Thread: D keeper situation

Dobber Sports Master

Default D keeper situation

I started the year with Gonchar, Visnovsky, Bergeron and Liles and thought wow I did well. Bergerone did not continue where he left off the year before, liles no clue what happened there and Visnovsky has not been the same.

I ended up dropping Liles and bergeron and picking up Chara and Roszival. Traded Gonchar and Chara for Green, Rafalski and a 1st rd prospect pick in a 15 player deal.

So now I have Pronger, Rafalski, Visnovsky and Green.
    I was taking a look at Dobber\'s top 100 D list and my 4 D are ranked in the top 15. Should I make a move to improve my D even more?

The following D are untouchable:
    Lidstrom, Gonchar, EJ, Phaneuf, Campbell, R.Whitney, Jovo, JJ, Markov, Letang

Guys that I may have a chance going after are:
    T.Kaberle, Redden, Streit, Enstrom, Zidlicky, J-Bo, Coburn, Zubov, Corvo.
    Are any of these guys worth a try to pick up? I don\'t view any of them as an upgrade but Corvo recent streak sparked my interest.

Thx in advance for any input.
    30 GM Commish Dynasty
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Utl, 1G
    C:Savard,Filpulla,Arnott,Ott,Boyd,Weight,Rupp
    LW:Heatley,Morrow,Sullivan,Tambellini,Bissonnette, Pierro-Zabotel
    RW: Hemsky,Backes,Orr,Tikhonov,Artyukhin,Ortmeyer
    D:EJ,Ehrhoff,Hjalmarsson,Babchuk,Commodore
    G: M.A.Fleury,Deslauriers,Koskinen,Monnino

Dobber Sports Guru

no, i like your guys the way they are now crazy

you don\'t want to take the risk that corvo pulls a bergeron on you next year

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I don\'t think any of those guys are much (if any) of an upgrade over the 4 you already have.

Zubov might be an upgrade but only for next year. Guys like Enstrom, Redden, Streit, Corvo might outproduce one of your 4 next year but they are also much more likely to bomb.

Of the bunch I like T. Kaberle (since your league is points-only), but it would be a sideways (or slightly downward) move. So only do it if you\'re upgrading somwhere else.

I really like your 4 because they\'re pretty much sure things. So unless you\'re actively trying to get younger, or you like to play it risky, I\'d stand pat.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I like your D a lot and technically your worst D is Visnovsky and I really do think this is just an off year for him. He\'s been pretty consistent (from what I remember) up until this year and I see the Kings shocking a lot of people next year. If you can get fair value for him, great, if not I\'d keep him. The only 2 guys I like from the available list is J-Bo (off year but I think we forget how young he is) caues I think this guy is going to be a STUD!!!! The other guy is Corvo just cause from what I read on him from this guy Dobber.
    If he can keep this up then he\'ll be a steal. Other than those two I wouldn\'t give up much else for anything else that\'s available. You\'re D is really good! Rafalski is in Detroit for a while playing with Lidstrom so I wouldn\'t touch him and Green well, we all know about him and how he should perform on the Caps.
    Pronger is great but I notice your pool only counts points so you lose out on his Pims but he\'s still on the best team in the league (imo). If you can get a superstar for him then maybe trade him and then go after Kaberle but ONLY if you can get OVER payment for Pronger.

Hope that helps.

Dobber Sports Master

No i\'m looking for the sure thing. I have two 1st round picks in the prospect draft this summer and will it being a deep D draft i\'ll draft my young D at that point. I\'m looking to keep on winning for the next few years.

Zubov\'s injuries scare me. I don\'t have an IR so I dont like taking risks on injured players. Rafalski is the guy that worries me.

I\'m happy with who I have but like to hear others opinions for some confirmation.
    30 GM Commish Dynasty

Dobber Sports Pro

Stick with what you have. All your DMen are Good to Great points producers and you have a nice mix of ages. No reason to tinker with a solid lineup.
    6Team/Points Only H2H Keep: 37+3goalies Start: 13F/6D/2G
    FWD = G(2), A(1), PP/SH(+1), GW(+2), SHOG(1)
    DEF = G(3), A(2), PP/SH(+1), GW(+2), SHOG(1)
    GOAL = W(3), OTL(1), SO(+2), SV(.10)

FOR: Malkin Ovechkin Kessel Stepan Gaborik Zetterberg Carter Vanek Pacioretty Duchene Skinner Lupul Hornqvist Perron Semin Okposo Byfuglien Granlund Bennett Strome Bjugstad Nichushkin Yakupov Galchenyuk Grigorenko Kuznetsov Kucherov Etem Burakovsky
    D: Letang Goligoski Kronwall Voynov JustinSchultz Hedman RyanMurphy AdamLarsson Pulock Sproul
    G: Lundqvist Lehtonen Schneider

