Thread: Konrad Abelshauser

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Konrad Abelshauser

I've been watching this kid develop with the Halifax Mooseheads over the past couple years and I think it's finally time he started making his way onto peoples 'watch lists'. I'm still not convinced he's worth picking up in any but the deepest of leagues but stay tuned....

He's benefiting greatly from running the Mooseheads lethal PP this year but he's certainly not just along from the ride, he's a driving force. In 14GP he's 1G + 16A!

My major beef with the kid is that he's very reluctant to let his shot go from the point, almost always electing to fake the shot and then dish off. It's worked well for him so far but it won't last forever. On those odd occastions I've actually seen him shoot it's left me even more confused because the kid can unload!

He's become a very responsible d-man, his puck distribution skills are solid, he's listed at 6'5" 225 and and he seems to have a good mind for the game. Cap that all off with a very good attitude and I'm really starting to picture him in a SJ jersey a few years from now.

Dobber Sports Stud

Dobber Sports Padawan

I love watching the cycle on the PP...

Mackinnon to Drouin back to Mackinnon to Abeltshauser on the point, winds up, fakes the shot, and passes back to Drouin.

The guy loves to fake and pass.
    Setting up the play.

Dobber Sports Novice

He's good...but is he NHL good? I'm not quite sold on him. Although he could surprise.

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

I have him stashed away in two of my keepers for what it's worth. I jumped on that wagon before his season started. Though playing with two of the top 2013 draft picks will make you look good regardless.
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Novice

Abeltshauser has been steadily improving his numbers each year (he is the benefit of a good team), and that is what you want to see out of a prospect.

The rate he is scoring at in junior, combined with the fact he is a big boy (6'5 225lbs) makes him a potential NHL defenseman to me. I think he could be a #4-6 D-man on a NHL team that plays on the 2nd PP unit if it all works out for him.

Regardless, he is on my "watch list"

Dobber Sports Stud

His stats are being seriously padded playing for such a dominant team but I think he has a very good shot at being an NHL d-man he's a big kid, he handles the puck very well and has a good shot (that he doesn't use). He will not be a 1st pairing guy but there's a chance he could work his way into 2nd unit time if things pan out.

I'm expecting a slow progression into the NHL followed by a slow progression towards the 20-25 point range. If a guy like this hold value in your league (he does in mine) then by all means stash him and be patient. If an upside like that does nothing for you then move on.

Dobber Sports Genius

Haven't been to any games this season but , saw a few last year.

Sounds like he's not as "lanky" as he was.That was a big thing , he needed to "beef' up some , sounds like he did a bit but , 225lbs. for a 6'5" frame isn't as beefy as it could be.Another 10-20 lbs. would give him some "umph"!

I agree the fake shot to pass move will not continue to work forever but , it's working now and that's what matters for the team.

When he makes it to S.J. I'm sure they'll help him with the use of his booming slapper , much like Charas'.

Still early in his career, he's got several yrs. to go before he's fulltime NHL ready , IMO.
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

Dobber Sports Stud

Took his game to another level in this years QMJHL playoffs and finished with 7+13 = 20 in 17 games played. Ouellet was the next closest d-man in playoff scoring with 7+9 = 16 in 15 games.

Here's a link to his career stats in the Q. Gotta like the upward trajectory even though some of this can obviously be attributed to a vastly improved Mooseheads squad.

I used to consider him a very fringe prospect but he's starting to look more and more like an NHLer and someone people might want to keep an eye on in deep leagues.