Thread: A Draft Worthy of Respect

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default A Draft Worthy of Respect

I admit I’m fascinated with the NHL Entry Drafts of the past. I like to go back to different years and see where players were taken and how they’ve done since being drafted. Looking at the 2003 NHL Entry Draft, I was overwhelmed by the sheer number of what looks to be bona-fide NHL players to come out of this draft. The lack of potential “busts” in the first round is amazing. The only first rounder to not yet play an NHL game is the Rangers Hugh Jessiman. Both Jessiman and the Kings Brian Boyle, whose first taste of the NHL came earlier this year (five points in eight games), may fall under the category of big players taking longer to develop.

Okay so there was no Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Thornton, Lecavalier, etc, in this draft, but it more than makes up for the lack of a superstar with incredible depth throughout. Already, 18 players have over 200 NHL games under their belts.

Other first-rounders who are touch and go right now as NHL regulars include Eric Fehr, Marc-Antoine Pouliot, Anthony Stewart, Jeff Tambellini and Shawn Belle. That’s only seven out of 30 players that aren’t NHL regulars as of this year. Here’s the complete first round in order of selection (GP-Pts as of 20 Mar 08):

1-Marc-Andre Fleury Pit (166gp, 71W, 10 SO, 3.03, .903)
    2-Eric Staal Car (321-276)
    3-Nathan Horton Fla (283-187)
    4-Nikolai Zherdev Clb (275-178)
    5-Thomas Vanek Buf (237-188)
    6-Milan Michalek SJ (232-151)
    7-Ryan Suter Nas (222-68)
    8-Braydon Coburn Atl (128-46)
    9-Dion Phaneuf Cal (235-152)
    10-Andrei Kostitsyn Mon (105-62)
    11-Jeff Carter Phi (217-127)
    12-Hugh Jessiman NYR (0-0)
    13-Dustin Brown LA (262-133)
    14-Brent Seabrook Chi (224-83)
    15-Robert Nilsson NYI (121-58)
    16-Steve Bernier SJ (169-89)
    17-Zach Parise NJ (235-155)
    18-Eric Fehr Was (41-9)
    19-Ryan Getzlaf Ana (212-174)
    20-Brent Burns Min (259-88)
    21-Mark Stuart Bos (106-10)
    22-Marc-Antoine Pouliot Edm (71-16)
    23-Ryan Kesler Van (230-78)
    24-Mike Richards Phi (203-134)
    25-Anthony Stewart Fla (46-5)
    26-Brian Boyle LA (8-5)
    27-Jeff Tambellini LA (75-16)
    28-Corey Perry Ana (208-123)
    29-Patrick Eaves Ott (168-76)
    30-Shawn Belle Stl (9-1)

It’s not only the first round that is impressive, it’s the potential of some of the players taken in later rounds. Second round picks included Patrice Bergeron (239-189), Matt Carle (148-62), Shea Weber (154-69) and Patrick O’Sullivan (119-66). If you like penalty minutes, Daniel Carcillo (68-24, 373 PiM) and Zack Stortini (88-12, 294 PiM) were third round selections. Round five has some promise with Lee Stempniak (212-114) and Brad Richardson (136-40). Round seven included the likes of Nathan Paetsch (118-33) and Joe Pavelski (120-60). Round eight can boast three NHL players in Tobias Enstrom (76-37), Dustin Byfuglien (95-41) and Shane O’Brien (154-36). Montreal took Jan Halak (21gp, 12W, 3 SO, 2.64, .914) in the ninth round, 271st overall.

As for reasons why this draft class is so remarkable? This is the fourth season in the NHL for many of these players, a traditional breakout year. I’ve also heard the theory that due to the lock-out in 2004-05, the players gained a year of experience in the minors without the distractions of call-ups. That could be part of the reason or it could just be that this was an exceptional draft year.

Going back to the 2002 or 2001 drafts, they should both be better due to having more time to develop.