Dobber Sports Master

capslover8 wrote:
    I like your D a lot and technically your worst D is Visnovsky and I really do think this is just an off year for him. He\'s been pretty consistent (from what I remember) up until this year and I see the Kings shocking a lot of people next year. If you can get fair value for him, great, if not I\'d keep him. The only 2 guys I like from the available list is J-Bo (off year but I think we forget how young he is) caues I think this guy is going to be a STUD!!!! The other guy is Corvo just cause from what I read on him from this guy Dobber.
    If he can keep this up then he\'ll be a steal. Other than those two I wouldn\'t give up much else for anything else that\'s available. You\'re D is really good! Rafalski is in Detroit for a while playing with Lidstrom so I wouldn\'t touch him and Green well, we all know about him and how he should perform on the Caps.
    Pronger is great but I notice your pool only counts points so you lose out on his Pims but he\'s still on the best team in the league (imo). If you can get a superstar for him then maybe trade him and then go after Kaberle but ONLY if you can get OVER payment for Pronger.

Hope that helps.

I\'m so happy to own Visnovsky and he\'s flying under the radar. I can afford to lose some pts from him next year and cash in when the Kings explode offensively. JJ, Vis, Kopitar, Brown and O\'sully gonna be a sweet PP.
    30 GM Commish Dynasty

Dobber Sports Giant

I have to go with the other guys here. Definitely, stick with what you have. Rafalski is better than any of the guys you listed imo.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Keep the guys you have. Your worst defenseman (Visnovsky) is having a bad season and is normally one of the top scoring defensemen in the league. Any kind of trade you make would probably not be worth the trouble of an upgrade or are too inconsistent to be considered top defensemen.

If anything, you could try to trade 1 or 2 defensemen for some help at forward or goaltending. Each season, there are usually a couple of defensemen who come from nowhere to produce solid fantasy points.

Dobber Sports Expert

I dont like taking risks on injured players. Rafalski is the guy that worries me.
    I would not worry. Even with injuries, on Detroit, Rafalski should be good for 45 - 50. Without injuries, 60 and up.
    13 team Keeper, top 8F, 4D and 2G count. 1pt G/A, 2pt W/SO.
    Protect up to 500 points in a full season
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers:

F: Draisaitl, Thompson, Thomas, Zuccarello, Konecny, Marchessault Ehlers, O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Perron, Coronato, Seguin, Atkinson, Rossi, Michkov
    D: Q Fox, Sergachev, Dobson, York, Hutson
    G: Vasilevsky, Jarry, Levi

Dobber Sports Master

Quagmire wrote:
    Keep the guys you have. Your worst defenseman (Visnovsky) is having a bad season and is normally one of the top scoring defensemen in the league. Any kind of trade you make would probably not be worth the trouble of an upgrade or are too inconsistent to be considered top defensemen.

If anything, you could try to trade 1 or 2 defensemen for some help at forward or goaltending. Each season, there are usually a couple of defensemen who come from nowhere to produce solid fantasy points.
    My forwards are solid and the reason why i\'m in first by a large margin. But I will need to address my goalie situation in the offseason.

Glad to hear my D are in good shape. One less thing to worry about.

Thx everyone for their input.
    30 GM Commish Dynasty

Dobber Sports Master

I think your D is okay, but not great. There is definitely room for improvement. Vis may be having an off year or this may be his new standard... Rafalski has to start slowing down sometime and next year might be the year. You mentioned that you were looking for sure things, but IMO, Vis and to a lesser degree, Rafalski are question marks.

I would rather have Kaberle on my team than Vis. Kaberle is younger and not coming off a terrible year. There is absolutely no question about his fantasy ability. Where as with Vis, you have this thing in the back of your mind saying he might actually suck. That thing in the back of your mind is prolly wrong, but it is still there...

Now, I am in no way saying Rafalski is old, but he is certainly older than Kaberle. Kaberle is 30 and hitting his fantasy prime. Rafalski is 34 and growing closer to the end of his prime years. (Lidstrom is a freak of nature and should not be used as a comparison...)

If you go for Kaberle using Vis as bait, you might have to put more into the pot to get the deal done. If you use Rafalski on the other hand, he might be willing to take it straight up. I would see this as a win for you. Kaberle is not a big downgrade from Rafalski.

Out of the other guys you mentioned in the \"possible\" list, I dont see anyone making your team.