Page 39 of 105 FirstFirst ... 29 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 49 89 ... LastLast

Thread: Rate the last 5 movies you've watched

Dobber Sports Legend

Default Re: Rate the last 5 movies you've watched

Quote Originally Posted by Laendarian View Post
    Saw this one as well, very good movie but yeah, very intense.
    Kinda like Million Dollar Baby - great flick but I lived through it once, which is enough.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Master

I re-watched Unstoppable the other day... it is a solid movie 7.5

(Danzel AND trains? Pfft, I'm a fan of both!)
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Giant

Here are 5 that I saw recently:

- OldBoy (remake with Josh Brolin): I actually liked it; felt like Kill Bill and kept you guessing (8/10)

- John Wick: I was expecting a cheap Keanu Reeves movie with cheezy lines... There was a bit of that, but I was pleasantly surprised. It was a cool story with lots of gritty action. (8.5/10)

- Hunger Games MockingJay: I loved both the first and second one and I did not dislike this one but I felt that it was stretched out to make 2 movies out of it. If you haven't seen it yet, I suggest you wait until the 3rd one part 2 comes out and make it a back to back viewing. (7.5/10)

- Jack Reacher: A bit like John Wick, I was thinking that it would be a Hollywood cheezy action flick, but it was a smart, well paced-action thriller (8.5/10)

- Edge of Tomorrow: Another Tom Cruise flick and another hit IMO. Great idea for a movie and very entertaining! (9/10)
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Demi-God

My family cut the chord recently and have a SLING.COM subscription ($20/mo) instead of Comcast Cable ($55/mo, which incl. $20 in HD box & franchise fees).
    So, I've been getting into Netflix movies, all below are on Netflix Instant.
    A few I've watched in the last 3 months.

Before I Disappear. (8/10)
    I watched this one last night, maybe I was just in the mood for it but I thought it was great.
    Suicidal 25-yr old something gets thrust back into his niece's life. Really enjoyed this. Bowling scene was super great.
    The pre-teen girl was really excellent and complimented the suicidal uncle really well.

Frequencies. (7.5/10)
    Acting wasn't great but the concept was... very neat sci-fi concept I hadn't seen previously: super-keen kids exploring the algorithm for love.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. (8/10)
    Excellent sort of "whodunit" British Intelligence movie. Really liked this one too.
    I think this was from 10 or so years ago, really good one I hadn't seen.

Drinking Buddies. (6/10)
    Meh - girl & guy who are good friends and work at brewing company.
    Has one guy from NewGirl that I like... and the girl is a "girl next door" type, can't remember her name... but sort of that girl every guy likes as a buddy/crush.

In a World... (5/10)
    It was OK. I liked it because the characters were super quirky, but the story itself wasn't anything incredible. (About the "voice guy" that does movie summaries you hear...)

Monsters (7/10)
    Pretty neat post-apocalyptic genre type. I liked how they set it up. Acting meh, concept very good, plot meh.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Before I Disappear. (8/10)
    I watched this one last night, maybe I was just in the mood for it but I thought it was great.
    Suicidal 25-yr old something gets thrust back into his niece's life. Really enjoyed this. Bowling scene was super great.
    The pre-teen girl was really excellent and complimented the suicidal uncle really well.
    This sounds like something I would really dig. Will definitely check it out!
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. (8/10)
    Excellent sort of "whodunit" British Intelligence movie. Really liked this one too.
    I think this was from 10 or so years ago, really good one I hadn't seen.
    I love this movie! So smart, and gorgeously shot. This is in that 9+/10 range for me.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    I love this movie! So smart, and gorgeously shot. This is in that 9+/10 range for me.
    Agreed. Probably one of the best spy movies I have seen. I know it's a gripping movie when I find myself standing in front of TV not recalling having stood up from my chair.

