Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: $50,000 First Place - 5th Overall Selection

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by sakic19 View Post

The draft is Friday at a Hall in Montreal. Podium style drafting. I will let everyone know who I draft. Wish I could take some of you with me for some advice.
    Can you give the address so I can come and watch? :P

50K, that's crazy. I'm guessing the draft is going one heck of an event!

Dobber Sports Genius

Remember this is a short season , some fellas are rusty , others have been playing European style on the big ice , travel & staying in unfamiliar territory but , 3 guys from the same team have been playing together close to home , on NHL size ice surfaces , having fun together "gelling" , I'd look closely at Jordan Eberle if I were you.You like to play "big' , then go "big" or stay home.
    Ovie is being moved around by Oates , Kesler is out , Booth is out , Luongo is likely on the move , things aren't so "happy , happy" in Vancouver.
    Just my opinion but , think about it look at his 3's last year , now he'll have Yakapov there as well!
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by smoothfun View Post
    Remember this is a short season , some fellas are rusty , others have been playing European style on the big ice , travel & staying in unfamiliar territory but , 3 guys from the same team have been playing together close to home , on NHL size ice surfaces , having fun together "gelling" , I'd look closely at Jordan Eberle if I were you.You like to play "big' , then go "big" or stay home.
    Ovie is being moved around by Oates , Kesler is out , Booth is out , Luongo is likely on the move , things aren't so "happy , happy" in Vancouver.
    Just my opinion but , think about it look at his 3's last year , now he'll have Yakapov there as well!
    I like this post. This season moreso, but really any season, even the consensus top 5 guys are a crap shoot.

Ovechkin is the most stereotypical 'thinking inside of the box' move I can conceive of.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Pro

I would not be surprised if Crosby is there for the 5th pick, depending on your competitors' preferences. Do you know the other managers' biases?

Do you need a Turtle? I'm more of an Eric but I can fill either role in your entourage. Hell I'd make an awesome Ari as well, but I do think I could afford his legal fees or stress

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    I'll go with H. Sedin. He's led the league the last 3 years in assists, and never gets injured. Tavares or Giroux may outpoint him by a few points, but he is the safest pick IMO. And for a pool with so much at stake, I'll play it safe and sacrifice 3-7 points for safety.
    And that's exactly the kind of thinking that will safely secure you a middle-of-the-pack finish.

There will be guys who take risks and blow their brains out, and there will be guys who take risks and hit the home run. In either case, both those guys have a shot at winning, which is more than I can say for the strategy you're suggesting.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    And that's exactly the kind of thinking that will safely secure you a middle-of-the-pack finish.

There will be guys who take risks and blow their brains out, and there will be guys who take risks and hit the home run. In either case, both those guys have a shot at winning, which is more than I can say for the strategy you're suggesting.

You're absolutely right. You have to take risks and hit the home run, but you never take risks in the first couple rounds.

And as mentioned, even the 'pros' in Vegas have Sedin over Tavares and within 5 points of Giroux.

Not saying taking Giroux or Tavares would be a risk, but I feel the safer play is Sedin. These guys will probably finish within 10 points of each other anyways. Theres really no wrong answer.

You have a whole draft to hit the home run, don't swing in the first round.

Dobber Sports Ace

Ross the Boss - No chance Crosby falls to fifth, if he does I will win this pool. Also I actually LOL'd at your Entourage comment.

Blayze - I always liked his opinion and am glad he agrees with me on this one.

I just can't wait for my first pick to be done because technically it will be my "easiest" pick. When round 10-12 come around, that's when I need to be most prepared.

I was offered this spot this year last minute and only managed one partner. Next year I think I'll be hiring a avid writer on Dobber who's able to come to the draft in Montreal.

With a 100K first place prize, I'm sure I can convince one of you guys to make the trip.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by sakic19 View Post
    I was offered this spot this year last minute and only managed one partner. Next year I think I'll be hiring a avid writer on Dobber who's able to come to the draft in Montreal.

With a 100K first place prize, I'm sure I can convince one of you guys to make the trip.
    damn, i'll come if i'm back in canada next year

Not a writer, but i win fantasy hockey pools ... 7/14 overall, 9/14 top 3 finish

http://profiles.sports.yahoo.com/use...t=year&order=1
    Last edited by cdubb; April 28, 2013 at 10:51 PM.
    Semi-retired

Dobber Sports Genius

Eberle , 78 games , 76pts. , 180 shots on net , average 17+mins of ice time , 22yrs. old , not a "teenie" any more.
    If it wasn't a short season I'd strongly agree with the others but , this is no regular season.
    You have to adjust your thinking/stratergy accordingly.
    Good luck , if Eberle does out-pt. the others I'll accept your offer for next yrs. draft!
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I have been waiting all season for an update...

Who did you take? How did you do?

Dobber Sports Genius

Yeah fill us in , please!