Page 9 of 105 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 59 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last 5 movies you've watched

Dobber Sports Genius

Olympus has fallen. 3.5/5 Good action flick. Think about the movie Under Siege. Replace war ship with the white house and omit the stripper leaping out of a cake. Similar premise.

42. 3.5/5 Little too Disney-ish for me. Liked Harrison Ford's performance. Wanted a little more from this movie. CGI baseball audiences and ball parks were cheesy.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Call of Doughty View Post
    Olympus has fallen. 3.5/5 Good action flick. Think about the movie Under Siege. Replace war ship with the white house and omit the stripper leaping out of a cake. Similar premise.
    But... without Erika Eleniak jumping out of the cake, why would anybody watch Under Siege?

Rylant

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    But... without Erika Eleniak jumping out of the cake, why would anybody watch Under Siege?

Rylant
    Gary Busey dressing as a woman doesn't do it for you?
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    Gary Busey dressing as a woman doesn't do it for you?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Watched the first part of a 3 part German Series called Generation War. 3 - 90 minute shows - sort of a Band of Brothers, but focusing on 5 young Germans in early 1941 and onwards.

Watch it. It's incredible, and just further cements the horrific nature of everything, on all sides, that went on in the war. I have no doubt that the next 2 parts will be equally powerful.

The sense of helplessness for folks on the German side who are sucked into it all, the "allure" of Nazi ideology, the destruction of any concepts of good/evil etc. It's all there.

Dobber Sports Master

Will It Fit 12:
    Terrible movie. Main plot had a couple of gaping holes in it.
    Dialogue was stilted and poorly delivered and the action scenes were marred by bad camera work.
    Score 0.5/5
    Spoiler alert: Yes, yes it will.

I'm sorry, I didn't sleep well and am stuck at work... bleh
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Pro

Ghost Storm: 8/10 because despite being an awful movie by any standard, it was kind of hilariously bad, and was possibly the best worst rip-off of The Fog I've ever seen.

Before Sunrise: 9/10 Like the previous two installments, it was incredible. Not the most traditional sort of film, but the writing was great as usual, and the characters are just as enjoyable as they've always been.

This Is The End: 5/10 Comedy that had some bright spots at the start and the end, but was mostly just frustrating and full of filler. Two friends of mine dragged eme to see it after having seen it twice and found it hysterically funny, which let me hope it would have been good enough. Wasted my scene points. :\
    ZFHL
    ------------
    Ovechkin-Couture-Kovalchuk
    Benn-Ott-Eriksson
    Halischuk-Berglund-S.Thornton
    Bowman-Legwand-Mitchell
    Faulk-Orlov
    Martin-Y.Weber
    Wilson-Smid
    Niemi

Butler,Horak,Nodl,Omark,Bartulis, Carson,Demers,Staios,Garon,Schneider

PROSPECTS
    Nyquist,Bennett,Guptill,Haula,Knight, Kristo,Ranford,Rieder,Sundher,Barberio
    Dumoulin,Deslauriers,Janosik,Klefbom
    Ness,Sproul,Vatanen,Poulin

Dobber Sports Legend

The last five...

1. Mud (9/10) - Wonderful story with masterful casting. McConaughey was a fantastic protagonist and Tye Sheridan delivered an incredible performance, a la River Phoenix in Stand By Me. Deep, powerful and character-driven. This is one of the best movies I've seen in a while, definitely the best since Silver Linings Playbook.

2. Despicable Me 2 (7.5/10) - Hysterical. Who said this movie was for kids?! I found myself laughing a lot and left the theater with a huge smile. Watching this made me feel like a kid again - huddled in my room sneaking through the Truly Tasteless Joke books. Superb comic relief.

3. Red 2 (6.5/10) - A cool movie for a night out with the wife. We took it in at Movie Tavern so having a few brews with it was fitting. John Malkovich is still one of the most brilliant men in the biz and Hopkins was terrific. The movie was fun, just like the original Red, but it's definitely a wait for DVD.

4. Won't Back Down (5/10) - I was a bit disappointed in this one to tell you the truth. I adore both Maggie G. and Viola Davis so I wanted to give this flick a whirl but I was unimpressed. The premise offered hope of a quality film driven by pure emotion but it dipped. Sure, Maggie waved her magic wand a little throughout but she wasn't nearly as spectacular as she was in Sherrybaby and Secretary (both great).

5. Django Unchained (9.5/10) - My 2nd favorite Tarantino film to date, behind Inglourious Basterds. Yes, I loved Django more than Pulp (I know, blasphemy, right?!) The film was a masterpiece IMO. Writing, casting, acting, direction, blocking, cinematography were all top-end. The nuance was excellent, down to the spring-wobbling tooth atop Christoph Waltz' dentist wagon. Bravo to Leo.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^Thanks for this list fung.
    I'll have to put Mud on my list.

I actually just watched Django Unchained and I absolutely loved it.
    Completely agree with you. The movie is on par with Pulp Fiction. Pulp Fiction will always be iconic because of its timing (so different from movies at that time). But, if you put all movies in a timeless bubble... they'd be very comparable as overall enjoyment, story, characters - the whole kit-and-kaboodle.

Thumbs up on those reviews.

Another for me that I watched recently:
    Perks of Being a Wallflower (4/5): Good movie. I love high school movies, especially with dysfunctional kids/families. I thought the actors/actresses were pretty good. Good, entertaining movie.
    Last edited by Pengwin7; July 30, 2013 at 10:32 AM.

Dobber Sports Legend

I heard Perks was solid - gonna check that out! Yeah, Mud is the real deal.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

The Wolverine

Watched the first half hour of the Book of Eli and turned it off - awful.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    The last five...

1. Mud (9/10) - Wonderful story with masterful casting. McConaughey was a fantastic protagonist and Tye Sheridan delivered an incredible performance, a la River Phoenix in Stand By Me. Deep, powerful and character-driven. This is one of the best movies I've seen in a while, definitely the best since Silver Linings Playbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7;1170581
    [B
    Perks of Being a Wallflower[/B] (4/5): Good movie. I love high school movies, especially with dysfunctional kids/families. I thought the actors/actresses were pretty good. Good, entertaining movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Watched the first half hour of the Book of Eli and turned it off - awful.
    Mud and The Perks are now on my short list. Both look very good. Thanks boys.

I made it 10 mins through Book of, before I flicked the switch.

I watched "Best in Show" (2000). Quirky, yet funny movie about a prestigious dog show in Philly. 8/10.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Perks of Being a Wallflower (4/5): Good movie. I love high school movies, especially with dysfunctional kids/families. I thought the actors/actresses were pretty good. Good, entertaining movie.
    Did you ever read the book for that one? One of my all-time favourites. Really quick read too and interesting delivery method having the whole story told through letters.

I didn't love the movie because I really have a tough time going from print to screen but Emma Watson steals my heart and she kept me engaged throughout the movie. Without her, I'd call it a flop but only because I hate going print to screen.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Banned

The last 2 movies that I watched were documentaries and both were very good.

Touching the Void (2004) is an old one, but is a terrific story of a mountain climbing adventure of two friends in the Andes that goes horribly wrong. A real-life horror story that will chill you to the bone. I saw this one in the theatres back in the day, but I watched it on Netflix the other day for those with the service...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxLcRNPptZI

The House I Live In (2012) examines America's war on drugs... Lots of hype about The Wire in the TV section (and deservedly so - best production in the history of television) but if you don't have 60+ hours to get the picture, this documentary wraps it up nicely in a tight little ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0atL1HSwi8