Gary Oldman by far in my top 3 actors of all time. His other sublime Performance was in State of Grace. It's older but a must see.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Genius

Glad to see you boys rejuvenated this thread.

Imitation Game - liked it a lot....WWII meets math whiz meets Steve Jobs 8/10
    John Wick - ho hum....he'd give Arnie in Commando a run for his money with the number of kills made.. 6/10
    A most violent year ...again ho hum, one time watch and that's all she wrote. 6/10
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

The Great One

I love this thread! A few new ones added to my watch list- Still Alice, Edge of Tommorow, Whiplash and maybe Winters Bone.

Im stupid critical but heres my last five (that I actually have anything to say about anyways):

Side Effects- 6/10- I actually didnt even finish it although that was probably more about real life popping up then it being especially bad. Its definitely outside of the box which I usually like but the BIG TWIST was almost predictable in a weird way and kind of falls flat. The worst part is that its definitely that type of movie that spends most of its running time building to said twist- so when that punch in the gut moment comes up a little short- it just feels like a "meh". The choice for the female lead was... brave? I didnt dislike her perse- but shes not the typical charismatic force you see in most major releases these days.

Birdman- 7/10- Wanted to like this so bad- but just a little to elitist as someone else said- its kind of high brow and arty- a little full of itself. I also had a weird beef (and this is probably just me)- but i thought the casting was just- not bad- but incongruent. They have such a STRONG cast but weird decisions in how they're utilized. Like you have Emma Stone and you make her a weird loner- its not horrible- but it doesnt really play to her strengths. Zach Galifinkas had no laugh out loud parts- again I get it- hes probably trying to branch out- but imo hes one of the funniest people on the planet- and just dry line delivered after dry line. Im also just not a fan of Keaton as a lead at this point although theoretically on paper- he suits the character. That being said the cinematography alone makes it worth a watch. if you're a fan of the "composition" side of films its actually pretty brilliant.

Gone Girl- 8.5/10- How do you describe this movie without spoliers?? Lol- its not for everybody- but I liked it. You have to have a pretty healthy appreciation for dysfunction to fully buy into this one- but i thought it was good- in a sadistic, giddy kind of way. Bonus points for the soundtrack- Reznor original. its long though- and if you blink you miss huge plot turns so its definitely a commitment.

The Fault in Our Stars- 8/10- So 20 minutes in I thought to myself "Oh god this is one of those self absorbed, center of the universe, made for teens only movies". The thing is- it kind of is- a lot of that super sentimental "we matter" mentality- but that being said- it actually sais it in such a unique way that I found myself buying in hard. Its not sugar coated at all which is usually the problem with this genre. It ends up hitting you right in the gut. Im a sap with sad movies- but there was more than one scene i ended up tearing up. The GF however did not cry and she ended up making fun of me pretty bad on that one- lol! i think it will be too sappy for some- but like I said- it doesnt sugar coat things which makes it more palletable as far as Im concerned.

Snow Piercer 7.5/10- Everyone Ive talked to either really loves this movie or really hates it. Strangely Im right in the middle- but i think that might be because I had a rough idea what i was getting into when I put it on. My brother vehmenently HATED this and i think its because he had a different expectation thtn what it actually was. It presents itself as an action/sci-fi but ends up more as one of those metaphorical epics. I should warn you- it really is an abstractist piece at its core. It starts to become clear that the premise/environment and even a good amount of the actual scenes are not really supposed to be taken literally- if that makes any sense. If you can kind of suspend belief in reality and just kind of hitch onto the directors imgery- you will probably end up enjoying this film. Its also nice that there are some truly bizarre "what did i just watch?" moments to set it apart. If you like your action sensible though, and/or your sci-fi halfway believable- you can probably skip this one.