1-Rick Nash Clb
    2-Kari Lehtonen Atl
    3-Jay Bouwmeester Fla
    4-Joni Pitkanen Phi
    5-Ryan Whitney Pit
    6-Scottie Upshall Nsh
    7-Joffrey Lupul Ana
    8-Pierre-Marc Bouchard Min
    9-Petr Taticek Fla
    10-Eric Nystrom Cal
    11-Keith Ballard Buf
    12-Steve Eminger Was
    13-Alexander Semin
    14-Chris Higgins Mon
    15-Jesse Niinimaki Edm
    16-Jakub Klepis Ott
    17-Boyd Gordon Was
    18-Denis Grebeshkov LA
    19-Jakub Koreis Pho
    20-Daniel Paille Buf
    21-Anton Babchuk Chi
    22-Sean Bergenheim NYI
    23-Ben Eager Pho
    24-Alexander Steen Tor
    25-Cam Ward Car
    26-Martin Vagner Dal
    27-Mike Morris SJ
    28-Jonas Johansson Col
    29-Hannu Toivonen Bos
    30-Jim Slater Atl

Other 2002 Notables:
    36-Jarret Stoll
    54-Duncan Keith
    57-Matt Stajan
    58-Jiri Hudler
    90-Matthew Lombardi
    95-Valtteri Filppula
    129-Tom Gilbert
    183-Paul Ranger
    213-Fredrik Norrena
    240-Petr Prucha
    241-Dennis Wideman

1-Ilya Kovalchuk Atl
    2-Jason Spezza Ott
    3-Alexandr Svitov TB
    4-Stephen Weiss Fla
    5-Stanislav Chistov Ana
    6-Mikko Koivu Min
    7-Mike Komisarek Mon
    8-Pascal Leclaire Clb
    9-Tuomo Ruutu Chi
    10-Dan Blackburn NYR
    11-Fredrik Sjostrom Pho
    12-Dan Hamhuis Nsh
    13-Ales Hemsky Edm
    14-Chuck Kobasew Cal
    15-Igor Knyazev Car
    16-R.J. Umberger Van
    17-Carlo Colaiacovo Tor
    18-Jens Karlsson LA
    19-Shaone Morrisonn Bos
    20-Marcel Goc SJ
    21-Colby Armstrong Pit
    22-Jiri Novotny Buf
    23-Tim Gleason Ott
    24-Lukas Krajicek Fla
    25-Alexander Perezhogin Mon
    26-Jason Bacashihua Dal
    27-Jeff Woywitka Phi
    28-Adrian Foster NJ
    29-Adam Munro Chi
    30-Dave Steckel LA

Other 2001 Notables:
    32-Derek Roy
    49-Mike Cammalleri
    55-Jason Pominville
    63-Peter Budaj
    71-Tomas Plekanec
    95-Patrick Sharp
    99-Ray Emery
    151-Kevin Bieksa
    176-Marek Zidlicky
    214-Cristobal Huet
    227-Marek Svatos
    232-Martin Gerber
    253-Petr Cajanek

If you had to pick a fantasy team from only one of these draft years (2001-2003), which one would you choose?

Thanks for reading this far down. It says here that when all is said and done, this draft will go down as one of the best in recent NHL history.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Ninja

It really is disgusting how good of a draft year 2003 was. To see that almost every single player in the first round is an NHLer and that a good majority are impact players is remarkable.

You could make a scary NHL team JUST out of guys drafted in 2003 and they would be able to compete NOW!

Dobber Sports Guru

the theory that the lockout year helping the 2003 class with an extra development year is interesting. i doubt theres any way to prove that huh?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yeah the extra year of development SHOULD apply to the 2002 and 2001 class as well. Wasn\'t my theory, just floating what I\'ve heard. I think it was just a very deep draft.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Veteran

Commish, love your articles.... but my question is, are any Dmen going to have an outcoiming paty like Green(2004) or Burns? Coburn and Suter are the 2 that I\'m most curious about.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Thanks plug, sorry about being so late on this reply - I was on vaction last week!

