Note to self...don't drink coffee when Reading Bom's Studs and Duds...it could rocket out your nose".

INformative and frick'n hillarious! Great piece.