Dobber Sports Sage

Ex Machina 9/10 - Fantastic futuristic drama with great performances and twists. Highly recommend
    The Overnighters 7/10 - Great documentary about a town pastor whom takes on "overnighters" who come to the town looking for work in the oil booming economy. Incredible story from both sides of the debate in this one.
    Avengers (age of Ultron) 6/10 - Only a 6 'cus the first one was so good which made it hard for this one to live up to it's name. Thoroughly enjoyed this one still.
    Mad Max 7/10 - Action packed thrill ride. I loved the originals as a kid and even though Tom Hardy's character reminded me too much of his character from Lawless, I still loved this movie. Charlize Theron was fantastic and hot as hell. If you ever played Borderlands then this movie is a must.
    Run All Night 6/10 - Action packed and good cast. Great mindless movie.
    Hot Tub Time Machine 2 2/10 - Turned it off after 15 minutes. Terrible.
    The Homesman 5/10 - Worth watching. Interesting story and westernish feel.
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    - Edge of Tomorrow: Another Tom Cruise flick and another hit IMO. Great idea for a movie and very entertaining! (9/10)
    Yes. This was an excellent film. Highly recommend it. I think they renamed it for DVD sales. But this movie didn't get the hype or the love that it should have really.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports All-Star

Not sure if this was posted but, Selma was very good. 8.5 out of 10 for me. I enjoy true stories and this one really had an impact. David Oyelowo, who portrayed Martin Luther King, was excellent. Oprah was great as well. Okay, maybe not.

Its a must for the historian.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    But this movie (Edge of Tomorrow) didn't get the hype or the love that it should have really.
    True, it really started picking up some steam towards the end of its theatrical release. Once it hit DVDs, the secret was out, but I still feel that many have not heard of it yet.

Lol, for those of you reading this, don't expect an Oscar-worthy movie; it's simply a suprisingly good flick with a clever twist.
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey

Dobber Sports Genius

Yeah newf, they renamed Edge of Tomorrow "Live Die Repeat." What a terrible title! I have no idea what drove them to change the title, especially to something so on-the-nose and dumb as Live Die Repeat. Ugh.

Others have mentioned a couple movies that I forgot I saw recently, so I'll quickly comment on them:

The Imitation Game - This movie was excellent. Great performances and a truly compelling story. 8/10

Birdman - I saw it because of all the positive reviews, and I hated it. Way too self-indulgent, and I can't stand when Hollywood gets up its own butt; that's exactly what this movie (and the response to it) screamed to me. No likeable characters, and it felt devoid of any real soul. 5/10 The 'high' grade is only because I can appreciate that there was some talent on display here, and the end featured a line that made me laugh out loud, so I've got to give it that. Still, I do not recommend it.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    Yeah newf, they renamed Edge of Tomorrow "Live Die Repeat." What a terrible title! I have no idea what drove them to change the title, especially to something so on-the-nose and dumb as Live Die Repeat. Ugh.
    Edge Of Tomorrow was a fun summer blockbuster with a stealth bomber of a title, constantly slipping away from the searching radar of memory. You’d be excused for thinking the movie was called “Tom Cruise Groundhog-Day-with-guns,” since every conversation about it inevitably focused on the premise and not the name—a name we can now no longer remember. Wait, give us a second to look at the top of this paragraph. Okay, Edge Of Tomorrow, got it.

Apparently Warner Brother’s marketing department agrees, because the DVD and Blu-ray packaging for... that movie... dramatically downplays the original title in favor of the film’s tagline, Live. Die. Repeat. That phrase, besides having a certain memory-grabbing urgency, also has the benefit of describing things that actually happen in the movie. And so it now appears in giant letters on the cover, with the film’s original title, *cough*, shoved down to the bottom of the box and smushed into what looks like a single word. Both titles appear on the spine of the DVD/Blu-ray case and on iTunes, which now calls the film Live Die Repeat: Edge Of Tomorrow. Perhaps none of this would have been necessary if they’d stuck with the original name, All You Need Is Kill.

http://www.avclub.com/article/edge-t...epeat-h-208199

Minors: