Page 42 of 105 FirstFirst ... 32 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 52 92 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last 5 movies you've watched

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Rate the last 5 movies you've watched

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post

- - - Updated - - -

definitely a mind **** movie. you need to watch it twice to get a better feel of what's going on.
    I returned it to the store. Did some more research on it today and I think I got the general gist of it. But yeah, mind-fack for sure.

Ex Machina is on deck tonight........and the lights dim....
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Giant

I watched Rambo: First Blood for the first time. I was scrolling through Netflix yesterday and stumbled upon the Critically Acclaimed category and stopped on this one.

Since I never saw the first 3 Rambos I figured I'd give it a try. I should have read the synopsis as I waited for at least 45minutes expecting him to go to war or something... For those of you who have seen it, you can understand my disappointment!

6/10
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Genius

Let us know what you think, CoD! Loved Ex Machina, myself.

Today I saw Me and Earl and the Dying Girl. Good movie, made me cry. 7/10

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    I watched Rambo: First Blood for the first time. I was scrolling through Netflix yesterday and stumbled upon the Critically Acclaimed category and stopped on this one.

Since I never saw the first 3 Rambos I figured I'd give it a try. I should have read the synopsis as I waited for at least 45minutes expecting him to go to war or something... For those of you who have seen it, you can understand my disappointment!

6/10
    I thought First Blood was brilliant. Stallone doesn't get the credit that he deserves for his acting ability, mostly because he has done a ton of shitty movies and had a ton of shitty roles. Sadly, the Rambo franchise gets increasingly cartoonish and can't be taken seriously, but the first one was amazing. Watch the final 10 minutes and tell me that Stallone can't act...

First Blood was awesome, I give it an 8.5 out of 10.
    Rocky was amazing, a 9 out of 10 for me.

Everything else Stallone has done? Between a 1 and a 4 out of 10 :-)

Rylant

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    I thought First Blood was brilliant. Stallone doesn't get the credit that he deserves for his acting ability, mostly because he has done a ton of shitty movies and had a ton of shitty roles. Sadly, the Rambo franchise gets increasingly cartoonish and can't be taken seriously, but the first one was amazing. Watch the final 10 minutes and tell me that Stallone can't act...

First Blood was awesome, I give it an 8.5 out of 10.
    Rocky was amazing, a 9 out of 10 for me.

Everything else Stallone has done? Between a 1 and a 4 out of 10 :-)

Rylant
    I think my issue with the movie was not the flick itself but more my expectations of it being a war-type movie. For an '82 movie it had some decent effects and all but I guess the wait for something bigger to happen hindered my perception of things. I'll have to give it a try again some other time.

Yesterday I got to watch the new Mad Max movie. Some of you guys had raved about it so I figured I'd give it a try since the last time I saw a Mad Max movie was close to 20 years ago...
    All I can say is WOW! Talking about being disappointed with Rambo as my expectations for something bigger never materialized... It's the total opposite with Mad Max. I didn't expect much (figured it would be like Death Race meets Waterworld) but man was I blown out of my seat!!

Really liked this one; 9/10
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey

Dobber Sports Guru

I think my issue with the movie was not the flick itself but more my expectations of it being a war-type movie. For an '82 movie it had some decent effects and all but I guess the wait for something bigger to happen hindered my perception of things. I'll have to give it a try again some other time.
    Action movies in the 80s were completely different than now. Movies now start with action scenes, but back then, they took a while to build. Look at Die Hard. Nothing really happens for the first 25 minutes or so.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Look at Die Hard. Nothing really happens for the first 25 minutes or so.

Ummm, this happens

Minors:

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Although it you don't like Family Guy, you'll probably hate the Ted movies.
    Although I don't watch it often, I do like Family Guy, but I hated Ted. Go figure.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I watched The American with George Clooney over the weekend.

It's more of a character study than an action movie (I'd bet the sum of character dialog in the entire script only adds up to about 20-25 pages).

What's notable about it is that it is an excellent example of craft. Every shot in it is beautiful, excellent cinamatography and score. It's a good film to test a blu-ray palyer with, if nothing else.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    Let us know what you think, CoD! Loved Ex Machina, myself.

Today I saw Me and Earl and the Dying Girl. Good movie, made me cry. 7/10
    ^ BUMP!

Ex Machina was ok in my books, but just that, ok. I found it generally slow and found myself looking at the time a few times. 6.5/10 The "skin" was worth the xtra .5.

Horrible Bosses 2 - dumb and funny and I like it except for when the main cast try and all talk at the same time, then it's boarder line annoying. Some very funny scenes including the shower promo, aniston's dirty talk, chase scene w/fence, and mf jones/spacey's roles....chis pine was funny too.....1st 30mins and last 30 mins were fun to watch. 7.5/10

any suggestions out there........the vid stores seems to have a lot of duds out there....the fall should pick up......mad max out in 3 weeks i do believe.....

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Call of Doughty View Post

any suggestions out there........the vid stores seems to have a lot of duds out there....the fall should pick up......mad max out in 3 weeks i do believe.....
    What are you in the mood for? And do you mind if they are older (80's-00's)?

Minors:

The Great One

I binge watched the hobbit triology with gf- I didnt like it- athough I knew i wouldnt.

If they made the hobbit I wanted- light hearted, whimisical journey- true to the books- it would have been hugely disappointing for the majority of fans- it would have been a flop. Peter Jackson didnt work so hard to get the franchise for the hobbit- he got it for Lord of the Rings. I just dont like Lord of the Rings and I dont care if I have to have my ner membership card revoked either- Ive never liked it. I couldnt even finish the 2nd book- which NEVER happens to me. I dont like it- just dont. But it was succesful and his directorial vision was exceedingly well executed. had I been a fan i would have been amazed. As someone way too tired of common Tolkienesque themse and tropes I just was not pulled in by those films. mildly impressed? Sure- but not really invested. That being said- all the Hobbit ever could be was a prequel to Lord of the rings.The tone was nothing like the book- it almost felt like "mythology buliding"- filling in the blanks of middle earth for fans of the firt three movies. Made up orc albinos to galvanize the orcish threat, and Orlando Bloom basically stealing the show- lol! They went for the sheer epicness of the rings books- where many fans just liked the simple accesibilityof the hobbit. I like the idea of a fish out of water hobbit going into this crazy worl that neither he nor the reader know anything about- and then youre just along for the ride. The movie had so much gravitas, foreboding, and intellectual ground to cover that I never really felt that.

Maybe im just too critical but I nolikey. If you liked the LOTR films- this will be must watch territory though....

Dobber Sports Genius

Yeah, I didn't care for the Hobbit movies. Too long, the tone was all wrong, too much extrapolation, and the action was way, way too ridiculous. Just because you can do all sorts of zany sequences with CG, doesn't mean you should. At least ground things by the laws of physics and realism a bit, otherwise it might as well be a cartoon. Sometimes less is more. Too much crazy action can actually become boring after a while. A lot of directors would do well to learn this.

But these movies make piles of cash, so I guess there's no reason to change them.

Dobber Sports Genius

What are you in the mood for? And do you mind if they are older (80's-00's)?
    hit me bass, anything you got.......looking for more recent releases though....i can watch pretty much anything...just haven't found anything that looks good and that i haven't burned through already....house of cards kept me busy for 2 weeks in july...but ahem, tv...

Dobber Sports Legend

The Homesman, Tommy Lee Jones. TERRIBLE!! (4 out of 10).
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka