Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Happy Halloween!

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Happy Halloween!

To all you trick or treaters out there, or those simply handing out candy to the kiddies (my job tonight), have a safe Halloween!

For your enjoyment, here are 13 strange Halloween facts for you to think about today.

1. Halloween celebrates the Christian holiday of All Hallows Eve (followed by All Saints Day on November 1). But the Christian holiday is likely rooted in the Celtic holiday, Samhein, or a number of other pre-Christian harvest festivals.

2. In Great Britain, Jack-O-Lanterns are traditionally made from turnips. The Halloween custom came to American through Irish immigrants, and since turnips weren’t cheap state-side, Americans used pumpkins. Today, pumpkins are used worldwide, to the disappointment of turnip farmers everywhere.

3. The Jack-O-Lantern tradition comes from another Celtic tale. Jack tricked the Devil into paying for his drink, so the Devil gave Jack a hellish ember. But crafty Jack placed the ember safely into a turnip, which he carved and carried with him so as to scare away any future hellish encounters.

4. Pumpkin carving in bulk is a popular Guinness World Record. The proud Halloween enthusiasts of Highwood, Illinois took the record in 2011 with 30,919 simultaneously lit Jack-O-Lanterns.

5. Trick or Treating has a short history. In 19th century Scotland and Ireland, there is some record of children travelling door-to-door praying for souls or performing for money or cakes on All Hallows Eve. However, the tradition is a short step from the medieval practice of souling, in which beggars went door to door on October 31 to pray for souls in return for food.

6. Sugar rationing in Europe and America from WWI and WWII kept kids off candy until the late 1940s. Radio programs at the time joked that children would have to explain to adults what trick or treating was, and many adult groups opposed the practice as it encouraged extortion and begging.

7. A 1951 Peanuts comic strip can be credited with the popular spread of trick or treating as we know it nationwide. So dress up as Snoopy if you want to be historically accurate.

8. Oh, and candy-makers are pretty happy about that. Halloween is a $6 billion industry.

9. But with or without candy, everyone loves a Halloween party. Traditionally, a Halloween Cake was baked with a thimble inside. Whoever got the thimble in their slice was to be unfortunate in love for the next year.

10. These days, most major cities see the tourism benefits of major Halloween events. Salem, Massachusetts and New Orleans are the traditional hotspots for celebrating in the U.S. New Orleans holds the current world record for largest Halloween Party with 17,777 costumed revelers at once.

11. But what if you aren’t in America? Of course you can find parties all over the U.K., and the French have joined. The French village of Limoges attracted nearly 50,000 partiers last year. Several European countries celebrate a version of trick-or-treating on St. Martin's Day on November 11.

12. If you are lucky enough to be in Mexico on October 31 (or the early morning of November 1), enjoy Day of the Dead festivities. Kids still trick-or-treat, but are rewarded with candy skulls.

13. Lastly, be safe out there. Statistically, the biggest danger on Halloween is alcohol poisoning. There are no reported incidents of razors in candy or poisoning (except by parents).
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

First Halloween in my new house so I'll be handing out the candy. Unfortunately I live on a street that currently leads to a dead end because it's an unfinished new construction area so I might get a few people who show up at the door if any.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    First Halloween in my new house so I'll be handing out the candy. Unfortunately I live on a street that currently leads to a dead end because it's an unfinished new construction area so I might get a few people who show up at the door if any.
    I have the same issue. I live on a dead end road so I am doubting I will get many too. Its my first year living in this house so I have no idea of numbers. My last house would get me close to 200 trick or treaters.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Interesting fact. On this day in 1926, Houdini died in Detroit,MI.

Go figure, even Paulina celebrates Halloween...

@SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Ninja

The Great Pumpkin will be here this year I know it!

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post

Same problem here, eric, no takers. Now....my wife will tell you it's because I sit on the front lawn on an over sized rocking chair, in nothing but an adult diaper, holding a bowl of lollipops.

But "Psssh!" I say, I'm entitled to a costume. Besides, she knows nothing about traffic patterns.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Go figure, even Paulina celebrates Halloween...

I was secretly hoping someone would post that picutre.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    7. A 1951 Peanuts comic strip can be credited with the popular spread of trick or treating as we know it nationwide. So dress up as Snoopy if you want to be historically accurate.

Neat... I didn't know Halloween as a holiday was so relatively young.
    Interesting.

My 3-year old daughter will be enjoying her first Halloween where she kind of understands what is going on... so that should be pretty cool.

I had a really strange realization yesterday that made me feel super old: I can not remember a single costume I ever wore... ever. WTF. How does any North American kid not remember a single halloween identity? (Must be something wrong with me... don't reply to that comment)

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I had a really strange realization yesterday that made me feel super old: I can not remember a single costume I ever wore... ever. WTF. How does any North American kid not remember a single halloween identity? (Must be something wrong with me... don't reply to that comment)
    When I was in grade 1, my mother dressed me up one halloween as a Black person. Now, this was a LONG time ago. The last thing my mom is, is a racist, so this was one of her highly misguided decisions (she did make a LOT of these while I was growing up), but I think it was innocent. So, I am at school, and one of the kids in grade 5 or 6, was dressed up by his mother as a Ku Klux Klan member with the hood and everything (Another misguided decision by a parent???). This kid chased me around the school all day laughing the entire time. I remember running from him, but I had NO idea why he was chasing me; I thought he was dressed as a ghost! To top it off, the very strict Christian school that I was attending at the time, didn't seem bothered by any of this in the least. Oh how things have changed...

Rylant

Dobber Sports Stud

My mom dressed me up as a vampire one year and used shoe polish to darken my hair and slick it back. It took a week for it to come out - I was pissed, but I figure the number of pillow cases she had to wash made up for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    When I was in grade 1, my mother dressed me up one halloween as a Black person. Now, this was a LONG time ago. The last thing my mom is, is a racist, so this was one of her highly misguided decisions (she did make a LOT of these while I was growing up), but I think it was innocent. So, I am at school, and one of the kids in grade 5 or 6, was dressed up by his mother as a Ku Klux Klan member with the hood and everything (Another misguided decision by a parent???). This kid chased me around the school all day laughing the entire time. I remember running from him, but I had NO idea why he was chasing me; I thought he was dressed as a ghost! To top it off, the very strict Christian school that I was attending at the time, didn't seem bothered by any of this in the least. Oh how things have changed...

Rylant
    Oh good lord.....uhhhh....yeah...moving on....
    @SmittysRant

I noticed no one commented on my costume this year?!?

@SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I keep coming back to this thread just to check out Paulina.

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    I keep coming back to this thread just to check out Paulina.
    You would think there'd be some nekked ones out there. Not like she's shy.
    @SmittysRant