Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Monster Trade : Jays and Marlins

Dobber Sports Deity

As per Shi Davidi, the trade will probably take another day or two before going through.

https://twitter.com/ShiDavidi/status/269174911266877440

"#Jays-#Marlins blockbuster may take another day or two to get finalized with paperwork, physicals and approvals to get through. #dontpanic"
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Star

I can see Boni/Maicer splitting time at 2B with Boni getting some starts in the OF too.

Sure they gave up some defense in Escobar (and Hechavarria!), but with Reyes you're also gaining more runs per game.

Besides, it's the Marlins. Give them a couple of years and they'll probably give everyone right back to us :P
    Yahoo Full keeper Dynasty League | 20 Teams, 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G 3BN |
    Categories: (G A +- PPP PIM FOW SOG HITS BLK | W SV GAA SV% SHO)
    C - Monahan, Kadri, Barzal, Dubois
    LW - Marchand, Benn,
    Guentzel, Kreider
    RW - Laine, DeBrincat, Fischer, Tuch
    D - Karlsson, Muzzin, Niskanen, Skjei, Matheson, Forbort
    G - Bishop, Lehner
    BN - Jankowski, Perlini
    Farm
    C - Norris
    RW - Kyrou
    D -
    Brannstrom
    G - Gillies

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Ys we are giving up a better defender at the SS position, but come on here.. Reyes is a much better hitter, base runner, and a number 1 hitter to boot............

We are gaining a player who lead the NL in batting just 1 year ago. And to top it all off, we just got a number 1 and number 2 pitcher in this deal.. As of right now, we robbed the Marlins.. (the prospects we gave up will be good down the road)

This puts less pressure on Morrow and Romero.. This also gives Bautista and Encarcion someone on base to knock in when they are up, unlike last season..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Administrator

As optimistiic as I am about this situation who else is ready for mid-July when Johnson, Morrow and Reyes are all hurt, the team is at least 5 back in the division race and everyone is calling for AA's head?
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    As optimistiic as I am about this situation who else is ready for mid-July when Johnson, Morrow and Reyes are all hurt, the team is at least 5 back in the division race and everyone is calling for AA's head?
    I'm also not a huge fan of Josh Johnson becoming a free agent after next season.. And his agent has already stated that his client would be a fool to accept a extension from the BlueJays next season..

I just hope he plays like a stud and gets us into the playoffs again..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I'm also not a huge fan of Josh Johnson becoming a free agent after next season.. And his agent has already stated that his client would be a fool to accept a extension from the BlueJays next season..

I just hope he plays like a stud and gets us into the playoffs again..
    Given team's propensity for overpaying for starters regardless of injury status/history I'm inclined to agree with Johnson's agent. Johnson could go down, miss the entire year and still get just about as much money in free agency as he could get from the Jays right now after the down year he had.

If Johnson goes on to have a great year then he's looking at a huge bump in value.

Personally, I hope he just stays healthy this year and can help the team play some meaningful game sin September. I'm not putting playoffs or bust expectations on this team. Too much can go wrong even when you have a ton of talent. As big as this trade is for the Jays their biggest move is yet to come. They still need to bring in a quality manager and establish some real leadership in the clubhouse.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ninja

Hilarious video lol, for some reason has Kelly Johnson in it...but whatever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=w2T3uyvQcGM

'Alex Anthopoulos mode'

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Trade approved, this wasn't about making the Marlins sweat, it was about making the Jays sweat.

If this deal was between the Marlins and Yankees, it would've been approved immediately after the physical's were completed.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Banned

Well as per usual, and something most people should have expected, the Jays are crap. I can't believe how underrated the Sox were too.

The Jays traded for a bunch of underachieving, injury prone players, and a knuckleballer who had a career year in his 40's. There's spending money and spending money wisely. The Jays didn't. They need to purge these guys as the Sox did last year (Crawford, Beckett, Gonzalez).

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Well as per usual, and something most people should have expected, the Jays are crap. I can't believe how underrated the Sox were too.

The Jays traded for a bunch of underachieving, injury prone players, and a knuckleballer who had a career year in his 40's. There's spending money and spending money wisely. The Jays didn't. They need to purge these guys as the Sox did last year (Crawford, Beckett, Gonzalez).
    Pretty easy for you to say now though....I didn't see you post about it when it happened.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Pretty easy for you to say now though....I didn't see you post about it when it happened.
    Page 2, and Page 3

First thought, great deal. But then you go deeper, and these same guys made up the core of a team that went 69-93 last year. Obviously more to that, though, like how Ozzie Guillen sucks. Kind of like the Red Sox deal a few months ago.

Optimistic deals and signings in Toronto always disappoint in the end. Let's see if this is different.
    The Red Sox will be adding multiple players, so they will probably still be better on paper at the end of the day.
    One reason they are even more crap then I expected is that Brett Lawrie and JC Arencibia are awful.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Page 2, and Page 3

One reason they are even more crap then I expected is that Brett Lawrie and JC Arencibia are awful.
    .............................my bad

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    .............................my bad
    No worries. I wanted to see the Jays make the playoffs too.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Thank you!!!

Everyone universally accepts that Arencibia is awful.

But whenever I call out Lawrie for being an overrated p.o.s., I generally get in trouble with my fellow Jays fans.
    I'm sorry, but he is. Loads of raw talent - sure.
    But he's like "Meat" from Bull Durham. Just an immature kid who is more mouth than anything else.
    The Tyler Seguin of baseball

Dobber Sports Stud

The Jays make me sick and I can't even stand to watch (can't even make it through a game anymore).

AA will never live this one down and PLEASE don't tell me how they've been unlucky with injuries.....they traded for guys who have horrible histories of injuries and a pitcher who's at retirement age!! Gamble....fail....of the epic variety and now over half of the top prospects are gone.....WTF!!!!!

JJ is good as gone and the Jays will be lucky to get anything for him

Ditto Buehrle who wasn't happy with Toronto from the get go.

Bonifaco?!? Barely a major leaguer

Reyes is going to end up being the only player of substance the Jays landed in this fiasco by next season