To answer your question - I don\'t see Coburn with a much higher point upside than what he\'s given us this season. I could see Suter having a nice increase in his points totals next season to maybe 40-45.

Two other young defensemen who could bust out points wise next season are the Sabres Andrej Sekera and the \'Hawks Cam Barker.

Once the Leafs management is able to move either Kaberle or McCabe out of Toronto, Anton Stralman has intriguing upside.

I like Chris Campoli to show a nice increase in points next season as \"the man\" on the point.

I really like Jack Johnson in LA, but he\'s really two or three years away from break out numbers offensively. Once Rob Blake is out of the picture and the kid realizes he can play in this league, he\'s going to be a keeper.

Hope that helps!

Dobber Sports Veteran

I\'m really bad at saying thanks. Comish, just doing it now and saying thanks for your opinions!.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

just checked this thread out....

How great a feeling it is to see post lockout draft picks by NYR be absolute shit.

Jessiman...montoya...blackburn....im actually happy we got Sjostrom
    2014-15 - 12TM ESPN H2H - G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SHG,GWG,Hat,Hit,Blk - W,GA,SV,SHO

F: Rick Nash, Stepan, Hornqvist, Gaborik, Voracek, Kesler, Vrbata, Versteeg
    D: E. Karlsson, Josi, Pietrangelo
    G: Lundqvist(IR), Holtby.

Dobber Sports Guru

to be fair, dan blackburn would have been a real nice goalie for you guys. i saw him stonewall the hitmen in the WHL when he played for Kootenay and he was just stellar.

just a freak accident that resulted in nerve damage on his glove hand. remember when he tried to make a comeback using a blocker on both hands?

Im most interested in these two

8-Braydon Coburn Atl (128-46)
    9-Dion Phaneuf Cal (235-152)

I wonder if Calgary WAS disappointed the hometown D-Man didnt make it to #9, and they had to draft the kid from Edmonton!! Then, how do they feel now about it?
    Blue Line Club Hockey League $ Keeper - 14 Teams (G,A,+/-,SOG,Hits,W,GAA,Sv%, SO)
    Keepers - Duchene, Ovechkin, Kessel, Stewart. Letang, Karlsson, Rask
    Prospects - Hall, Fowler, Bernier, Huberdeau,

Power Play Hockey League $ Keeper - 14 Teams (G,A,+/-,SOG,Hits,W,GAA,Sv%, SO)
    Keepers - Toews, Parise, Semin, Letang, Kessel, Fowler, Niemi, Pavelec
    Prospects - Landeskog, Gerbe, Lindback, Burmistrov

Dobber Sports Guru

don\'t kid yourself flexraid

dion was in red deer, being coached by two sutters. we will probably never see darryl sutter crack a smile that big ever again... or at least until we win the cup.

Dobber Sports Ninja

ultrawhiteness wrote:
    don\'t kid yourself flexraid

dion was in red deer, being coached by two sutters. we will probably never see darryl sutter crack a smile that big ever again... or at least until we win the cup.
    So then no, not ever again...

Im relatively new to this hockey stuff, so I am learning as I go along, but thats a good piece to know. Ive always wondered about that.
    Blue Line Club Hockey League $ Keeper - 14 Teams (G,A,+/-,SOG,Hits,W,GAA,Sv%, SO)
    Keepers - Duchene, Ovechkin, Kessel, Stewart. Letang, Karlsson, Rask
    Prospects - Hall, Fowler, Bernier, Huberdeau,

Power Play Hockey League $ Keeper - 14 Teams (G,A,+/-,SOG,Hits,W,GAA,Sv%, SO)
    Keepers - Toews, Parise, Semin, Letang, Kessel, Fowler, Niemi, Pavelec
    Prospects - Landeskog, Gerbe, Lindback, Burmistrov